Diablo: Immortal - MMOARPG for Mobile. Developed by NetEase

Radish

2 hours ago, choddo said:

Using wsad to move and left-click to attack keeps attacks locked on and you can strafe around. Works much better than right click to move.

Totally. 

Played around 5 hours of this today and its got its hooks in. 

Very very satisfying as always. Playing on PC. It's Diablo. 

35 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Yuck. Tried it on PC but it feels like it's running on Bluestacks or something. Janky and loads of input lag. I'll stick to mobile for this I think.

That’s weird. Played on PC and didn’t notice. You mean controller input lag? I have heard that’s an issue but it seems fine on M&K. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/it-costs-88000-to-fully-upgrade-your-character-in-diablo-immortal

Players in Diablo Immortal have three progression pillars: XP level, equipment level, and Legendary Gems. The first two are pretty standard fare in any RPG-type game, but collating Legendary Gems can be a costly and convoluted process as the way you get them is randomised and often exceedingly rare... and right now, it seems as though F2P players cannot earn them at all.

Furthermore, as Legendary Gems aren't even a guaranteed drop for those prepared to pay for boosts and cannot be bought outright, players have to battle the odds of unlocking them through Legendary Chests, which are essentially loot boxes.

4 hours ago, Flub said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/it-costs-88000-to-fully-upgrade-your-character-in-diablo-immortal

Players in Diablo Immortal have three progression pillars: XP level, equipment level, and Legendary Gems. The first two are pretty standard fare in any RPG-type game, but collating Legendary Gems can be a costly and convoluted process as the way you get them is randomised and often exceedingly rare... and right now, it seems as though F2P players cannot earn them at all.

Furthermore, as Legendary Gems aren't even a guaranteed drop for those prepared to pay for boosts and cannot be bought outright, players have to battle the odds of unlocking them through Legendary Chests, which are essentially loot boxes.

Yes it seems Legendary gems are the main money maker. However. I have not spent money on them and I have a dozen low level ones. Also, I am pretty certain you can get through the whole game without buying any. If you want to be super powerful in the end game stuff it might be needed but for many to play through and enjoy it I don't reckon spending cash on getting them will be needed. 

If you like Diablo then its really good fun and chucking £4.50 on a battlepass will get you a few extra bits as you go up the levels with which to craft. The dailies give you a bit too. You also get extra drop chances when in parties and all sorts. Basically it does everything it can to encourage you to play. 

I can see why there is a point to be made about getting people hooked in and idiots wanting to spunk their life savings on stuff but I don't see it as much different than any other service game in that respect. 

I've put about 15 hours in and am enjoying it enough to get the basic battle pass, but even that didn't feel necessary for single player progress.

These games thrive on idiots spending small fortunes to top leaderboards though and I guess that's fine by me. Just economic Darwinism.

If I get to a cashwall after investing this much time in sp though, I'll be mighty pissed off.

9 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I can see why there is a point to be made about getting people hooked in and idiots wanting to spunk their life savings on stuff but I don't see it as much different than any other service game in that respect. 

It's a very high profile game and needs calling out no? Imagine how much worse this stuff would be if people just ignored it.

10 hours ago, Yiggy said:

9 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I've put about 15 hours in and am enjoying it enough to get the basic battle pass, but even that didn't feel necessary for single player progress.

These games thrive on idiots spending small fortunes to top leaderboards though and I guess that's fine by me. Just economic Darwinism.

If I get to a cashwall after investing this much time in sp though, I'll be mighty pissed off.

These type of games use every kind of psychological manipulation trick in the book to get people spending. To write them off as idiots that cant control themselves shows a real lack of compassion. Would you think the same of a gambling addict?

55 minutes ago, Sloth said:

These type of games use every kind of psychological manipulation trick in the book to get people spending. To write them off as idiots that cant control themselves shows a real lack of compassion. Would you think the same of a gambling addict?

That's a very fair point. Just lazy writing on my part though - no malice or offense intended.

Yeah that’s fair comment. 

They exploit people for sure. 

I guess if there’s a good game underneath and the balance between play and pay is there then it’s harder to unpick. 

I’m hoping there will always be the separation between traditional pay once experiences and free to play service games as Blizzard have backed up by there still being a Diablo 4 on the horizon.

I mean, who would even admit to spending money in a game like this anyway? It is almost like an embarrasing guilt akin to gambling debt, which says a lot about the game really. Fair enough if you are strong willed enough to play without paying (I hazard a guess, a lot of people are not), but the game is designed around paying and I bet it gets a whole lot worse over time.

New to the thread so haven’t done a lot of reading back, how does this compare to Diablo 3 on Switch? Is it massively scaled back or is it pretty hefty in terms of content?

secondly, with it being available on PC has anyone had it running on Steam Deck yet?

9 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

New to the thread so haven’t done a lot of reading back

Don't go back further than 2 pages. I did, figuring I would find my post criticizing NetEase F2P mechanics (must have been in the EVE Echoes thread) and, wow. Although I did happen upon a couple of posts stating Blizzard were somehow actively involved in the development, so maybe the EVE comparison is misplaced.

