IGNORED

Dragon Age Dreadwolf

JPR

It's still alive, seems to be some way off so not much information yet. Just happy Dragon Age isn't dead at the moment.

Thankfully it seems to be picking up from where DA:I Trespasser left us with Solas returning to destroy our world and not a reboot or spin-off.

http://static.cdn.ea.com/blog.bioware.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Mural_FLAME_LAYERS-1024x576.jpg

Hey everyone,

We have been working on a new Dragon Age™ game for quite a while now and I am pleased to finally tease the existence of this project!

While we won’t be sharing any details for now, I can tell you we have been building a new team around a core of Dragon Age veterans, people I’ve worked with on Dragon Age, Jade Empire™, and some of whom I’ve worked with since the Baldur’s Gate days.

While I have been focused on Anthem™, the rest of the team has been hard at work exploring ways to push BioWare’s storytelling to the next level.

I’m so excited to show you more!

Mark Darrah, Executive Producer

Making players into heroes of their own stories has been my real-life quest since Baldur’s Gate.

Over the years I’ve taken on increasing challenges: building vast living worlds, devising fun party-based combat and illustrating fantastic stories. Now, I’m honored and excited to continue BioWare’s rich legacy of colorful companions, romance and epic choices in my favorite fantasy franchise.

We’ve gathered our strongest team yet and are venturing forth on the most epic quest ever!

Matthew Goldman, Creative Director

Source

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one but if I'm completely honest the last good RPGs BioWare made were Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age 1 PC version imho. Mass Effect 2 was a fantastic story-driven action shooter, and I had fun with Inquisition also but in retrospect it played mostly like an Ubisoft sandbox in an RPG skin - just going mindlessly around, checking off a bazillion digital shopping lists. But, I'm still curious to see how this turns out because I'm always game for a half decent  single player RPG.

I'm pleased they are retuning to this project after clearly flagging the way forward at the end of Inquisition.  The franchise hasn't settled consistently on any single gameplay style yet so they could go back to a more tightly focussed affair, or even back to the classic Bioware design format Intro -> choose 3 or 4 destinations -> finale.   Keep the armour customisation from Inquisition though - that was lovely.

1 hour ago, JPR said:

Hey everyone,

We have been working on a new Dragon Age™ game for quite a while now and I am pleased to finally tease the existence of this project!

While we won’t be sharing any details for now, I can tell you we have been building a new team around a core of Dragon Age veterans, people I’ve worked with on Dragon Age, Jade Empire™, and some of whom I’ve worked with since the Baldur’s Gate days.

While I have been focused on Anthem™, the rest of the team has been hard at work exploring ways to push BioWare’s storytelling to the next level.

I’m so excited to show you more!

Mark Darrah, Executive Producer

Making players into heroes of their own stories has been my real-life quest since Baldur’s Gate.

Over the years I’ve taken on increasing challenges: building vast living worlds, devising fun party-based combat and illustrating fantastic stories. Now, I’m honored and excited to continue BioWare’s rich legacy of colorful companions, romance and epic choices in my favorite fantasy franchise.

We’ve gathered our strongest team yet and are venturing forth on the most epic quest ever!

Matthew Goldman, Creative Director

Ok Matthew Goldman, that is all fine and dandy but will there be an awkward song?

It is quite sad for me when a new game from BioWare is announced and it makes so little impact. Their last efforts in the DA universe have been awful, old fashioned in a bad way with mediocre writing, story and characters. I am wondering if they will make any effort to actually have mature writing and characters, especially after being completely outclassed by W3. I do not care much about their gameplay systems, they have always found a good balance to be enjoyable for me, new or old.

7 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

It is quite sad for me when a new game from BioWare is announced and it makes so little impact. Their last efforts in the DA universe have been awful, old fashioned in a bad way with mediocre writing, story and characters. I am wondering if they will make any effort to actually have mature writing and characters, especially after being completely outclassed by W3. I do not care much about their gameplay systems, they have always found a good balance to be enjoyable for me, new or old.

Inquisition is a perfectly fine game. As for having mature writing and characters - well, I'm not entirely sure there mature needs to be a definite in any tale. Fantasy can be just as hokey and cliched as it likes, as long as I enjoy it. Hell, I still enjoy reading my old Dragonlance books, and they're as basic as you like. Doesn't make them any less enjoyable for me that's for sure.

