Marvel's Shang-Chi

JohnC

Spoiler

I'm a sucker for these Marvel movies, but thought this was really bad.

The action is pretty, but that's it. It felt like a huge misstep for the MCU story and performance wise and they completely ruined one returning character who had some potential. 

No idea where they got the 8.1 IMDb etc. scores, but that's just me.

2 minutes ago, Tet said:
  Hide contents

The action is pretty, but that's it. It felt like a huge misstep for the MCU story and performance wise and they completely ruined one returning character who had some potential. 

Oh, I've an idea....

10 minutes ago, Tet said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Could you please spoil for me which character they ruin and in what way? Abomination?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Could you please spoil for me which character they ruin and in what way? Abomination?

Spoiler

I forgot about Abomination! You basically saw all of his part in the trailer. 

The ruined one is Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. They could've had a 'is he or isn't he?' story, but no- he's just an idiot with inexplicable cryptozoological mind reading powers.

3 hours ago, Tet said:
  Hide contents

I forgot about Abomination! You basically saw all of his part in the trailer. 

The ruined one is Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. They could've had a 'is he or isn't he?' story, but no- he's just an idiot with inexplicable cryptozoological mind reading powers.

Spoiler

Iron Man 3 and Hail to the King pretty much established he wasn't The Mandarin. I thought this actually did a good job of closing that thread and offered some good comedy too. Inwas very happy with Trevor.

As for the film itself. 

It was pretty good fun overall but I wasn't blown away. I enjoyed Simu Liu in the title role, his fighting was really cool and I'm a fan of Awkwafina so I'm all in for her comedy. It wasn't too in your face either which was good.

It's about the most un MCU film they've done I think, even though it's still got superhero elimates to it, especially when it comes to the rings. We've certainly come a along way from a phase being kicked off with people in Iron Man suits scrapping or Captain America fighting Nazis. Marvel really aren't afraid to go all in on the fantastical at all now, they really can just do whatever the fuck they want.

There's some really gorgeous imagery though and most of the fight scenes are really good, especially the hand to hand stuff. Less so the big epic showdown near the end though where I thought the CGI looked a bit ropey. Obviously its very Asain cinema inspired, so I think anyone who's a fan of superheroes and Asian cinema will enjoy it.

Spoiler

Loved the cameos and tying up the loose threads with Trevor and the Ten Rings, he provided some great comedy relief. But did he suddenly get more scouse in this compared to IM3? Wong singing Karaoke is everything too 😍

Overall a fun film, but pretty middle of the road MCU for me and if it wasn't a Marvel property and part of the MCU it would probably struggle at the box office. The Marvel machine definitely helps it pull the numbers in.

Re the mid credits

Spoiler

Any guess on who the beacon is calling? Maybe the Celestials?

Also I'm intrigued as to how Banner is now normal again.

3/5

17/28 in my MCU rankings.

Back from seeing this and it was...meh.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it I guess, but I was bored for long stretches, the cast outside of Shing-Chi and Katy - who were very good - aren't particularly interesting or well-acted and the plot just felt a bit tired. More specific thoughts in the spoiler:

Spoiler

I thought the sister in particular was awful; no presence, no charisma and, in fairness, practically little dialogue to work with. I thought the dad was okay, but I couldn't get on board with thinking he was some ultra-powerful guy/threat with the rings; he just seemed so...ordinary - and I don't think that's intentional for his character arc.

The action didn't really do much for me, either. I find whilst martial arts obviously has a balletic grace, I never find it particularly satisfying in a fight, with no heft to strikes and too much holding hands and sliding around. It reminds me of boxers when one just starts hugging the other and drunkenly dances around the ring. It's missing the point, too, but as a fighting style in film it's always so ineffective; there's plenty of opportunity to disable - not kill - a threat (i.e. breaking an arm) but of course that doesn't work well for the purpose of the story so I defer back to the boxer analogy. That's very much personal preference though, I'm sure a lot of people will love it, and I do appreciate the grace and fluidity on display.

As I say, I thought the plot was tired; oh, dad gets his redemption by dying, how original. The big bad was completely anonymous and the rather tenuous link to the MCU with Tony felt contrived (oh, so acting saved his life? That's lucky!)

Finally, are we really getting another sister-goes-bad end-end credit scene? Really, Marvel, two in a row? Sigh.

This is another that will join my 'never watch again' pile even though I didn't hate it (like GotG2, for example), mainly because it does nothing new - either in terms of a new character nor the rings themselves - and, as I say, I was just mainly bored.

That's 0 for 2 for post-Endgame Marvel productions for me then - Dr Strange is the next one, right? (I know Spider-Man is soon, but that obviously doesn't count.)

35 minutes ago, Gabe said:

That's 0 for 2 for post-Endgame Marvel productions for me then - Dr Strange is the next one, right? (I know Spider-Man is soon, but that obviously doesn't count.)

I think the pandemic made people forgot that the big problem was what Marvel would do post Endgame without Iron Man and Cap A. Danger was always second tier folks.