He's very shouty. I watched a video featuring a couple of Irish chaps saying the same stuff in a much calmer manner.  They basically said the story can be pretty much played through but the paywall comes with end game stuff - the real meat of Diablo (they mentioned from level 30 or 50 or something). It wants to appear generous and create goodwill, make you think that it's not p2w and make you happy to spend a bit on it with the cheaper booster packs, just to get you into the habit of spending something. Then the daily stuff hits to get you into the habit of logging in each day. I've never really thought about it before but it all felt so incredibly seedy and insidious and I can totally see how it would get its hooks in, especially with a younger audience.

On 07/06/2022 at 17:09, Nathan Wind said:

He's very shouty. I watched a video featuring a couple of Irish chaps saying the same stuff in a much calmer manner.  They basically said the story can be pretty much played through but the paywall comes with end game stuff - the real meat of Diablo (they mentioned from level 30 or 50 or something). It wants to appear generous and create goodwill, make you think that it's not p2w and make you happy to spend a bit on it with the cheaper booster packs, just to get you into the habit of spending something. Then the daily stuff hits to get you into the habit of logging in each day. I've never really thought about it before but it all felt so incredibly seedy and insidious and I can totally see how it would get its hooks in, especially with a younger audience.

Yeah, it is just his gimmick really. I have to turn the sound down to like 10/100. But yeah, games like that are cleverly engineered in such a way to sucker in the weak willed and fans of the Diablo games.

Just to stress. I’m not saying it’s ok but I’ve reached level 45, about 20 hours into the story and I’ve not spent a penny above the battle pass yet. I’ve not felt that I’ve hit any walls yet. It does pretty much what all f2p games do.

It definitely feels like a fruit machine at times but that’s where the satisfaction comes from in the gameplay loop. 

Im still really enjoying it. 

On 07/06/2022 at 16:14, Sumire said:

Kind of sums it up if you are playing this game and defending it.

I've spent fuck all and had a blast. Literally £0.

The only thing I don't like about the game is too much repetitive grinding and it's too easy. It's very difficult to get killed. I'm at level 49. I don't have any legendary gems above tier 1 yet but it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I bought the £4.99 battle pass after a few hours cos I felt the game deserved it. I'm weird like that. Truth is I've felt no urge to spend anything else and am now 20 odd hours in, level 44 and it's all been great. Just a highly polished handheld diablo. I'm not forgiving the predatory nature of the store set up mind, just imo there's a hell of a game here without spending a dime. 

Same here, level 48, haven't spent a penny.

I have hit the grinding stage though and feeling a bit meh about that, I need to be level 51 I think it says to open up the next stages and not sure I can be arsed to keep doing the bounty board stuff our Rifts to get my levels up.

Joined the Shadows the other day and there is some grinding in that as well.

The while game is way overcomplicated though, so many little systems and things that I have no clue on what they do, not much interest in learning either to be honest.

Also seems to push joining up with others online, I've never been a big online gamer and can't see this changing.

I’m with both of the above posters. I like the game and have spent very little. 

However. I suspect 2 things. Firstly the ease choddo describes is deliberate to hook you in. Then, when people do the harder difficulty levels they’ll want to spend money to make it easier and keep the flow going. 

Ditto with the grinding. For Those players who aren’t gonna go to the harder difficulty levels you could have an even quicker time of it by spending money to make that grind even easier. The equivalent of still slicing through butter but spending money to heat the knife. Also, it pads it out to give you more dopamine as you get more loot quicker.  

How much of a cunt the model is all comes down to how susceptible you are to it. Just like all gambling I guess. 

6 minutes ago, memories said:

Same here, level 48, haven't spent a penny.

I have hit the grinding stage though and feeling a bit meh about that, I need to be level 51 I think it says to open up the next stages and not sure I can be arsed to keep doing the bounty board stuff our Rifts to get my levels up.

Joined the Shadows the other day and there is some grinding in that as well.

The while game is way overcomplicated though, so many little systems and things that I have no clue on what they do, not much interest in learning either to be honest.

Also seems to push joining up with others online, I've never been a big online gamer and can't see this changing.

The bounty stuff is the perfect example of keeping the flow going whilst Insisting that you grind. You don’t even need to move the character to get to the locations. As long as you’ve completed the dungeon in the area it does all the portals and auto drives you to the exact locations you are meant to be in. I simultaneously love it and hate it. It makes it effortless but it’s still time consuming and highlights that it really is totally fucking pointless (grinding). 

Yeah I’m getting to the point where I realise I’ve not done my daily bounties, but then decide I can’t be arsed either and just watch TV.

My friend made a clan and I made a discord server and we got well over the maximum 100 applications in a day. Not sure how or why, but neither of us have any idea how to actually organise or progress anything so I feel bad for any serious players who are hoping Phoenix Rising becomes the best clan on Throne Of Destruction. :unsure:

I think what I've learned from just reading up on this is that there are two types of ARPG players. The first type plays through the main story and just enjoys the combat & the dungeons. When they get to the end they stop playing and move on to another game. The second type of player carries on and starts getting invested in things like builds/gear sets/legendary gems/leaderboards/high level rift runs etc etc. The second type of player is the type that adds to the longevity of a game, they're the people keeping Diablo 3 alive and they're the life and blood of a game like Path of Exile.

If you're the first type of player, you're not going to have a massive issue with Immortal. You'll probably enjoy it and not really see the real money transaction stuff as an issue. If you're the second type of player you'll realise you're playing what is probably the greediest arpg out there and probably top 10 greediest games that have been made.