rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RubberJohnny

Detective Pikachu movie

3 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I tried watching it but her accent and phrasing wound me up massively. Honestly I couldn't tell if it was actually a review, or just a series of observations with zero criticism.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Sure, each to their own. It’s a shame to judge a persons content/views by their accent though. :( I like her a lot and feel she has a lot of perceptive opinions. She really liked it btw.

• Upvote 1

Hamley’s in London are having a Detective Pikachu event next weekend. If Lucas didn’t have hockey Edith would be taken to that! 

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

Sure, each to their own. It’s a shame to judge a persons content/views by their accent though. :( I like her a lot and feel she has a lot of perceptive opinions. She really liked it btw.

Seems to be reviewing quite well overall too!

3 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I tried watching it but her accent and phrasing wound me up massively. Honestly I couldn't tell if it was actually a review, or just a series of observations with zero criticism.

Same here.  Awful delivery.

• Upvote 2

It's been a while since I've been genuinely excited about going to see a film, I'm not expecting it to be a masterpiece but i think it'll be a feelgood movie and I'll leave the cinema smiling. I've been opening some of the Detective Pikachu Pokemon cards recently and I'm really impressed by the look of the Pokemon, Mewtwo looks incredible. There is only one Pokemon which looks different to what i was expecting, not bad, just different. I won't post it's name in case the Pokemon isn't in the trailer released. There is a currently a Snubbull Promo card you can receive from the cinemas, it's fetching nearly £50 on ebay at the moment, ridiculous. 

Anyway if you do want to see what the cards look like and listen to a man almost thirty having a passion for printed card, the videos are below.  

I've opened three of the Detective Pikachu boxes in the last week: 

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

Seems to be reviewing quite well overall too!

Does it? I had a look on IMDb and it’s got a pretty terrible metacritic score of 49. Bit of a shame if it’s as bad as the critics are making out, I was quite looking forward to it.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Does it? I had a look on IMDb and it’s got a pretty terrible metacritic score of 49. Bit of a shame if it’s as bad as the critics are making out, I was quite looking forward to it.

Sitting at 70% on Rotten Tomatoes 

We're not expecting Oscar bait scores, so that seems pretty damned good to me. 

14 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Sitting at 70% on Rotten Tomatoes 

We're not expecting Oscar bait scores, so that seems pretty damned good to me. 

That’s better.

I just had a quick look through the reviews on there and it seems totally marmite. There’s no middle ground!

Hopefully I’ll fall on the side of those who like it, but I’m not as optimistic as I was.

3 hours ago, Xevious said:

Try before you buy, it seems ... Ryan Reynolds just tweeted this link out.

Great stuff. Really improves on repeat viewings. 

• Upvote 6

Probably a parody of the original but it was the first thing I thought of as soon as I saw the background though! 

• Upvote 4

Lovely comfortable fun but hardly revolutionary. Kids will adore it.

Most of the best bits are in trailers, and the 3rd acts a bit of a mess.

Still managed to surprise me though and it’s comfortably the best video game movie. 

Just took all the kids to see this, really enjoyed it. And, I somehow love Pikachu even more. Got some limited edition TCG packs for going on the opening night, too.

I liked that while the plot was properly telegraphed for younger viewers, it was an actual plot, rather than the oft simplistic stuff in a kids film.

Can't wait for some repeat viewings when it's out on disc.

• Upvote 1

Just watched this with a group of 30-somethings. While we all enjoyed it, it's definitely a kids film first and foremost. Pikachu was fantastic, though. Ryan Reynolds nailed it. 

Surprised with the ending, though. 

Spoiler

Separating the dad from Pikachu pretty much rules out a sequel. And given the money this film will make, you would think they'd be all over making more of them. 

• Upvote 1

What I saw of this was great, unfortunately a combination of getting home from work at half 11 last night & having to get up at 4 am to take my daughter to the pick up for her school French trip meant I was knackered and fell asleep :facepalm:

However, it was funny, it had heart and Reynolds delivery was spot on.  Looking forward to catching up with the bits I missed on Blu-ray.

Watched it last night. Thought it was good. Found it fizzled out after an hour. Wanted more pokemon.

Me and my mate predicted all the plot beats from beginning to the end.

Still a decent watch but no where as good as who framed Roger rabbit.

I read the full spoiler after mistakenly clicking on the spoiler above.

It actually makes the trailers even more awesome.

Yeah that was exactly what it should be and it was great.

Mr Mime especially is so beautifully done.

• Upvote 1

Loved it. Went with 12 Pokemon Go playing adults who all loved it.

The first half or so is probably better than the second. When it’s more about just being in the world than it is the story.

Pikachu steals the show somewhat but great cameos from Psyduck and Mr Mime in particular.

I like how it mixes its own thing with other Pokemon media references...

Spoiler

The start with references to being pokemon trainers and even Pokeballs themselves (indicating that conceptually this is the same world as the games and anime).

Pickachu singing the anime theme tune.

Can easily see this being a go to relax movies for me once out on disk.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was great and my son loved it. The Pokémon were brilliantly realised and the plot, although mostly predictable, was still engaging enough to hold my attention. Also found the ending really touching.

So, do we all accept that...

Spoiler

This takes place in the same universe as Home Alone?

• Upvote 2

I saw it yesterday. Had pretty high hopes but honestly it was one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I wanted to leave after about 20 mins. I’m really not understanding all the praise everyone’s giving it. The plot and script were garbage and the “charming” Pokemon filled world they built was incredibly creepy and irritating. Such a let down.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2