IGNORED

British Restaurant Style Curry

Sardan

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my wife the latest The Curry Guy book for Christmas and we've just knocked up a batch of base sauce using more or less the recipe from there, in our first proper attempt at BIR style curry. (TCG describes it as a 'bland sauce' at one point but I wouldn't categorise it as such myself - it's a gently spiced, generally rather lovely vegetable soup, if you ask me.)

One portion of it is heading into a chicken vindaloo tomorrow, again from the book, while the rest is going into the freezer of course.

It was a lot less hassle than I'd imagined and I'm guessing that there's a reasonable labour saving overall, versus cooking from scratch each time, once you've used the entire batch.

I make a batch of ginger and garlic paste and freeze these in portion bags. You could do the onion and tomato puree but these take hardly any time. Once you have a spice mix you could also make a big batch of THIS. I dont as I change it a little each time. 

I have keep my chillies in the freezer too and chop these frozen. 

We used the last base mix the other nights night so big cook for me over the next day or 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/12/2020 at 20:54, hmm said:

Bought my wife the latest The Curry Guy book for Christmas and we've just knocked up a batch of base sauce using more or less the recipe from there, in our first proper attempt at BIR style curry. (TCG describes it as a 'bland sauce' at one point but I wouldn't categorise it as such myself - it's a gently spiced, generally rather lovely vegetable soup, if you ask me.)

One portion of it is heading into a chicken vindaloo tomorrow, again from the book, while the rest is going into the freezer of course.

It was a lot less hassle than I'd imagined and I'm guessing that there's a reasonable labour saving overall, versus cooking from scratch each time, once you've used the entire batch.

When I made my first big batch of base gravy, I was a bit underwhelmed. I'd expected something that was delicious on its own, which this wasn't.

It was bland. But then, what it does to the BIR recipes? It's like absolute alchemy. I used to think heapings of ghee were the difference with restaurant dishes, but it's absolutely the base gravy,

• 2 weeks later...

Tried Al's basic chicken curry as a gateway curry for my kids. They basically hoovered it up. The wife and I liked it too. It's a little sweeter than your average BIR curry (it has a tablespoon of ketchup in it!) but it was cracking with rice and chips.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally made a ton more base gravy, and made Al's garlic chilli chicken this week to the usual great success.

Any of the new ones on Al's Kitchen in the last 6 months particularly great? Bearing in mind I found the much-vaunted chicken chasni to be a bit meh.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m afraid I haven’t had chance to make it yet. And we have friends over at the weekend so I doubt I will this weekend either. Desperate to try it as we have a big batch of base gravy in the freezer. 

73CB77EB-75F6-44A4-9518-23EF573E0F96.thumb.jpeg.8ed763ef38f4a59121ee1f1adf8e07d3.jpeg

I added some fresh chillies as I like them more than (three tablespoons!) of chilli powder. 

I had a little taste. It’s pretty spicy. 

12 hours ago, OnionNon said:

Are you cooking direct on a chimney starter? I’d never thought of that. 

yeah, wok on a chimney starter. Nice and hot to replicate the burners they use in restaurants and cooking outside prevents the house smelling of turmeric and spices for three days!

F4F8DBA2-8EAA-4CD9-8F05-888593594940.thumb.jpeg.fd4ef67916b90918a4b2171aec142ab5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...