rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RubberJohnny

Detective Pikachu movie

Ending ruined it for me...

Spoiler

Why not just let Harry stay in Pikachu's body, it felt like they took away Tim's Pokemon at the end, I would rather they stayed partners and took over the Dad's business. Hell I am a dad and if that happened to me I'd rather stay a Pokemon and have more adventures than turn back into a boring human. Plus everything else about the ending revolved around good characters turning out to be bad and vice versa, I enjoyed it but stupid bloody film.

• Upvote 4

well presumably 

Spoiler

Pikachu's real consciousness was trapped out in the ether somewhere, and Tim's Dad would probably want to go back to being able to talk to people and bang human women again.

The kid was way too old I thought. You're 21 with a job and your granny is going to meet you at the station? whaattt?

I could listen to Ken Watanabe talk all day. Every day.

For what it's worth my nine year old daughter and myself enjoyed it. It was fun and I felt it knew Pokemon and treated the characters with care/respect. A lot more entertaining than some of the other films I end up watching with her!!

Saw this tonight and enjoyed it. First half moreso than the last. Liked the world and Pokemon but story wasn't great. 

On 12/05/2019 at 22:24, bradigor said:

So, do we all accept that...

Hide contents

This takes place in the same universe as Home Alone?

huh, I never knew that wasn't a real movie :lol: 

This was surprisingly enjoyable. Good-hearted, made with love and reverence for the source material, packed full of incidental details, and is much more of a standard 'in-canon' story than it is initially made out to be - once you're over the utter oddness of this film existing at all (and the trailers have taken the edge/surprise off it).

It didn't go the way I thought it was going to, had a fairly complex plot for a kids' film, and had some pretty out there ideas in amongst all the cute fluffiness. Yeah, I liked it. Hopefully it's not damning it with faint praise to call it the best videogame-to-movie adaptation.

• Upvote 4

It's a pretty low bar but I would never imagine the detective pikachu movie would be the best game to movie conversion. You would have thought that maybe resident evil, doom, silent hill, alone in the dark, numerous others that were never even made into movies would be a better fit. 

If anything it affirms that they are different mediums and you can't transplant one into the other as easily as is presumed. Although if anything, I imagine the success will lead to further idiotic adaptations. 

[Insert sonic trailer here]

I really liked this, eager enough to go to the cinema to watch it as well. I was fascinated by how they would integrate the Pokemon into the world and got a kick out of every instance of it. I always liked the cartoon and wished for Nintendo to do a 3d open world Pokemon that would replicate it. In a way this fills a void. 

/filmcast were really muted on it, as were little white lies. Which seems so harsh. It's not so brilliant as the first trailer, it's not that funny throughout and i wish there was more world building, but it nails every Pokemon. Their dark edged bouncy rounded look really works. 

It felt fresh with it, after years of superhero films that use each character to create spectacle and become boring with it when Ditto was transforming into different Pokemon at one point it was genuinely thrilling and seamless. Given that the director was responsible for lots of terrible films that are visually rubbish, boring and terribly written it's impressive. 

been mentioned? One big thing

Spoiler

so...kid doesn't recognise his father's voice in Pikachu? I'm unclear on that and Mewtwo's motivations. 

I'd love a sequel. 

• Upvote 1

After all the talk of this being a 'Deadpool for kids' (presumably only because of the Ryan Reynolds connection), this turned out to be a very average film. It was obviously pitched at a very young age group but, unlike the best family films, held little appeal for older kids and parents. The 'jokes' fell flat, there was barely a titter heard from the audience, and the plot, such as it was, went to utter shit in the second half.

• Upvote 1

I liked it. Not that deep, plot worthy of a japense video game and I wondered if Reynolds ad libbed most of the wisecracks but likeable. 7/10.

It's a proper weird one this, there's loads of references to stuff from the anime that you imagine are pitched as fanservice, but it's built around this core that's basically nothing like the games, and it's also trying to appeal to an audience not familiar with Pokemon and has to explain capturing, evolutions, moves, etc with some really clunky exposition throughout. The special FX is pretty immense, but it's clearly where all the budgets gone, with 50p on location shooting, and actors... and the script.

It's not very good, I don't think it ends up above the general videogame adaptation strata.

• Upvote 1

It’s not Deadpool for kids, it’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit for millennials (albeit decent rather than a masterpiece).

• Upvote 3

This is a weird film. There's the kernel of a great movie in there, but it ends up falling short because tonally it doesn't knows what it wants to be.

