IGNORED

Epic Games Store

Bojangle

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/announcing-the-epic-games-store

Just announced, and from a developer view point at least, it sounds great. About time Steam had a serious competitor.

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019. 

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if you’re using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epic’s 12%.

EpicGamesStore_InfoGraphic-1920x1080-df6

Have a Direct Relationship With Players
People who buy your games automatically subscribe to your newsfeed so you can reach them with game updates and news about upcoming releases. The newsfeed is front-and-center.  You’ll also be able to reach your players through email, if they choose to share it.

Connect with Creators
YouTube content creators, Twitch streamers, bloggers, and others are at the leading edge of game discovery. The 10,000-strong Epic Games Support-A-Creator program helps you reach creators, so they can help you reach players. If you opt to participate, creators who refer players to buy your game will receive a share of the revenue that you set (tracked by code or affiliate marketing link). To jumpstart the creator economy, Epic will cover the first 5% of creator revenue-sharing for the first 24 months.

Developers Control Their Game Pages
As a developer, you control your game page and your newsfeed. There will be no store-placed ads or cross-marketing of competing games on your page, and no paid ads in search results.

All Engines Are Welcome
The Epic Games store is open to games built with any engine, and the first releases span Unreal, Unity and internal engines.

When You Succeed, We Succeed
We’ve built this store and its economic model so that Epic’s interests are aligned with your interests.  Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently. From Epic’s 12% store fee, we’ll have a profitable business we’ll grow and reinvest in for years to come!

--

More details on upcoming game releases will be revealed at The Game Awards this Thursday, December 6th.

Oh great, another bloody store front app to install /s

I've already got:

Steam

Origin

Ubisoft store

Gog galaxy

Oculus Store

Viveport

Windows Storefront

Blizzards store

Rockstars thing

I guess its just expanding the functionality in the Epic store thing I already have for Fortnite and Unreal "Epic games Launcher"?

Beaten to it! I've hidden my thread.

Choice quote, from Ars:

Still, Sweeney says he isn't expecting to take over Valve's dominant position in the near future. "We’re not looking to crush Steam anytime soon," he said. "We’re just building a store with a fair deal for developers that creates new opportunities for content creators! We’ll be expanding it and investing in it for years to come."

I guess this is a bit apples to oranges, but it's not OK for the Microsoft store to dominate because Microsoft are bad, but OK for Epic to crush Value because {good reasons}. 

How are places like Humble and GoG doing for giving indie devs a bigger cut?

Pretty good interview with Sweeney here.

The PC marketplace already offers a lot of choice to gamers with Steam, GOG, the Microsoft store, etc. What market conditions led you to believe there is an opportunity for another storefront?

The 70/30 percent split was a breakthrough more than a decade ago with the advent of Steam, the Apple App Store, and Google Play. But today, digital software stores have grown into a $25,000,000,000+ business worldwide across all platforms, yet the economies of scale have not benefited developers. In our analysis, stores are marking up their costs 300 percent to 400 percent. We simply aim to give developers a better deal.

17 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I guess this is a bit apples to oranges, but it's not OK for the Microsoft store to dominate because Microsoft are bad, but OK for Epic to crush Value because {good reasons}. 

How are places like Humble and GoG doing for giving indie devs a bigger cut?

You should know full well why Microsoft are different to Valve or Epic or literally anybody else when it comes to making a digital store *hint* something owning the retail park something.

Sweeney isn't a fan of either the GabeN or Nadella's business practices, and he's proven he isn't a fan of Mountain View already and would probably tell the fruit company where to fuck off to if he could too.

GOG charge the standard 30% I believe and HumbleBundle charge 25% usually or less if you go via some obscure method but freeload off Valve's infrastructure if the game is activated on STEAM so really if Valve were really evil, they'd stop being so generous and ban developers from generating keys for free and selling them via third-party websites and not giving them any money for the hosting and other services they provide.

I'm aware of my pro Redmond bias, as I am aware of your negative bias. All throughout this forum, both of us.

My post was a dig at Sweeney's prediction of the Windows Store in, heh, Windows 8, being the death of PC gaming. Or whatever it was. The specifics aren't important, even though someone will go fetch it. Maybe we need a separate thread - what Windows should be, I guess for gamers, while also somehow making money.

