The Best Videogame Player In The World

squall

Via https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-best-videogame-player-in-the-world.1467433/

Registration goes up soon on: https://culture.vg/

Full game list:

Physical Challenges
1. 2D Shooting (Mushihime-sama)
2. 2D Fighting (Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st])
3. 3D Fighting (For Honor)
4. First-person Shooting (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege)
5. Racing (Dirt Rally)
6. Sports (Steep)

Mental Challenges
1. Real-time Tactics (Planetary Annihilation: Titans)
2. Real-time Strategy (Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion)
3. Turn-based Strategy (Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword)
4. City-building (Factorio)
5. Simulation (IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad)
6. Survival (Rust)

Btw, this is where the name of the tournament comes from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon

Traditionally, the title of "World's Greatest Athlete" has been given to the person who wins the decathlon, thus the world's greatest athlete of all times is the recordman of decathlon (Kevin Mayer as of September 2018). This began when King Gustav V of Sweden told Jim Thorpe, "You, sir, are the world's greatest athlete" after Thorpe won the decathlon at the Stockholm Olympics in 1912.

Besides that, I'm amused by the godawful selection of games, highlights including: 

In a challenge designed to emulate a solo sport highlighting individual prowess, choosing a team-focussed FPS

Labelling an RTS as an RTT

Labelling an RTS/Survival hybrid as a city builder

Lol Steep

Lol For Honor

In fact, the bit where the choices have almost all gone painfully out of their way to avoid any 'obvious' choices is particularly bemusing, like creating a decathlon where cheese rolling has replaced the high jump; similarly the part where half of the games are of indefinite/extreme length, like structuring a decathlon with a few marathons padding out the middle. 

Odd. 

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Besides that, I'm amused by the godawful selection of games, highlights including: 

In a challenge designed to emulate a solo sport highlighting individual prowess, choosing a team-focussed FPS

Labelling an RTS as an RTT

Labelling an RTS/Survival hybrid as a city builder

Lol Steep

Lol For Honor

In fact, the bit where the choices have almost all gone painfully out of their way to avoid any 'obvious' choices is particularly bemusing, like creating a decathlon where cheese rolling has replaced the high jump; similarly the part where half of the games are of indefinite /extreme length, like building a decathlon with a few marathons padding out the middle. 

Odd. 

Their choices ARE the obvious choices.

1962-2018 Game of the Year Awards

https://culture.vg/reviews/awards/game-of-the-year.html

Practically all the games are GOTYs.

I'm shit at literally every competitive game but if they start giving out awards for sheer persistence having played Animal Crossing every day for 5 years or Legit collecting all 802 Pokemon with me as the Original Trainer someone give me a shout. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

To be fair most games are voted GOTY somewhere.

I wouldn't say that considering that Steam has 25,000+ games.

Besides, the site I linked is not "somewhere", it is the greatest videogame publication of all time, by a huge margin.

15 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I'm shit at literally every competitive game but if they start giving out awards for sheer persistence having played Animal Crossing every day for 5 years or Legit collecting all 802 Pokemon with me as the Original Trainer someone give me a shout. 

Any fool can compete at a competitive activity, this is true courage.

7 minutes ago, K said:

The whole thing's set up by icycalm. Not sure many people will want to receive official recognition by icycalm as the best gamer in the world.

I think it is clear the contest is not meant for "many people". The man who is even merely willing to compete in Under Night and Factorio is a superman indeed, let alone the actual winner of such an epic competition. Most gamers, like most people in life, are only involved with a couple of different activities. The man who boxes AND studies quantum mechanics is an exception, and that's who this contest is made for: exceptions.

A jack of all trades is a master of none.

With ten diverse games like this, and the time investment required to be any good at any of them, surely all that will happen is competitors will be decent at one game and mediocre at the rest?

The Most Consistently Mediocre Videogame Player In The World?

7 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

A jack of all trades is a master of none.

With ten diverse games like this, and the time investment required to be any good at any of them, surely all that will happen is competitors will be decent at one game and mediocre at the rest?

The Most Consistently Mediocre Videogame Player In The World?

Tell that to the decathletes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon

Traditionally, the title of "World's Greatest Athlete" has been given to the person who wins the decathlon

This ain’t the 80s anymore where the Billy Mitchell’s and the likes we’re expert level players at the varied but small pool of basic games. Games have changed a lot since then, no one can be good at “all” games, it’s not feasible or realistic.

This does make me think about why I don’t watch competitive gaming, even though I’ll tune in to the Olympics occasionally and I finally grasp NFL’s JRPG-esque turn structure. Everything’s about the meta and strategy, maybe a big multi-game thing would let you focus on the broader gamer skills that are as easily readable as 100m Run Fast at the olympics?

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

This does make me think about why I don’t watch competitive gaming, even though I’ll tune in to the Olympics occasionally and I finally grasp NFL’s JRPG-esque turn structure. Everything’s about the meta and strategy, maybe a big multi-game thing would let you focus on the broader gamer skills that are as easily readable as 100m Run Fast at the olympics?

This tournament, on top of showcasing THE BEST VIDEOGAME PLAYER IN THE WORLD, has the added advantage of BEING ACTUALLY FUN TO PLAY.

Think about it for a moment. In EVERY OTHER tournament you are going up against aspies who do nothing than play that single game for 20 years straight. There's no fun in fighting these guys. But in this one, though winning THE WHOLE THING will be a superhuman feat, winning a SINGLE event will be feasible for far more people.

That's on top of the game selection being stratospherically superior to the tired Counter-Strike/StraCraft/Overwatch/MOBA shite that everyone else is competing in.

3 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Is this like those American sports where the winner is the 'world champion'?

12 games in 12 different genres - but mostly ones played predominantly by American PC gamers.

They forgot to add hentai games and Super Mario Dumbed-down world, for sure. Maybe next year.

The organizers are European, fyi. The most titles are made by European publishers or developers, and no "American PC gamer" has heard of Mushihime-sama or Under Night In-Birth.

Now that I think about it, they actually did this in 2002 or 2003 - I went to the qualifying stage in Glasgow and did miserably but came away with a GameCube baseball cap, a PS2 shirt and an Xbox... something? Maybe nothing? One of the events was a 2D fighter on the Xbox.