Metroid Prime Trilogy (Switch) *unconfirmed*

25 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

I’ve played Splatoon 2 with pointer controls on detached Joy-cons and it felt fine. No problems with aiming, drifting or disconnecting. I get that it might cause issues with certain set ups, though, and as usual I’d rather play MPT with the Pro Controller’s gyro anyway.

It definitely went far more wonky than the pro controller when I gave it a go.

I think a big part of this was that I was naturally using the motion far more than I would when using a Pro where the combo of stick and motion to turn is more balanced. So I wasn't correcting horizontal drift  using the stick as frequently, which happens without even thinking or noticing it on the Pro. And when using the Steam Controller in FPS games. 

36 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I wonder if there might be a solution to the pointer issue by using the Right Joy-Con IR Camera?

The fact it's on the bottom of the Controller makes things more difficult, but I don't think it's been established just how capable it is.  Could that be used in some way to track the Joy-Con's orientation & Position?

I think you'd have to get it pointing the right way somehow for it to be of any use.

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

A "2D-HD" Zero Mission would probably kill me out of sheer joy.

As in redrawn higher res pixel art? I would find that look horrendous. Now, a modest budget, brand new traditional 256 res Metroid adventure would bring me a lot of joy.

8 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

As in redrawn higher res pixel art? I would find that look horrendous. Now, a modest budget, brand new traditional 256 res Metroid adventure would bring me a lot of joy.

I think he means like that Bravely Default sequel with the mix of styles?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to get your hopes up with a bump but it sounds like it’s time to manage those E3 expectations:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/metroid_prime_trilogy_switch_port_unlikely_says_former_retro_studios_dev

"I am pretty skeptical it will happen. It was straightforward to update [Metroid Prime 1] and [Metroid Prime 2] to motion controls, but converting [Metroid Prime 3] to normal controls would be a herculean effort, as it is scripted very specifically using volumetric triggers to detect the motion in precise manners to do specific switches, and the bosses are tuned to take into account the ease of gestural aiming."

Guys, I've figured it. Retro aren't working on Metroid Prime 4: they're making a brand new, completely different Metroid Prime 3 for the Switch Trilogy. That's works, right?

They’re not going to release an action game that can only be played with Joy-cons though.

Pointer aiming has this balance between being able to make swift broad moves and small precise ones that’s really hard to emulate on a joypad. I don’t envy the idea. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen but I do agree with the ex-Retro guy’s perspective that it’ll be a challenge.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Then just do the first two only FFS it's not rocket science. Fucking hell

I would just take the first game at this rate. I doubt I’ll be in the mood to go through THREE Prime games before the next one is out anyway.

I thought the most common rumour was still that this game was done and dusted and they were just sitting on it until the timing was right, same as the Pikmin 3 port.:unsure:

MP1 and 2 worked perfectly with the wiimote on WiiU, that’s the best version of them. It improved the way the games played, same as how Resi 4 was massively improved with the wiimote. So we already have versions that exist with motion controls coded in. 

This should be a simple 20 minute job to port to switch, half an hour tops to upscale. Don’t care about MP3 as it’s not a patch on the other two. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

MP1 and 2 worked perfectly with the wiimote on WiiU, that’s the best version of them. It improved the way the games played, same as how Resi 4 was massively improved with the wiimote. So we already have versions that exist with motion controls coded in. 

This should be a simple 20 minute job to port to switch, half an hour tops to upscale. Don’t care about MP3 as it’s not a patch on the other two. 

So much wrong. 

Speaking of wrong, did I ever tell the tale of me running the Wii ports of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 in high res in the Dolphin emulator because they were widescreen but spent a lot of time mapping the motion controls in those games back to a normal Xbox 360 controller because I don't like waggle?

Philistines! Waggle and pointers were the best, they opened up so many new ways of playing that we’ve now lost. Imagine how cool and accurate a new wiimote would be now we have about 15 years of technological advancement. No re-centering, no bar under the tv, super accurate aiming. It would be a game changer. And it would mean an amazing way to play a new Metroid. 

I was hoping the new PS or Xbox might have some cool innovation like it, but they predictably played it safe.