Homecoming - Prime Original Starring Julia Roberts

ckny

This just appeared on my Fire Stick, I’d not heard anything about it previously but it has my interest just by virtue of having Julia Roberts in the lead role. Reviews so far are positive (94% Rotten Tomatoes at time of writing). Has anyone seen any of it yet?

On 05/11/2018 at 06:29, ckny said:

Watched the first two episodes last night and this is very, very good. Half hour episodes too which is so refreshing for a non-comedy.

My thoughts exactly. Absolutely loving the 70's paranoid thriller vibe, shooting style and score. Reminds me of a Soderberg film in some ways.

Amazed this isn’t getting more love on here. 

Finished the final episode tonight and absolutely loved it. Such a bold show, unlike anything else on TV. The music and direction works really well and has you hooked. The shorter episode length really suits it too. 

17 hours ago, pledge said:

This is meant to be out of focus around the edges sometimes right?

I thought my telly was fucked at first but it seems to be a fashionable technique using widescreen lenses. Saw the same thing in the little drummer girl last night. 

Watched all of these over the weekend with the wife. Absolutely loved it and the short episodes were just so pleasing.

Also, watching on a 4k/HDR tele really enhanced it with all the intentional blurring and effects. Really, really good stuff. :)

Finished this up tonight and I thought it was fantastic. The plot was pretty slight but the acting, music, the sets, the design and the photography were all top class. The 30 minute episodes were just the right length, I've had enough of Netflix dragging the arse out of everything and making everything an hour. 

Just finished watching this. Fucking hell, this is one of the best things I've seen in ages. The borders! The symbolic borders are one of the cleverest filmic techniques I've seen in long time. The music. The fucking music from various films is incredible. God damn. Just amazing TV. Incredible stuff.

On 11/11/2018 at 19:19, pledge said:

This is meant to be out of focus around the edges sometimes right?

A few shows do this now, Sabrina is another I noticed it in. The first time I noticed it in modern tv was the ok Canadian drama continuum. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had this tagged for a while and watched first 2 last night, knowing nothing about it at all. Kept thinking in first ep 'this looks like Mr Robot' and the end credits answered that mystery.

It's definitely good to watch totally cold so staying away from the internet on it - love the whole tone of it and visual style, which even though being in the modern era seems to be shot to look like its set in the 70s.

The tight half hour eps are great too - so many shows drag their run time out as the people behind it think they have a far more important story to tell than they actually do  - nice to see something brisk like this, the eps flew by.

On 13/11/2018 at 16:11, Len said:

Watched all of these over the weekend with the wife. Absolutely loved it and the short episodes were just so pleasing.

Also, watching on a 4k/HDR tele really enhanced it with all the intentional blurring and effects. Really, really good stuff. :)

Please tell me how to find the 4k HDR version. All I'm getting is the non-hdr. :(

edit: Turns out it's not an option on PS4, but is on my TV, found it on the TV app. :)

On 13/11/2018 at 18:01, pledge said:

Listening to the original version of this. Is there money in podcasts? They have Catherine Keener, Oscar Isaac, and David Schwimmer - but it is free except for a really short advert at the start of each episode.

Gimlet make a lot of podcasts, they seem to have a sustainable model.

Incidentally, do try Sandra if you liked Homecoming.

Loved this. Won't be surprised if it doesn't get renewed* though, the trailer for it was fucking terrible. The only reason I gave this a shot was the feedback in here. Performances, writing, camerawork (something I rarely comment on, but it really stuck out here) were all top notch. Really brilliant.

*Doesn't need to be. This was a great self-contained story. There's no need for any more. 

fake edit: A quick google tells me there is a second season on the way. Hmmm. 

• 2 weeks later...

agree, it was a fairly standard story made all the more interesting by how it was told and acted. 

a little undiscovered gem that is a perfect thing to fit into a few quiet sessions over the holiday when looking for something interesting to watch

On 21/12/2018 at 18:11, MpM said:

I liked the use of music from some of the classic 70's conspiracy movies and with a dash of John Carpenter's 'The Thing' thrown in.

I knew it! Watched a couple of episodes earlier and recognised 'The Thing' music and also music from 'Halloween 3'. The music fits perfectly with the show and made me enjoy it even more.

Just seen episode one and from the first five minutes alone I knew the crew from Mr. Robot had some involvement. Turns out it's by the same director and by the time the credits rolled I was filled with excitement. I have no idea what it's about or where it's going but I already love it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that was a perfect ending to an already amazing series. Didn't think Esmail could ever live up to the work he did on Mr. Robot but based on pure consistency and intent he might've done just that with Homecoming. Julia Roberts and Bobby Cannavale were both absolutely fantastic and I'd like to think this exists in the same universe as Mr.Robot (and that it takes place before the events of that) as Cannavale plays a near identical (and brilliant) role in that show as well.

It's a shame that Homecoming appears to be so overlooked as it's easily one of the best things I've seen in recent memory. 

90/100 (Classic) on Criticker. :)