Star Trek: Lower Decks

The whole initial premise of the third episode could only have been written by someone who's watched a lot of Star Trek. Still rather silly though.

Spoiler

But the gag at the very end genuinely made me laugh, so it's doing something right.

Once the series has settled down a bit half way through and doesn't try quite so hard to be constantly "wacky" it's actually quite a solid little bit of "Trek".

I still refuse to watch The Orville.

After the whole

Spoiler

Ship fly by bit

In Episode 9 I honestly can't tell if it's being reverent or taking the piss. I think it's treading a very nice line in subtle roasting that works pretty well for Trek.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the season finale!

Look what happens when people who can write actual characters are given a new Trek show for once. A bit of knockabout fun with some nostalgia thrown in.

God, Discovery sucks.

Overall it's pretty throwaway, and can't quite settle on the tone it wants to follow until the end of the series, but I think a second season could end up being very good if it stays consistent with where it went with the finale.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

After the whole

Hide contents

Ship fly by bit

In Episode 9 I honestly can't tell if it's being reverent or taking the piss. I think it's treading a very nice line in subtle roasting that works pretty well for Trek.

It was a nice mixture of the 2, IMO. A brilliant pisstake of TMP.

15 hours ago, Benny said:

After the whole

Hide contents

Ship fly by bit

I just finished the season - bit of both, I think, like you.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Anyone know why they ended up with uniforms from both eras for that last bit?

There have been plenty of examples of different uniforms being used at the same time. TNG + DS9, which I always assumed was some ship/station thing but then everyone wore them. Generations has a mishmash of those uniforms for no good reason. Discovery + Enterprise had different uniforms. One was deep space for looking friendly, while Discovery was a boring jump suit for a boring TV show. 

While there is fast communication and replicators making whatever you want, it generally seems like you end with the uniform you start a mission with too. Why didn't Voyager get some new threads later in the series?

The real answer of course is that it's a silly telly show. 

2 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Loved the final episode of this. A few bits had me with a smile on my face. 

If they can build on that then I’m looking forward to what comes next. 

Yep. I mean it's not without its flaws, and comedy is always subjective, but for me it was the most straightforwardly enjoyable Star Trek series for 20 years, with genuinely likeable characters too. I'd take more Lower Decks over Discovery or Picard any day.