I can sympathise with the marketplace app overload - I feel like I've got a bunch of games scattered across various accounts. Humble actually do things pretty well by building it all into the website, under your account - just log in, go to your library and click a direct link to the download. Although maybe people think that an app is more secure?

This news comes just as quite a lot of indie Devs have have seen their steam october revenue take a nose dive due to a change in the "Discovery" algorithm and also on the back of the recent 10%-30% cut change.

It'll be interesting to see how Valve react since they've had market dominance for so long. Will their flat management structure be a help or hinderence?

The guy who did steamspy is also heading up the epic store development.

1 hour ago, martingee said:

It'll be interesting to see how Valve react since they've had market dominance for so long.

Well, Valve has already acted with another shitty move that caters to the AAA behemoths by decreasing its cut on games that reach 10m and 50m in revenue. So yay. 

What a sad, sad company it has become. I can't wait for it to have some serious competition and hopefully take its shitty store and shove it up their portal. :mad:

19 hours ago, TehStu said:

Microsoft were here trying to stifle competition by forcing people into their store using their platform holder position. Epic are joining in with competition. 

18 hours ago, TehStu said:

My post was a dig at Sweeney's prediction of the Windows Store in, heh, Windows 8, being the death of PC gaming. Or whatever it was. 

If people like him hadn’t pointed out that what MS we’re doing was wrong we might all be stuck with some garbage windows 8 store by now.

37 minutes ago, Broker said:

Microsoft were here trying to stifle competition by forcing people into their store using their platform holder position. Epic are joining in with competition. 

That literally cannot happen. 

Oh noes the Windows store is rubbish. If only I could somehow install software on this OS in some other fashion. 

Microsoft are never ever going to lock down the IS like the tinfoil hat brigade keep claiming as it would devestate their enterprise business. 

I thought the whole point of the Windows 8 and 10 stores was that there were Windows features that your game could only use if you sold it as an app through those stores? With people being concerned that it was an attempt to use their platform holder position to close out Steam and others in order to create a monopoly? 

23 hours ago, TehStu said:

I'm aware of my pro Redmond bias, as I am aware of your negative bias. All throughout this forum, both of us.

My post was a dig at Sweeney's prediction of the Windows Store in, heh, Windows 8, being the death of PC gaming. Or whatever it was. The specifics aren't important, even though someone will go fetch it. Maybe we need a separate thread - what Windows should be, I guess for gamers, while also somehow making money.

I don't see how what Tim Sweeney is now proposing to do since he joined the Billionaire tech club is anything like what Microsoft would want to do to the historical state of the PC ecosystem. He doesn't like the fact the established major players all charge an industry standard 30% cut, and now is putting his new fortune to work in an attempt to change that status quo. Microsoft on the other hand, seems way more intent on transforming the open Windows PC based ecosystem into something closer to Android or in their wildest secret dreams, something closer to the Xbox or Apple way of doing things.

I would highly oppose any attempt to combine The Church and The State, the same thing Valve and Epic are fighting to prevent from ever happening. Buy a console or a mobile device if that is the future you want for the Windows PC ecosystem.

Epic have revealed members will get a new free game every two weeks.

From 14 December to 27 December, Subnautica will be available for free

From 28 December to 10 January, Super Meat Boy will be available for free

From 10 January to 23 January, TBA

As a developer I can why the Epic store is appealing but as a consumer like myself, I honestly see no benefits to the Epic store at all.  Valve have done/do a lot for customers including things as such having native support for multiple controllers like Xbox One Controller, PS4 controller, Switch Pro controller etc in the steam client, and even reassign controls however you wish.  They also let developers completely create as many keys as they want to for free, without making a single penny from those keys.  It's lead to some great deals from many competing internet retailers.  I'm also someone who completely agrees with them making the store more open, I remember the 'curation' days of Steam and it was fucking crap.  99% of the crap on Steam you will never see unless you go looking for it.  It doesn't mean Valve are above any criticism, of course it doesn't and things like better curation tools are definitely needed but I'll still take it the way it is now over how it used to be.

