rllmuk
Revival

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

I guess this is the same engine as Fallout, right?  If not they have done a good job of capturing it's ugly NPC and general jankiness.

Still, probably a day one purchase for me.

So, I wonder how this will play on the Switch now that it's been announced....

Also it's not going to be released with the other reiterations as another group are porting it over.

55 minutes of gameplay courtesy of Giant Bomb. Only heard a brief bit about the game until watching the video, but now really keen to see how it turns out.

• Upvote 2

I was really underwhelmed watching the Pax east footage posted earlier in the thread, so gonna hold off watching anything else until release I think. The previews I've read all sound really good tho. 

I skipped parts of the video as want to keep the experience fresh where I can, but they talk of a 20 hour campaign, which is music to my ears, and that's from someone that's put over 400 hours into Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Red Dead 2 and Hitman 2 collectively in the past year. Add in the Art Deco styling and this is an RPG I can get onboard with.

23 minutes ago, SM47 said:

I was really underwhelmed watching the Pax east footage posted earlier in the thread, so gonna hold off watching anything else until release I think. The previews I've read all sound really good tho. 

Yeah, think the above will be the last video I watch until GB's Quick Look and similar arrive. But even with a little taster feel a little more motivated to clear out a few games I've been stockpiling in the three months that remain until TOW's release.

On 04/04/2019 at 11:40, Cool Ben said:

I guess this is the same engine as Fallout, right?  If not they have done a good job of capturing it's ugly NPC and general jankiness.

It runs on UE4, so clearly either a design choice or the developers are understaffed/inept.

3 hours ago, glb said:

55 minutes of gameplay courtesy of Giant Bomb. Only heard a brief bit about the game until watching the video, but now really keen to see how it turns out.

Looks fun. Cant wait for this to appear on Nexus mods. 

edit: apparently no mods support and thats a shame. I would really want to see this game get a reshade.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

It runs on UE4, so clearly either a design choice or the developers are understaffed/inept.

It's an Obsidian game so there's every chance the writing will be generally good and the game will look and play like refried vomit.

That seems a little harsh; excluding New Vegas (whose primary technical/graphical issues can reasonably be put at the feet of the Fallout 3 engine), there's only really Alpha Protocol which meets that description, and even that didn't look bad at the time - it was just super-janky to play.

Outer Worlds does fall quite far from the (gorgeous) isometric CRPG style they've mastered in recent years, so I'm certainly wary of how it will play - and yeah, it doesn't look visually amazing. Pretty much the traditional RPG experience, then, CDPR's output notwithstanding! 

• Upvote 1

The best thing about Microsoft buying Obsidian, InXile, and Double Fine is of course that those studios finally get to bring their ambitious ideas to life with a proper budget backing them up. But the second best thing for sure is that all their games will come to Game Pass :D All three of those studios always make games that I'm interested in, so I couldn't be happier! My wallet even more so!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The best thing about Microsoft buying Obsidian, InXile, and Double Fine is of course that those studios finally get to bring their ambitious ideas to life with a proper budget backing them up. But the second best thing for sure is that all their games will come to Game Pass :D All three of those studios always make games that I'm interested in, so I couldn't be happier! My wallet even more so!

Especially since most of us got 3 years of game pass for a stupid price recently :)

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Especially since most of us got 3 years of game pass for a stupid price recently :)

Where and is it still available?

I believe its expired. It was a scheme where you could convert your existing gold subscription to ultimate game pass for £1 so people were able to just buy three years worth of gold at approx 35 to 40 per year and then add it all and get 3 years of ultimate game pass for around 120 

The link is in the bargains folder! 

Would love to wait for this to come to Switch, but it's difficult to know what the performance will be like, and how long we'll have to wait.

Might have to dust off the PS4....