Mortal Kombat 11 | April 23rd 2019

Revival

Really enjoyed the gameplay segment, particularly the SonicFox vs Rewind set; that was nice and tense.

The Perfect Block as a Just Defend style mechanic is a good addition; sounds like it also negates chip damage as well as allowing you to recover more quickly when defending. The "Punish" notification when you hit an opponent in recovery is excellent and I wish more games had it (apparently Killer Instinct did?); it's a useful learning tool for learning guaranteed rebuttals for seemingly safe, spammed moves.

The Fatal Blow move being a once per match comeback move rather than once per round is cool. It means you have to win at least one round honestly and creates some meter-management mind-games too.

The King of Fighters style short hop to counter sweeps and the like seems good. I also like that special moves can be enhanced offensively or defensively (with separate meters for each, recharging on a timer rather than building through offense/defense). Skarlet's defensive blood orb is a slow fireball. Slow fireballs are one of my favourite things in fighting games.

The stances and animations still look stiff and look awkward when transitioning from one another despite the flow and choreography of longer moves being so polished. I guess it's a deliberate style choice at this point but it does cheapen an otherwise great looking game. I like that the blood colour pops a vibrant red. The slow motion into the frozen final frame for fatalities is particularly well done. Very into it.

I find it extraordinary that Ed Boon has now spent the better part of a quarter of a century working on Mortal Kombat. I mean, this looks great and all, but it's been a pretty gentle evolution over that time. I bet he secretly despises it.

From that gameplay footage it's easy to see that it's going to be another visual spectacle and it's incredible to see how NetherRealms raise the bar with every game they release. However... those fucking animations! They're still just flailing their limbs about without any care for human anatomy and basic physiology. I mean it's... serviceable? But my god every other game in the industry shits on MK when it comes to that aspect.

Just look at this shit! :lol:

8 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I'm not seeing any of that in the Mk11 footage tho? Animations on the whole seem much improved from the previous games. Care to share some examples? 

Just look at Raiden's lower/mid kick. It's less of a kick and more just him extending his leg in someone's general direction. It's atrocious. 

1 minute ago, Down by Law said:

I watched the 17 minute rewind/sonicfox set from the reveal and Raiden didnt do that kick once, so I'll have to take your word for it. 

Everything else looked good to me. The Raiden superman into powerbomb looked amazing though ^_^

Check the Max footage. 

4 hours ago, hmm said:

I find it extraordinary that Ed Boon has now spent the better part of a quarter of a century working on Mortal Kombat. I mean, this looks great and all, but it's been a pretty gentle evolution over that time. I bet he secretly despises it.

Actually, 9 to 11 are a pretty big evolution gameplay-wise.

I think Ed is genuinely passionate about MK, otherwise he could just quit. The man must be loaded.

I'm in two minds about preordering this. I'm still really enjoying X and haven't really rinsed it yet. I've probably only completed the standard tower with half the roster and haven't really dug into more than a handful of characters. Not gone through the Krypt either. Though I can't help thinking that the online will drop off a cliff when 11 launches.

So I may hold off until the price drops.

Who am I kidding? Preordered.