rllmuk
Revival

Mortal Kombat 11 | April 23rd 2019

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

Dead or Alive still works out signficantly cheaper per character. Very expensive if you want all cosmetics though.

The SFV passes included the costumes but the stages had to be bought separately (they could also be unlocked with fight money, as could characters).

MK11 however has far more detail included with each character, from matchup-specific interactions to unique intro/outros as well as other cosmetic stuff like fatalities/brutalities.

There has, to date, never been a fighting game with a good story mode.

See, I'd argue that's bollocks because the last 3 MKs have all had good story modes. Sure, they're nonsense but most seem to find them very entertaining nonsense. It's basically the studio's greatest strength.

Posted (edited)

They're exponentially better than every other fighting game story but they are still absolutely dire.

Edited by joffocakes
  • Upvote 1

I (obvs) really enjoyed playing through the single player campaign last year. I’d happily play through it again and probably will. But yeah, still poor by most story standards. Kronika is a bit of a snooze and it felt like the middle chapter of an on-going arc than standalone.

With the price thing, the other way I look at it is if they’s done a kickstarter to add Robocop with Weller voicing, there are fans who would’ve paid more than £5-10. 

Fujin's move at 0:38 is that a homage to Big Trouble in Little China?

The way Robocop takes damage looks awesome, I hope they recreate this in game

-utIIWQhE_oxaKNoyV_azBqWeCnj3sn5kSvH6uVF

Looks great. Didn't realise there were some free updates incoming too :)

Man, those are really damn good. The whole presentation of MK11 is top-notch really.

Hahahaha, it’s 2 and a half hours of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa hamming it up being a complete shit and I am totally here for it. His Shang is the most delicious bad guy this side of Palpatine.

Honourable mention also to the Greatest Love Match Across The Ages:

Spoiler

Shao & Sindel 4ever.

Dabbled with Robert Cop a bit, surprised how enjoyable he feels. Think they should have included some of the failed Robocop 2 heads as helmet options though - I always loved that screaming skull under the police helmet guy.

• Upvote 1

I really want this but I'm damned if I'm stumping up 35 note. I will wait till it's had a bit of a reduction.

I've been avoiding all the spoilers on the friendships and extra stuff so it's all going to be a nice surprise to see. Tried out Spawn's last night and it's brilliant!

• Upvote 2

A story in three acts, with an outcome no one could possibly ever, ever predict:

Act One

Spoiler

1779965570_ShangTsung002.thumb.jpg.e5aa9451ea5de23f39f28f09a1e31d45.jpg

"Now I know what you're thinking but seriously guys, I swear: I will NOT fuck you over this time."

Act Two

Spoiler

522836088_ShangTsung001.thumb.jpg.70d3ab1229a9b6d9db42237d4059085f.jpg

"Look, you have good reason to be suspicious but honestly, truly for reals this time, I'm not gonna fuck you over."

Act Three

Spoiler

1880790481_ShangTsung003.thumb.jpg.fa668ebbe844a5305f8ab013eb7d3b84.jpg

Love love loved it.

• Upvote 1

The storyline for MK reset for 9, didn't it? I've never paid that much attention to the story, to the point where I don't really know what a Revenant is, would going back to 9 and working through to 11 catch me up?

The Aftermath story is substantial. No regrets paying for it - and it essentially subsidised the new stages and friendships for everyone.

Also, the retrocade stage is amazing.

Had another dabble on this tonight, i love The T-800 as a character he is such a joy to play with and i like his interactions with the other character especially the quirk with Fujin.

And i skipped all the friendship trailers where i could so his friendship move was a delight to see. 

I do wish they had released the new characters separately because after playing through the trial towers i found Shiva a joy to play with and would love to explore her character in more detail. 

I haven't played this in a really long time |(since around when Terminator dropped).  At that time, I pretty much finished the Krypt and unlocked most of the items.

Has there been any update to the Krypt in terms of new areas and things to unlock since then?

I can't believe they got Peter Weller seeing as he's wanted nothing to do with Robocop for years. I guess a truck full of money will sway anybody. 

Am I imagining it or does the game look slightly worse post Aftermath patch? Thinking lighting / character models. I'm probably imagining it.

I enjoy the story mode, but with the caveat it is only a couple of rungs above SFV story mode in terms of being incomprehensible garbage. It gets by on it's 90's b-movie charm. I haven't played an MK game since 3, and I find it silly how they expanded novelty fighters into whole races with armies just so they can have large scale escalation of fights in cut scenes. I suppose calling it juvenile is missing the point, but I'm not sure what is wrong with basing the story around human characters trying to escape a fighting tournament held in a supernatural realm. And, for a game with a ton of fatalities, death is meaningless and inconsequential so there's no peril or tension in the story. Sigh. I won't be reading the comics anytime soon.

It's heavily implied we'll get another 8 fighters (5-fighter pass 2, and a final story expansion with 3 characters and new stages). We're probably another year away from the Komplete edition.

Given they're mentioned in Aftermath it's likely these leaked characters will be included: Quan Chi, Havik, Daegon. No idea who they are, but they look trash so the re-designs better step up.

There are "leaks" they lost the license for Ash, but I'm suspicious, more likely they would want to build-up hype and make him the final guest as it seems he was ready to go.

He's the only remaining character I'm looking forward to. Cyrax / Sektor are a given. I'd be happy with Smoke / Reptile / Mileena but apparently the devs like to exclude some popular characters each game?

I really hope John Wick and Michael Myers are fake leaks because they wouldn't suit the game at all. Also, wish you could turn off Fatal Blows, they're the worst part of the game. Like three easy-execute fatalities stacked at the end of every round.

Okay, moaning over.

What's this like on Switch? Worth the hit in aesthetics? I have a PS4 but more likely to okay it on Switch. I haven't played an MK game in ages.

Managed an 11 win streak in Kombat League earlier which is the best I've even done in this game; I usually end up with a 50% win rate at best.

A couple of those wins were Quitalities but I'll happily take 'em:

On 30/05/2020 at 10:39, iknowgungfu said:

What's this like on Switch? Worth the hit in aesthetics? I have a PS4 but more likely to okay it on Switch. I haven't played an MK game in ages.

Gameplay wise, from the small amount I’ve played, is identical, but naturally it’s a bit blurry compared to the PS4 version. But it seems a decent port to me.

• Upvote 1