Mortal Kombat 11 | April 23rd 2019

Revival

13 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Is there somewhere that sums up the MK plot(s)?

Tempted to run through the story modes of both 9 and 10 to try to catch up...

Grab a cuppa, buddy, this is a wild ride...

Mortal Kombat 9 aka The Increasingly Poor Life Decisions of Raiden, God of Thunder

Part I: Mortal Kombat

Forewarned of a future apocalypse if he doesn't intervene, Raiden assembles a set of warriors to compete in Shang Tsung's tournament, with the fate of Earth at stake. Johnny Cage is there for publicity, Sonya is there to arrest Kano, they end up getting dragged into the tournament anyway. Raiden has a premonition that Sub Zero must survive but the revenant Scorpion doesn't give a toss and slays him in revenge for the murder of his clan and family. The rest of Sub Zero's clan meanwhile are arguing about the pros and cons of becoming cyborg ninjas, with some reluctant to give up their humanity, others saying "fuck yeah, let's be robobros". After much punching of mans, reigning champion Goro is defeated. Raiden's champion Liu Kang then beats the crap out of Shang Tsung, saves the world, hurrah! Raiden is upset because the signs indicate this won't stop the future he's forseen from occurring...maybe Liu Kang isn't the chosen one after all?

Part II: Mortal Kombat II: The Kombattening

Shang Tsung slinks back to the dimension of Outworld in disgrace, with his boss Shao Kahn ready to execute him for his failure. He manages to persuade Shao Kahn to give him a second chance by offering the champions of Earth a winner takes all tournament in Outworld, with Shao Khan willing to relinquish his claim on Earth if he loses. Raiden figures it's the best chance to protect Earth from Shao Kahn forever so he goes for it. Kano goes with Shang Tsung and sells rocket launchers and machine guns to Shao Khan's army, Sonya chases after him determined to bring him in, and Jax comes with her. Sub Zero's younger brother joins the gang, along with a guy called Smoke but their clan goes all in on the cyborgs thing and aren't taking no for an answer. However, instead of Smoke getting captured and getting the Cyberman treatment, Raiden screws up and it happens to Sub Zero instead.

Meanwhile, Shao Kahn's daughter Kitana gets a tip off to check out Shang Tsung's lab. Inside she finds all kinds of messed up stuff, clones of her with severe dental problems. One of them comes to life and tries to make out with her. Kitana runs back to daddy, telling him Shang Tsung is making abominations. Shao Kahn explains yes, that's what he asked Tsung to do because Kitana is a lame failure of a daughter and he's done with her. She's imprisoned ahead of execution but her bodyguard Jade tries to bust her out, before Raiden and chums show up to actually bust her out.

Kung Lao, who Raiden begins to suspect may be the chosen one to save the day, steps up to kick all kinds of ass and shows off after wiping the floor with Shao Khan's champion, Kintaro. Shao Kahn isn't too impressed and straight up merks Kung Lao in front of everyone because fuck you, he's the Emperor and he takes no shit from punks in bad hats. Liu Kang is very upset by this and beats sixty shades of shit out of Shao Kahn, winning the tournament and ending the threat of Outworld forever, hurrah! Raiden looks even more constipated though as his premonitions of doom are getting worse, not better...

Part III: Mortal Kombat 3: Are You A Shao Khan Or A Shao Khant?

Shao Kahn is pissed, he's given up his claim to Earth forever and Liu Kang just made him look like a chump in front of his home fans, what can he do? The necromancer Quan Chi points out the only thing preventing them from invading Earth is some bullshit barrier ward spell the emperor's estranged wife, Sindel made in ancient times...so why don't we just raise her as an obedient revenant and get her to lift it? Job done, Shao Kahn kills Shang Tsung and uses his lifeforce to empower the missus further.

Outworld invades Earth, monsters, dragons, monsterdragons, the works. Raiden petitions the Elder Gods to help out but they aren't too fussed at the moment so he keeps assembling his gang of champions. A couple of SWAT cops get attacked, one is badly burnt and the other almost killed before Raiden shows up to save him and add him to the team. As for the burnt one, it turns out he's Kabal, an old mate of Kano's. Kano finds him and patches him up and offers him a job with the winning team. Kabal says yeah no I'm good thanks and peaces the fuck out back to Earth and joins up with Team Raiden, now composed of Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, Smoke, Nightwolf, Kitana, Jade, a cyberised Sub Zero, and fellow SWAT cop Stryker. They realise Quan Chi is creating a spell to unleash - I shit you not - a SOUL TORNADO that will seize the souls of every being on Earth. Sub Zero and Nightwolf go to stop him but Quan Chi is protected by another mysterious revenant...the original Sub Zero! While the brothers fight and Nightwolf is able to stop the SOULNADO, a rare victory against the invaders and returns to base.

