IGNORED

Turn your Nintendo Switch into a fantastic emulation machine

dumpster

Appreciated. 

I tried out the DC and Saturn emulators on my P30 Pro and they work so well I am still a little shocked.

Do you have Power Stone running on the Switch with both joycons supported? This would be superb.

I’ve asked what the serial number is from the seller, let’s see. EDIT: XAJ005 = apparently patched, so no go.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether Netplay works on Retroarch Switch? If so, anyone up for it?

And: does PSP/PsOne emulation work properly on Retroarch Switch? I have massive problems getting Wipeout to run well. Does the core accept iso files? Using my Wipeout bin/cue files I only get to see some videos, not the game.

Edit: works now.

Overall, wow. Emerald coast in Sonic Adventure in full speed on Switch. Power Stone 1 and 2 run flawlessly. Cosmic Smash too.

Space Channel 2 has massive graphical glitches though. 

Can you play powerstone with two joy cons, docked? Redream was the better emulator I tried on Android. 

theres a guy selling a switch near me for 300euro that’s a good serial number. 

Banned from online though. 

EDIT: offered me 200euro for the switch only (with joycons), being as I already have a switch. Hmmm!

48 minutes ago, sharak said:

Should I get a second switch? Do I wait for the latest one(s) to be Hackable? ARGH

That's the way I've gone, keep one purely for emulation and one for online, it's not the cheapest way of doing things, but really you only need the tablet portion anyway as you already have a dock, Joycon etc, but yeah, of course I tend to have both of them on me at any given time, portable yes... but only in a bag :-p

1 hour ago, sharak said:

I’d have to get a jig thing off amazon as well then, or do some dodgy paper clip thing.

Sorely tempted... if Dreamcast emu is any good. Two player power stone on the TV is what i want. Also portable!

I started off with a knackered joycon, soldered the correct pins across and used that, in the end I bought one of those payload injectors, much easier, and only about £8 from Ali, obviously it tok ages to arrive, but it works a treat and I can keep several payloads on it, then swap the systm micro SD as and when I fancy using Android etc.

I'll read up a lot about it in the morning. The Switch I'm being offered is banned, but I dont think has CFW installed. Anything I should be asking him? 200euros isn't free but it's also tempting enough.

There are next-to-no videos on YT showing Dreamcast emulation on the Switch. I would love to know how that works before committing. Like, can both joycons be easily used to play power stone etc? Is it best to use Retroarch? If so, which firmware should I be installing? Cheers!

Wipeout XL and a run flawlessly on Switch :wub:

@sharak Depends on the game, thb. Space Channel 2, for instance, is unplayable due to graphical glitches. Powerstone 1 and 2 or Sonic Adventure or Rez run without any flaws. There is joycon splitting but given the amount of help posts on gbatemp I doubt you can use two joy cons with PS. 

No two player for power stone then @alex3d? Which emu?

I’ll l try it on my android when I get home first. Joy cons work on my phone. Crazy world. 

EDIT: So, two joycons work in ReDream. Can ReDream work on the Switch?

I made a little video:

So, I would basically turn any second-switch I have into an Android tablet of sorts. Does that output ? HDMI? Too many questions before I pony up 200 big ones.

It did work flawlessly - until it didn't ;) I have no clue what changed. It does seem to be a bit hit and miss. It appears to me that changing a setting in a one core (e.g. Rearmed) does affect a totally different one (Flycast). The only setting I changed was "dithering" (?) in Rearmed for Wipeout. 

So, yes, in general it does require some effort in setting it up and keeping it running, so do prepare for that mentally. It doesn't seem to be a system you set up once and don't have to adjust for the next three years. At least on Switch.

edit: Wipeout/Rearmed still runs flawlessly. Flycast stopped working (suddenly and randomly).

You can put LineageOS on the Switch, turning it into an Android tablet with Joycons. Redream works perfectly (im told) but i never bothered with it because (afaik) you cant have lineageOS and Atmosphere on the same SD Card and I can't be bothered with having 2 cards to switch about.  

Meanwhile, I had a flawless experience with Flycast and I now find some games crash with a regularity that is quite worrying, if was perfect before . Maybe there has been an update? But with Flycast, if the game works it works perfectly. But some games now work perfectly, then crash. Which isnt helpful.

I haven't tried DC emulation on my Switch, yet, but I have the unlocked Redream software on my S9+ and bar Win CE titles it works beautifully. I use an 8bitdo SN30+ and phone clip and it really is great. Will have to load up the DC emu on my Switch and compare. If it plays Sega Rally 2 well I'll be very happy.

What's the DC emu used on Switch?

I really need this to firm up in terms of whether it works or not before I commit to purchasing this nearby unit. 200 notes, including transparent joy cons with a dpad conversion. It’s banne, mind you, so it’ll only ever be useful for modding.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. My phone runs ReDream very well, which means I could pair two controllers to it, get a USB C to hdmi cable, and job done. No need for the second switch,.

@amc it seems to be reicast 

But hmmm.

4 minutes ago, sharak said:

Shit! 

I appreciate the research. Arses. I guess this can be sorted, mind you. What a pain!

The two-player Power Stone dream is still alive, mind you.

I saw something on Reddit this morning, and cannot find it now, but someone was talking about having a Quad Boot on the Switch, allowing LineageOS and CFW and regular Switch and something else , all on the same memory card.  That sounds like a good solution, but I can't find it now and wondering if it was all a dream.  They called it Quad+ in the post if that helps.

Damn - So Flycast seems to have become flaky for no real reason - games I have played flawlessly no longer work or crash after a couple of minutes.  What's changed?  Time to explore other things.

SO:

If you install LineageOS on the Switch it turns it into an Android Tablet with nice joycon controllers.  I saw the earlier post of @MikeBeaver playing Saturn Sega Rally that way. 

LineageOS runs ReDream perfectly - so I'm told, but I haven't tried it. You get the Google Play store, so you can download from there. 

But - you need a seperate memory card for LineageOS and I can't be bothered with the extra hassle.   

If you use Atmosphere as your Custom Firmware then you can do allsorts of cool emulation stuff and I have been extremely impressed, but Dreamcast is Flaky and Saturn is unplayable.  

HOWEVER

On Reddit earlier I saw this post, where someone talks about a QUAD+ boot, giving you LineageOS, Atmosphere CFW, Normal Switch Firmware and something else, all on one memory card! Hurrah!

But I'm fucked if I can find online how to do it.  Anyone?

Yeah, that was quite a while back, I still have Android setup on that memory card just havn't turned the machine off and swapped over to it in a while ( Since then probably ), Sega Rally ran quite nicely though, I might firre it back up and see what's happening with it.

If the ReDream dev made his app for the Switch we’d be OK... but he charges for the “pro” version anyway.

My Android phone(s) run ReDream perfectly, and I can have HDMI out and BT controllers...

But,... I want this shit on the Switch, annoying.,

OK, OK, I'll put this to bed once and for all, here is a small vid of me running Powerstone on ReDream on the Switch, via ReDream, it's the free version ( of course, I'm a skinflint :p .

Seems to run OK, controllers DO work detatched, but you need to sync them up, and you have to have a pair of Joycon for each player, you can't use one each as there are not enough buttons, there might be a setting in there somewhere to use them individually, if you know of this, I am happy to test it out for you.