As for characters? Inquisition's got a whole stack of great ones. 

9 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Inquisition is a perfectly fine game. As for having mature writing and characters - well, I'm not entirely sure there mature needs to be a definite in any tale. Fantasy can be just as hokey and cliched as it likes, as long as I enjoy it. Hell, I still enjoy reading my old Dragonlance books, and they're as basic as you like. Doesn't make them any less enjoyable for me that's for sure.

As for characters? Inquisition's got a whole stack of great ones. 

It is a very mediocre game with a really bad story for me. As for characters, I really didn't enjoy any of them. Their constant worship of the main character, the perfectly articulated words, the lack of any natural style in the writing meant they never really became anything else than videogame characters, which is the main problem of BioWare writing, plus the horrible "hero's journey" story telling. Jesus, let go of that already ffs.  

All of this is sad because I remember I started playing it with a lot of hope. 

I still enjoy my Dragonlance books as well.:)

I think a whole lot of the issues with Bioware is EA.

Bioware are pretty much the best company out there for the actual world-building of their games. Both the Mass Effect and Dragon Age universes feel like they've been around forever, as they just have so much back story added to them to flesh the things out. But there's most definitely a case to be said that ever since Mass Effect 3 there's been something 'rushed' and messy about them. I've had a huge amount of enjoyment out of all their games - even Andromeda was very enjoyable - but EA's constant need to get things out the door, bung in multiplayer and extra shite all over the place has harmed Bioware enormously, and I can't see Anthem doing anything to change this.

Anthem almost seems to be the very antithesis of what Bioware are all about, but who am I to say?

I'm certainly looking forward to the new DA game as I know it'll afford me more time in that world I really rather love, but I certainly not banking on it being anywhere close to a Bioware game in their prime.

God, the mere thought of EA messing around with beloved franchises makes me sad.

• 1 year later...

I feel like after Anthem this is Biowares last chance. EA probably want ridiculous sales figures too, and with any developer really being able to handle the rumoured Mass Effect Trilogy, this could be it for Bioware. :(

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

I feel like after Anthem this is Biowares last chance. EA probably want ridiculous sales figures too, and with any developer really being able to handle the rumoured Mass Effect Trilogy, this could be it for Bioware. :(

I think it’s already too late. If Anthem didn’t do big numbers, a fourth game of this bland shite isn’t going to turn it around.

I genuinely pity the BioWare who thought they could replace The Forgotten Realms and the Star Wars universe with their own settings. Now they just make games that feel like shitty rip offs of their own old games.

7 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Bland? Sometimes I feel I'm either playing completely different versions of Dragon Age Inquisition than the retail one or I just haven't played enough good games to put this in the shade.

I think part of it is fatigue. After I played BG as a kid I got very into the lore, and over the years I’ve absorbed various massive sets of fantasy lore. Most of them have stuff that makes them unique or their own feel, but I’ve always found that everything in Dragon Age feels a bit like some other setting, and it’s short of those weird flourishes that set it apart and remind me which one it is. It reminds me very much of the Warhammer universe, in that it’s a great backdrop for fighting but not very interesting to tell stories about. I enjoyed the first one a lot at the time, but didn’t really enjoy the world. 

When I tried playing 3 a few months ago, it felt very boring to me. I played Witcher 3 around the same time, and although I didn’t enjoy that at all, the setting and characters were infinitely more memorable than Inquisition. 

A disclaimer first - I'm not a massive fantasy fan (I'm only 5'10 LOLZ) and outside of the big examples of the genre, in literature, movies and games, I wouldn't say I dabble in it alot. I've played stuff like The Elder Scrolls, bit haven't gotten round to The Witcher yet. I heard it was best to play Inquisition first so as to not sour the experience. 

But in my layman's eyes, the universe isn't that bland. Unfortunately it does require some grabbing with the dreaded lore, but I think the world has some unique markings and interesting caveats.

I really liked Origins when it was released free on PS Plus and it felt like a proper old school Bioware RPG - a fantasy KOTOR. It had interesting characters and though the blight was a bit hackneyed, the smaller dilemmas were engrossing. Like deciding what to do with the "bad guy" who was a shit, hit had reasons for being one. The Mage v Templar conflict I think was built up well, tthough they could have perhaps made the Templars less of bunch a right wing nut jobs. The stuff with the Fade, the Qun and old gods has come to the fore in the recent games, which at least gives it its own spin on the cod western fantasy setting. 