Raiden and Liu Kang leave Team Raiden's crib to get some groceries or something, at which point Sindel shows up and WRECKS EVERYONE'S SHIT like Godzilla versus a litter of puppies. Smoke, Jade, Kabal, Stryker, Jax, Sub Zero and even her own daughter, Kitana, are brutally killed, while Sonya and Johnny Fuckin' Cage are badly busted up. Nightwolf sacrifices himself killing Sindel just as Raiden and Liu Kang return to find the carnage. A despairing Raiden decides they can't stop Shao Kahn alone so he journeys to the Netherealm to bargain with Quan Chi for help against Outworld. Liu Kang tells him he's gone mental and stays to tend to the wounded. Raiden offers Quan Chi the souls of any who die in the process as payment, including his own. Quan Chi ponders the offer...for about 5 seconds before laughing, raising the deceased Team Raiden members as revenants and telling Raiden to get fucked.

Finally, Raiden pieces it all together and realises how to stop Shao Kahn - allow him to merge Earth and Outworld and the Elder Gods will finally get off their arses and slap him down like a bug. Liu Kang loses his shit and refuses to go along with such a dumb plan, and prepares to fight Shao Kahn - he's beaten him once, he can beat him again, right? Raiden tries to stop Liu Kang...and kills him by mistake because Raiden is fucking useless.

Shao Kahn clowns on Raiden for a bit and begins to merge Earth with Outworld. The Elder Gods empower Raiden with all their might, so he blows Shao Kahn up into a zillion pieces and prevents the doomed future he foresaw from coming to pass. Hurrah! Party time! Sure, just about everyone except Raiden, Johnny and Sonya are dead but that's still enough for a party, right?

Meanwhile, Quan Chi converses with the disgraced elder god Shinnok. Everything has gone as they planned.

tl,dr - Raiden is a chump and gets everyone killed but does save the Earth. Sort of.

Seems to be the this is the full list, give or take:

Spoiler
  • Scorpion
  • Raiden
  • Shao Kahn (pre-order)
  • Sub Zero
  • Sonya
  • Baraka
  • Skarlet
  • Geras
  • Kano
  • Kabal
  • D'Vorah
  • Jade
  • Johnny Cage
  • Liu Kang
  • Kung Lao
  • Kitana
  • Frost
  • Erron Black
  • Kotal Kahn (woop)
  • Jacqui Briggs (yay)
  • Cassie Cage (woop, though the strike means Ash probably won't VA her again)
  • Noob Saibot (booooo)
  • Jax
  • Cetrion
  • The Kollector
  • Shinnok (maybe unlockable)
  • Mileena (unlockable)
  • Shang Tsung (unlockable)

I dig it. Some folk are mad salty that Fujin, Rain, and especially Reptile didn't make it but eh.

This video goes into the customisation options, both in terms of cosmetics and actually changing a character's moveset so they can go from a zoning/keep away style to close quarters rushdown, etc. It's kind of bananas to me as I'm very much used to the traditional 'this is Nigel, he is a grappler/this is Philomena, she is very fast' kind of approach to characters so really looking forward to trying this out and finding who/what works best for my playstyle.

Yeah, I can't deny I do find many of the modern fatalities to be overly gratuitous and graphic, and the length of them tends to be sadistically long, particularly when you suspect some chud spends all day making videos of Cassie* or some other young girl getting brutalised over and over. I much preferred the original ones where they'd be a quick finishing move as opposed to things like Kung Lao's one where he'd drop his sawblade hat down and slowly drag the victim over it while they're sliced in half. As ridiculous as may sound, Sub-Zero grabbing someone and ripping their spine out a couple of seconds later or Liu Kang's cartwheel and uppercut combo or comical dragon transformation were far more palatable to me. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

* Yet at the same time, Cassie's MKX selfie fatality was equally gruesome yet makes me laugh like a drain so go figure.

5 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Yeah, I can't deny I do find many of the modern fatalities to be overly gratuitous and graphic, and the length of them tends to be sadistically long, particularly when you suspect some chud spends all day making videos of Cassie* or some other young girl getting brutalised over and over. I much preferred the original ones where they'd be a quick finishing move as opposed to things like Kung Lao's one where he'd drop his sawblade hat down and slowly drag the victim over it while they're sliced in half. As ridiculous as may sound, Sub-Zero grabbing someone and ripping their spine out a couple of seconds later or Liu Kang's cartwheel and uppercut combo or comical dragon transformation were far more palatable to me. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

* Yet at the same time, Cassie's MKX selfie fatality was equally gruesome yet makes me laugh like a drain so go figure.

Brutalities are basically the quick finishers now. 

I like both, but then again, I'm the sick type of bastard who enjoys ultra violent action movies like The Night Comes for Us.