IGNORED

Your Very Best Gaming Year

catinthehat

What a tough question. 

1993 was epic as that was the year I got my own SNES and played SF2 Turbo daily for 6 months. 

1996 was incredible, perhaps the best because the PS1 hit a good stride and I could afford more games myself. 

Games like NFS, Alien Trilogy, Doom (95' title yes), SF Alpha etc. It ended with Formula 1, WipEout 2097, Destruction Derby 2 and SF Alpha 2. 

1998 of course was tops. Zelda, F-Zero X, MGS and so on, amazing year. 

2000 was when I got my PS2, and after a slow start, 2001 blew the world apart with Winning Eleven 5, Final Fantasy X and GT3, MGS2 and Silent Hill 2.

As for modern times, probably 2011 purely for Skyward Sword and The 3rd Birthday. 

2017 was amazing. Zelda was a huge beautiful succulent steak washed down with Mario Odyssey flavoured alcoholic beverage. 

2018 by comparison has been a day squatting over the toilet with a case of the shits. 

So, 2017. 1997 was great too with Mario 64 and Goldeneye. 

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

This year has been great, but I think, off the top of my head 2007 might be my best year

COD 4: Modern Warfare

Halo 3

The Orange Box (Half Life 2, Portal & Team Fortress 2) :wub:

Guitar Hero III

Rock Band

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS version)

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Not to mention the greatest racing game of all time, PGR 4.

2011 hasn't been mentioned much. Arkham City, Dark Souls, Skyrim and Portal 2 all had a good old scrap for GOTY. Skyward Sword was also released.

I'd have to go with the usual suspects of 1998, 2007 and 2017 probably though. Looking forward to 2027/28 judging by that pattern.

2002 was a good year, especially on Nintendo consoles - Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil Remake & Zero, Eternal Darkness. Iwata also became President that year.

Then there was Vice City, Morrowind, Splinter Cell. 

Metroid Prime was up there with Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time for me, so a great year. I remember getting it on US import along with my Saurian RGB cable, it looked beyond anything I'd ever seen and at 60fps too, incredible game.

Xbox came out in the UK also that year in the days before unified releases, so for many of us that was when we first played Halo too.

Amimal Crossing came out on Game Cube (US) that year too and Ico (UK) :)

4 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah, I could't put them down unfortunatly cause I didn't have a Wii or PS3 at the time and didn't play Unchartered 1 till last year on the remastered version. But you could easily add those and probably Crackdown and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass too that people rank highly

Is that the accounting RPG? 

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I've loved 2018 - Sea of Thieves, RDR 2, FH 4 have all been tremendous.

But I'd have to say 2007.  Pretty sure all the following came out that year:

CoD: Modern Warfare

Bioshock

Halo 3

Uncharted

Mass Effect

Oblivion

Edit - and Mario Galaxy of course!

Boothjan gets it. 

Oblivion was 2006 though. 

2015 in particular was fucking insane

Arkham Knight

MGS V

Witcher 3

Bloodborne

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Fallout 4

Life is Strange

Destiny: The Taken King

Tales from the Borderlands

Rocket League

Mad Max

Elite Dangerous

That is just out-fucking-rageous! 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

2015 in particular was fucking insane

Arkham Knight

MGS V

Witcher 3

Bloodborne

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Fallout 4

Life is Strange

Destiny: The Taken King

Tales from the Borderlands

Rocket League

Mad Max

Elite Dangerous

That is just out-fucking-rageous! 

Pretty mediocre imo. MGS V was great. The rest? Meh. 

A year redeemed by Yakuza 5’s belated release in December.

Can’t believe no-one’s mentioned 2004 yet. Three of the most biggest games ever in quick succession. 

I remember literally wishing my life away so I could get into the world of San Andreas. Fuck the real world. I bought a PS2 just for it, and even went to the midnight launch. It’s still probably my favourite game ever. 

Then there’s the one game that nearly everyone who had Xbox Live descended on. The game that seemed to unite the entirety of the nascent rllmukforum in sweaty anticipation and totally dominated two early Bath meets. The only game a bunch of us played for weeks on end. Forget the disappointing single player, Halo 2 was a once-in-a-lifetime gaming event. 

Finally, there was the envelope-pushing Half-Life 2. Now, I didn’t actually really like it when I finally got it, and it lost out to the two above games. But the build up was so memorable. The 1-year delay at the 11th hour. The anticipation of previously unseen graphical fidelity and physics. A landmark game even if it took me a decade to finally finish it. 