I was a little disappointed in the depiction of Pokemon society, the lack of world-building and limited range of Pokemon on display. The opening scene fell flat, and there were brief exposition dumps to explain the concept. As a result the film failed to establish Pokemon as a live-action Hollywood franchise. Though I loved the audio and visual nods to the original games.

The detective element was really dumbed down, but I enjoyed a couple of twists near the ending, bar the final one which was just jarring.

It was occasionally very funny, but most of the humour skewed too young to land at my screening - where most of the audience were 20/30's.

I agree with CarloOos - it was almost the millenial Who Framed Roger Rabbit? but too safe and bland to fulfill it's potential as a mystery thriller in it's own right. Robbie Collins said it was like Super Mario Bros The Movie, but good... I think it's just like Super Mario Bros The Movie. And I enjoy that, but it's not a great movie.

I enjoyed this, on balance. It was at its best when it was being a broad film noir with Ryan Reynolds doing the funnies. Visually it was a bit of a mixed bag - Pikachu himself was well rendered and had a real tactility, but the other ‘mons at times looked out of place - the clearly identifiable London monuments hampered what was an otherwise commendably realised world.

It fell apart at the end sadly, complete hokum which tried to do something too big; but while it was trying to tell a small detective story it was good fun. 

• Upvote 3

Went to see it yesterday with my 8-year old, liked it. It was exactly what I expected it to be, a high-quality kids movie for people who are already into Pokemon. Possibly the trailers sold it as something it wasn't, but compared to the anime pokemon movies this is Citizen Kane. And I was impressed by the ending, I wasn't expecting to be fired into existential torment.

Didn't get the bad guys motivation at all, I have to say.

Well, I got why he personally wanted to bodyswap. But why on earth would be want to fuse everybody with their pokemon?

I think the people who seem to hate it were expecting some kind of mature action flick?

Something like Deadpool?

Its a kids movie for 30yr old pokéfreaks!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, probotector said:

I think the people who seem to hate it were expecting some kind of mature action flick?

Something like Deadpool?

Its a kids movie for 30yr old pokéfreaks!

I think we were expecting a level of maturity somewhere between Pokemon and Deadpool - Roger Rabbit has been mentioned several times. It’s great you enjoyed it, but you’re mischaracterising the genuine criticisms people have made.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

It's a Pokemon movie with a cocaine joke and people are complaining that it wasn't edgy/adult enough? What more did you expect? I personally don't think it's genuine criticism, it seems a bit silly to me. I think the film was exactly what it should have been: a kids film that adults can enjoy too.

• Upvote 5

There's like one guy who mentioned that offhand, and now everyone who thought the movie was average "hates it" and thought that apparently.

Man these rllmuk film threads have got to stop with the "attribute views to people who don't like thing so you can dismiss them collectively", TLJ, the GoT thread, it's a fucking pox at the moment.

Saw it today. It was great.

Would have liked it sticking to the game’s plot a bit more (the R-triggered Pokemon attacks, for instance), but that’s all I’d complain about.

Ryan Reynolds singing the Pokémon theme was amazing.

• Upvote 1

saw this today, as soon as they rolled out (literally)

Spoiler

bill nighy

I had the entire plot down pat.

Spoiler

because I've seen The Wolverine.

rich old men ALWAYS want to get in on body-swapping shenannigans. Tale as old as time.

looked amazing though. 

Went to see this with my five year old this afternoon. It was his first cinema trip and I thought this would be a movie both of our generations would enjoy and I hadn't been to the cinema since Blade Runner 2049.

Unfortunately, he didn't like being in the cinema from the start and kept asking to go home. I tried to weather it out to see if he would settle in once Pikachu arrived (and I didn't want to waste the money we'd spent, to be honest) but the chase scene right after got him too scared and we had to leave.

What I did get to see I liked, though. Just spotting all the Pokémon was entertaining enough. Hopefully it's still on next weekend so I can see the rest on my own, if I get the chance.

• Empathy 2

Yeah i was looking forward to this but it's a very mediocre movie. I actually preffered the second half to the first. Parts where enjoyable, i liked seeing all the different pokemon but I dunno, i know it's a kids movie but in 2019 i kinda expected it to have a better story really. A lot of the pixar animated stuff is fun enough for an adult too and this just didn't cut it.

I guess i'd like a sequel, but honestly with how it ended i'm not sure how?