I am all for Epic having a store, but what they are doing is just using their Fortnite/Tencent money to moneyhat games because they know they can't compete on featureset.  That doesn't benefit me in any shape or form.  Will it in the future ?  Maybe but until then the Epic Client is just going to be my Fortnite STW application.

Sergey Galyonkin is masterminding Epic's effort to take a chunk of Valve's business so they've certainly hired the best person possible who knows how Valve's platform works and performs for developers. As a mere 100 games generated 50% of the total revenue, it's certainly possible to reduce Valve's influence with a targeted attack on the cream of the crop. He gave an interview about how the Epic Games Store will work:

https://kotaku.com/the-guy-behind-steam-spy-has-been-working-on-epics-stor-1830890162

“I’ve learned a lot about how games are tracking [week] over week, how effective are sales (not as much as people think, exposure is more important), and more importantly, I got to talk to hundreds of developers to learn what they want from a digital store and what they like and don’t like about existing ones,” he said.

With the news that Bethesda are also pulling out, there will be fewer big games to crowd out the vast ocean of indie games competing for attention on Valve's content delivery platform, but then again, normal people install these delivery platforms to play the big games in the first place so it'll probably hurt Valve more than it will help them to have less of the big must play games available.

Some people are very pissed at this, but much like Netflix, why pay somebody else a cut if you can avoid the middleman and go direct to consumer yourself?

On 05/12/2018 at 14:34, Broker said:

I thought the whole point of the Windows 8 and 10 stores was that there were Windows features that your game could only use if you sold it as an app through those stores? With people being concerned that it was an attempt to use their platform holder position to close out Steam and others in order to create a monopoly? 

Which Windows features were those?

30 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Which Windows features were those?

Ask Tim Sweeney ;)

"Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They’re curtailing users' freedom to install full-featured PC software and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers."

Eurogamer did an article in 2012 looking at whether Gabe Newell's similar concerns about Win8 had any basis with some hindsight, with plenty of developer quotes, some even positive. The same basic concerns exist with Microsoft's 2nd attempt at a built-in store (and in the case of Tim Sweeney, the implementation of UWP that went with it) so nothing really changed since then.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-06-gabe-newell-right-declare-windows-8-a-catastrophe

As Valve have been making some typically Valve-time moves in improving gaming on Linux, the GabeN's concerns haven't been overly allayed by Microsoft's actions since 2012.

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

Ask Tim Sweeney ;)

From what I remember that was all around MS introducing features in UWP that were't going to be in the old API's and Tim Sweeney then stating that UWP games would only exist on Windows Store which lead to MS clarifying that UWP games could be released on Steam too so no real lock down to one store.    Perhaps I'm misremembering but it all seemed like the usual drama being pumped up by the usual people.   

32 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

From what I remember that was all around MS introducing features in UWP that were't going to be in the old API's and Tim Sweeney then stating that UWP games would only exist on Windows Store which lead to MS clarifying that UWP games could be released on Steam too so no real lock down to one store.    Perhaps I'm misremembering but it all seemed like the usual drama being pumped up by the usual people.   

Windows 10 default is to allow you to install UWP software from any location you choose to trust.

image.png.bb7d56b455e20191ae021c25d0ffdffd.png

Bloody M$!

On 05/12/2018 at 11:33, PC Master Race said:

That literally cannot happen. 

Oh noes the Windows store is rubbish. If only I could somehow install software on this OS in some other fashion. 

Microsoft are never ever going to lock down the IS like the tinfoil hat brigade keep claiming as it would devestate their enterprise business. 

So where else can you buy Forza Horizon 4?

MS made no secret that they wanted Windows locked down to the same degree as Apple's platforms around the launch of Win 10. They are still trying to encourage developers to use UWP. Albeit much more half-heartedly now that their mobile OS is dead and the Windows Store is a ghost town.

Pretending that MS never made a serious effort to do this, and wouldn't do so again in a heartbeat if the market conditions allowed them, is extremely naive.

The 'Enterprise' argument doesn't work either, MS have split their platform into consumer and biz tiers multiple times.

4 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

So where else can you buy Forza Horizon 4?

Where else can I buy EA software? Where else can I get Fortnite? (the most popular game in the world right now)

Microsoft not selling their software on a third party store is hardly the same as the tinfoil shit being spouted in this thread, and I know you are not stupid enough to think it is the same.