Plus there was Ninja Gaiden, Burnout 3 and Metroid Prime. 

It's 2007 (to echo lots of previous posts), or it's 1982.

Here are highlights of 1982 for you (arcade only):

Bagman (a personal fave, but probably not considered a classic)

Burger Time (an absolute belter)

Dig Dug 

Donkey Kong Jr (I prefer it to the original, I reckon it's a good'un).

Gravitar

Joust

Millipede

Moon Patrol

Mr Do! - stone cold classic, and in my top 3 arcade games ever

Pengo - would be in my top 5 arcade games ever - I adore it.

Pole Position

Pooyan - also in my top 5 arcade games ever.

Popeye

Qbert

Robotron - the single greatest arcade game ever made. Not my favourite, but the best.

Sinistar

Time Pilot (just outside my top 5 arcade games ever).

Tron

Xevious

Zaxxon

Add in all the computer games released and this is an absolute corker.

*Sticks finger in air*

No wait, hear me out! Look at this cross-platform, genre-defining list:

Resident Evil 2

Xenogears

Starcraft 

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Point Blank

Unreal

X-men vs Street Fighter

Banjo Kazooie

F Zero X

Pokemon (on import from America - I played it this year, so sue me)

Body Harvest

Metal Gear Solid

Turok 2 (Edge review be damned, it WAS good)

Grim Fandango

Half Life

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Mario Party

Sonic Adventure 

A year which spanned the Saturn, PlayStation, N64 and Dreamcast. Fucking magic. 

4 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Pretty mediocre imo. MGS V was great. The rest? Meh. 

A year redeemed by Yakuza 5’s belated release in December.

Bloodborne is the greatest game ever made. That year had more great games as well, not listed by Thor, such as Splatoon, Ori and the Blind Forest and Rainbow Six Siege.

3 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Bloodborne is the greatest game ever made. That year had more great games as well, not listed by Thor, such as Splatoon, Ori and the Blind Forest and Rainbow Six Siege.

I'm pretty sure it's a crime to choose to list those games but leave out Downwell. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

*Sticks finger in air*

No wait, hear me out! Look at this cross-platform, genre-defining list:

Resident Evil 2

Xenogears

Starcraft 

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Point Blank

Unreal

X-men vs Street Fighter

Banjo Kazooie

F Zero X

Pokemon (on import from America - I played it this year, so sue me)

Body Harvest

Metal Gear Solid

Turok 2 (Edge review be damned, it WAS good)

Grim Fandango

Half Life

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Mario Party

Sonic Adventure 

A year which spanned the Saturn, PlayStation, N64 and Dreamcast. Fucking magic. 

An amazing list. Although whilst we had fun at the time with Sonic, it's a disaster of a videogame in all honesty. Sega were a complete mess in 98 and rushed the systems to the market 

• Ico
  • Burnout 2
  • Gitaroo Man
  • Deus Ex (on PS2)
  • Britney’s Dance Beat (shut up it was brilliant)
  • Jedi Starfighter (see above)
  • Animal Crossing
  • Tony Hawks 4
  • Timesplitters 2
  • Space Channel 5 pt 2
  • Yoshi’s island on the GBA

And some Metroid and Mario games that everyone said were good, but I was too busy playing Gitaroo Man to bother with. I stand by my decision. 

Honourable mention for 2003, when Outrun 2 came out. 

16 hours ago, Stanley said:

'98 when Ocarina of Time came out, and last year, 2017, with the Switch. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a console more it's changed things forever for me.

I'd have to say this too although I've played Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassins Creed Origins this year so 2018 is pushing it. The Switch is like nothing I've owned before - it's the best handheld console I've ever owned and the technology held within that relatively slim little box is staggering. With Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, that's close to 2,000 hours of play time I've enjoyed and I've enjoyed it sat on my arse in my living room, playing local multiplayer with my kids, playing Breath of The Wild on the bus and at work on my lunch break. 

I was thinking, when I read the OP that it had to be the year the PS1 was released but to be frank, the Switch wins hands down. I dipped my toe into PC gaming to play Half Life and all the add ons one year and I have fond memories of my Playstation, my Dreamcast and the original Xbox but in the past two years, gaming tech and game creators have raised the bar. Kids these days have no idea how lucky they are.