25 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Why doesn’t Spider-Man count? It’s an MCU movie in all bar the publishing company. 

Well Sony are still looking to build their own universe with Spidey, aren't they? Don't they still want to bring Venom into it?

Even if we do count it, I wasn't a massive fan of the first two Spidey films either - love Tom Holland, but didn't like the all the Iron Man worship.

2 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I think the pandemic made people forgot that the big problem was what Marvel would do post Endgame without Iron Man and Cap A. Danger was always second tier folks.

I expressed my concern after watching Endgame that I wasn't sure the next faces of the MCU would really carry the series in the same way as up to that point, as none of the then-known characters had the charisma or stature of Evans and RDJ. My expectations had therefore always been dialled-down accordingly, but even so I've been really disappointed (and I really grew quite attached to Black Widow's dynamic within the group in Infinity War and Endgame.)

I enjoyed that very much. Way more fun and visually inventive than Black Widow - the fight choreography was great, I liked the characters and thought the actors all had great chemistry, very fun to watch.

My Chinese husband felt the aesthetic was spot on, and to my untrained eye there were times where I felt I was watching a grungy Hong Kong gangster movie, or an ancient Chinese epic, I thought they did a fantastic job there. The fight scene on the bus needs special mention, that was straight out of the Jackie Chan playbook. 

Slightly veers off onto unstable ground with the light relief characters - Marvel movies are great because they mix comedy and action so well, but things get a little too whacky at times here. I very much enjoyed the cameo, all the same. 

Suitably epic ‘fighting god in space’ ending, which is par for the course really. Complaining about this is just churlish at this stage. 

Heartily recommended. 

21 minutes ago, Popo said:

Suitably epic ‘fighting god in space’ ending, which is par for the course really. Complaining about this is just churlish at this stage.

I didn't find it epic in the slightest though and I don't think it's unfair to be disappointed with that. All of the films follow the same pattern but some do it much better than others, so why is any criticism churlish?

I really enjoyed this, after the frankly terrible Black Widow film this was a good return to form. 

I liked the characters, the film looked very good in places and the action scenes were amazing. I only wish that they left in more standard camera shots rather than dancing about everywhere, made it a bit hard to follow. Plus I was watching it in 3D which probably made it worse.

Did a good job of establishing everything it needed to as part of the new phase, 9 out of 10 rings for me.

I went with some friends to see this last night and we all came out having really enjoyed it. The fights were exciting, the humour on point. I thought it led us well from our normal world and martial arts through to an utterly fantastical world and superpowers,

Spoiler

and then came back to ground it all again as Sean and Katy retell their story in a bar to their friends.

I'm also interested to see how they connect Shang-Chi into the wider Marvel Universe, we had some cameos, but I can't see how the bigger Marvel characters would ever call on him for help.

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

I didn't find it epic in the slightest though and I don't think it's unfair to be disappointed with that. All of the films follow the same pattern but some do it much better than others, so why is any criticism churlish?

I was going to say the same thing. Just because something is par the course doesn't meant you can't criticise it if you don't think it was that good. Some films just do the big epic CGI set piece better than others and I thought this one was rather lackluster. I much preferred the other set pieces like the bus and scaffolding.

28 minutes ago, Headache said:

Reveal hidden contents

and then came back to ground it all again as Sean and Katy retell their story in a bar to their friends.

I'm also interested to see how they connect Shang-Chi into the wider Marvel Universe, we had some cameos, but I can't see how the bigger Marvel characters would ever call on him for help.

Did you not watch the mid credits sting?

Come the end of this film, he's more over powered than Cap. I'd also wager that he'd be able to handle Iron Man too.

I think someone with amazing fighting skills and a weapon 

Spoiler

that can literally kill an ancient soul sucker dragon god

would come in handy.

I said this the other day to my wife, but one of the reasons I love the Daredevil TV show so much is how grounded it is. The fight at the end of season 1 between Daredevil and Fisk, which the whole season has been building towards, isn’t some CGI heavy, lasers coming out of the sky, rooftop extravaganza; it’s a dirty brawl in the rain in a dark, dirty alleyway and it’s fucking perfect. 

I enjoyed this up until it got to that final location, and that's where it really lost me. The final battle(s) were very boring, general and derivative. And that whole sequence veers very close to universe-breaking in my opinion.

Also, slightly too long. Could have done with some zippier editing.

I can't believe how much subtitles I had to read.......and I loved it. Some of the translation wasn't accurate to some of the people in the audience.

Great fun, final battle was just copy and paste. Tony Leung is the best. Going to watch Infernal Affairs again.

It was ace.  When was the last time you got to take your kids to see a good - great - kung-fu movie?  Errrrr.

Anyway, it's really really good.  A shave overlong.  Maybe.

My kid's review was: "The best bit was the fighting.  It was almost all fighting.  It could have had even more fighting.  And it would have better."

The cinematic run-up to Christmas is going to be ace:

- Dune 

- Ghostbusters

- Bond 

- Top Gun 

- Top Gun Maverick

- Spider-Man

Amazing scenes.