rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Treble

Battle Princess Madelyn - G'n'G alike and, yes, it's coming to Switch

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Switch release 13th December, around the £15 mark. Cheapest looks to be South Africa, at £12.75. 

If I like it on Steam, i'll definitely be doing the ol' double dip.

https://eshop-prices.com/games/1689-battle-princess-madelyn

That’s not bad. When I saw it’d been delayed on Switch I assumed it was so they could wait until it’s £2 on Steam and then charge £25 for it. 

• Empathy 1

I managed to fit about 30 mins in on this last night. First impressions? Hmm, bit of a slow start.

You head right, in typical GnG fashion, flinging weapons, then hit a wall and have to backtrack to a castle where there are loads of hint markers and people asking you to complete tasks you can't access yet. 

That's thankfully brief (and my tip is: don't bother speaking to any villagers at this point) and the game proper begins. It starts a bit basic - I got one different weapon and no new armour, and fought about 5 different - but fairly generic - enemies. 

On the positive side, that's Story mode, which I'm gonna bin off immediately and restart in Arcade mode. Hopefully it'll be much more lively! 

The graphics are gorgeous. Compare it to the last canonical entry from Capcom (Ultimate GnG on PSP) and it's so much better looking its silly. It's not doing anything the PSP couldn't, but it has a level of love and care that matches what Capcom were going in the 90s.

The controls/mechanics are really solid, so fingers crossed Arcade mode is where the fun is as there's loads of potential here 

• Upvote 1

Ha! I did exactly the same as you, story mode got sacked off pretty quickly. Arcade mode feels much better.

Probably sacrilege but the GBA version of goolies on toast with the double jump is my favourite (don't know how close that is to the snes version) and this feels just like it so I'm happy.

Deadzone on the analogue stick could be a tad bigger, probably gonna shove my arcade stick in the next time I play and try that.

Will also make sure I have a ranged weapon for that first boss, that didn't end well.

8 hours ago, Treble said:

I managed to fit about 30 mins in on this last night. First impressions? Hmm, bit of a slow start.

You head right, in typical GnG fashion, flinging weapons, then hit a wall and have to backtrack to a castle where there are loads of hint markers and people asking you to complete tasks you can't access yet. 

That's thankfully brief (and my tip is: don't bother speaking to any villagers at this point) and the game proper begins. It starts a bit basic - I got one different weapon and no new armour, and fought about 5 different - but fairly generic - enemies. 

On the positive side, that's Story mode, which I'm gonna bin off immediately and restart in Arcade mode. Hopefully it'll be much more lively! 

The graphics are gorgeous. Compare it to the last canonical entry from Capcom (Ultimate GnG on PSP) and it's so much better looking its silly. It's not doing anything the PSP couldn't, but it has a level of love and care that matches what Capcom were going in the 90s.

The controls/mechanics are really solid, so fingers crossed Arcade mode is where the fun is as there's loads of potential here 

Please tell me this isn't a metroidvania and you can save as you go along?  Tried a couple of MV's on the switch (Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge)and know enough that I don't like them.  Main game is Witcher 3 atm on pc but wouldn't mind a fun alternative to mix it up a little.

On 07/12/2018 at 20:40, davidcotton said:

Please tell me this isn't a metroidvania and you can save as you go along?  Tried a couple of MV's on the switch (Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge)and know enough that I don't like them.  Main game is Witcher 3 atm on pc but wouldn't mind a fun alternative to mix it up a little.

Definitely not in Arcade mode. 

I've got towards the arse end of level two, and it's three lives where you respawn roughly where you died. When the lives are exhausted, you continue automatically from the start of the level. 

There's no restarting from that level after you quit, though, and no saves: you're restarting from level one each time. Who knows, you might be able to unlock a level select (or a cheat discovered) but for now it's a straight up arcade experience. 

I like it so far. The levels are good, and each is about the same size as a Super GnG level. It's much more about plotting a route than dealing with billions of baddies. They still spawn regularly, but not underneath you (!) and not as frequently. 

Because the levels are large, especially vertically (partly because of 16:9 creating more real estate) a fall can be a pain in the arse - you can plummet several screens deep. That's a bit of a ballache. 

But yeah, so far it's a cracking clone that may end up standing alongside the originals. And it's already better than the merciless, pitiless PSP game :D

I...I like the PSP game...

I still don't have this, but it'll be interesting to find out the length of an average playthrough if there are no saves. And if there's a traditional "false ending"...