The side characters were great as always though, and it's something the series has done well. These are your primary ways of both engaging with other characters but also the game world itself, as their constantly jibes, interactions and criticism will filter your own experience. You get some blandos but the game does a good job of making you want to go through again with an entirely different team. 

As for Inquisition, I was quite impressed when I first played it, given my PS4 was quite new at the time. But it definitely has the scars of a game that was also designed for PS3. Some of the MMO trappings are also evident and there's a lot of busywork if you choose to engage with it. In contrast, the main quest is actually quite tight, free of bloat and probably doable in 20-30 hours, which is "short" for an RPG but does lend it a nice pace if you ignore the many, many, many side/fetch quests. 

It does some interesting stuff with its main quests too. The party level was great and a real departure from what you expect from this game. It helps give it a little flourish of its own and I like when the game experiments like this as it makes it feel more like a real world and less like someone wanting to be Tolkien. 

Not sure what to expect from DA4. The troubled development and Bioware's recent track record has be a bit worried. I don't mind some online elements, but I don't want it to be a Destiny-esque game that removes the single player RPG elements and the world-building decisions that you can affect. I like Destiny, but its game world is the same for every single player and you're basically just a tourist in it. 

I'm excited for it though, as the end of DA3 and it's DLC set up the story really well. It seems that the plot is going to be "save the world" again, but at least they've set up the villain well, and there's a personal connection there.  

Inquisition has the most by the numbers design of the three. Like I've said before, it's as if Ubisoft made it with its repetitive collectathon digital shopping lists for each area. It's fine but bland and extremely uninspired.

To be honest, after Mass Effect 3, Inquisition, Andromeda, and Anthem, I would be very surprised if BioWare still has it in them to produce a quality RPG of the same quality as their classics. I hope so, but I fear the worst.

18 hours ago, Broker said:

I genuinely pity the BioWare who thought they could replace The Forgotten Realms and the Star Wars universe with their own settings. Now they just make games that feel like shitty rip offs of their own old games.

Mass Effect 1 had a genuinely fascinating setting which didn't feel derivative (like Dragon Age did as a "best of fantasy fan fiction") despite its clear sources of inspiration. As far as I'm concerned the last great BioWare RPG, as good as ME2 was it was a more streamlined action game experience which built on the cool ideas established by the first one. 

Imho of course.

I enjoyed DA:I when it came out it was fun but then Witcher 3 happened, I went back to DA:I about a year and half and yeah after witcher it seems bland, the goal posts have been moved a huge amount and RDR2 is about the only thing that has come close to witcher 3 since. 

Saying that i do like the characters in DA:I Dorian was a stand out for me and showed some progression in their writing. 

Maybe I'm over optimistic but I think there is plenty of scope for more games in the DA setting.  When DAO appeared Bioware had a big chunk of the console WRPG market.  Now that's not the case and, following the "kickstarter era", the genre is thriving with lots of competition from the likes of Obsidian, Larian, and Playground (all digits crossed) and the expectation that PC RPG will find their way over sooner or later (e.g disco elysium ).  The other point is that the 3 DA games have so far been quite different structurally.   It would be possible to pull back from the bloated open areas of DAI whilst retaining the highlights of the series, but I have no idea how much talent has leached away, or what the corporate objectives are.  In summary, outlook uncertain.

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

but I have no idea how much talent has leached away, or what the corporate objectives are.  In summary, outlook uncertain.

It's often said that nobody from the Mass Effect 2 era is still at BioWare. Doesn't mean that the current team isn't able to come up with something special.

I really really hope they find success with DA4, this really feels like do or die. :(

• 2 months later...

This reminded me of that one E3 at the start of the generation where EA had completely missed the boat on the new consoles and had to quickly throw together footage from inside the development studio. "We're working on something, yes, honest, just be patient for 3 or 4 years, we thought phone gaming would completely replace consoles oh shit oh shit"

This thread was created in 2018? This game has been in pre-production since forever? Anthem was 2019? And yet it looks like they're just about halfway through pre-production. "Here's a model of a head for a character that we're creating, just film this monitor while we turn on and off the one expression we were able to cobble together in time. Oh god EA is going to shut us down. Please be excited, we have concept art. Oh god they're going to Bullfrog us"