Star Wars: Andor

JohnC

First two episode were slow but looked amazing (even if it’s weird that everyone on Ferrix seemed to be matching their outfits). By the end of the 3rd episode I was hooked. Not sure if fat bastard and Gorman from Aliens will remain as the bad guys, but I kind of like how it showed them being incompetent and not in a comical way. Not sure if I prefer it to the Mandalorian yet, it’s much better than Obi wan and most of Bobba Fett though.

10 hours ago, K said:

It’s also kind of brilliant that they decided the only place in the world that could realistically capture the cosmically dismal vibe that they were going for was Cleveleys. 

I don't believe we've had the Cleveleys bit yet, or the Derbyshire, Wiltshire or Scotland locations.

The first 3 episodes mainly featured locations in Essex, including Coryton refinery.

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

I don't believe we've had the Cleveleys bit yet, or the Derbyshire, Wiltshire or Scotland locations.

The first 3 episodes mainly featured locations in Essex, including Coryton refinery.

I just assumed it was Cleveleys based on the general level of desolation.

1 minute ago, K said:

I just assumed it was Cleveleys based on the general level of desolation.

Kind of telling they picked the UK as the location to film a series about life on a bleak backwater industrial shithole, under an oppressive government regime!!!!

That was class. A slow miserable space Ken Loach/British crime drama giving off a great #acab vibe that I’m sure the right wing fanboy weirdos are totally gonna lose their S over. Has to be about Star Wars though and that’s why it’s lovely, liked his little story about dressing up as an Imperial Officer - gonna come in handy in the future when there’s some Death Star plans to lift.

They definitely needed the first three episodes.  The closing scenes in the third episode overlaying Andor's past and present were really well done.

I thought it was genuinely exiting but I also kind of hope they use this break as a platform to jump from, rather than something to go back to (hinting subtly with no spoilers).

It's good, and I wasn't even that into Rogue One.

Loving this so far, great to have characters acting logically within the frame of their motivations. 

Third episode was great:

Spoiler

The operation by the security guys to lift Cassian was really well done. During the Troubles, when the British army made an incursion into a Republican area in Belfast, the residents would all bang their dustbin lids in warning. Great to see details like this in the show. Loved the bell guy also. 

Incidentally, on the opening sequence:

Spoiler

I can't tell if it was intentionally or unintentionally amusing that in the seedy grim dark red light district there are "oo-ba" sounds in the background that are the same as the ones the droid nanny makes when Luke and Leia are born.

It could actually be trying to be quite creepily clever I guess: if you assume that a lot of people are born with those kinds of droid nannies making that comforting noise around them, then it might be the sort of Pavlovian thing that could be fetishistically exploited as well.

But then again maybe it was just inappropriately placed memberberries.

So, I watched episode 2 yesterday and couldn’t believe how poor it was. The lead is a charisma vacuum with no screen presence at all. The rest of the cast are almost as bad and the whole production looks cheap. 

So, I thought I’d try something else in the SW universe. This sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole. I started with the Obi Wan series which I binged in one go. I loved it!  This then led to me watching the prequels today. I hated the first two but thought the third was ok. The CGI was awful in places. I doubt I will watch them again but it was interesting to see what all the fuss was about. Finally I watched Solo which was a welcome return to form after the prequels. I understood that this was poorly received but I thought it was very good. 

I might carry on with Andor but only if it’s on in the background. 

9 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I hated Finn saying "You bastards!" in The Last Jedi. There's been a couple of "bastards" in this and now a "shit". It's only a matter of time before we get an edgy Star Wars F-bomb.

Lucas to re-edit A New Hope - when Luke swings across with Leia they both say "ohhh shhhiiiiittt". But, don't forget "Jabba Wanka" started it all from dear old Bib 

I didn't realise this was even a series until I saw it advertised on TV earlier today - this is now 3 series I'm behind on - Fett, Obi Wan and now this.

I'm finally over Star Wars, I'm done

This has really got the environment design and vibe down. The sets are all sumptuous as fuck.

Bit slow though after two episodes but I'm guessing all three make up a sort of movie length intro, as I've not felt especially engaged so far and it's all a bit dour. However 

Spoiler

Give me more of stuff like that guy just epically smacking an anvil with hammers to signal the shifts. That was brilliant.

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

Also

Hide contents

Seeing the design of Andor's blaster made me go "oh come on" - it was so obviously inspired by Deckard's gun from Blade Runner. Cheeky!

Apparently it was first seen in Dark Forces.