Dangerous Driving - it's Burnout! Out Now. "brake a little earlier than you were thinking of, stay on the gas and steer!"

wev

@Mr Do 71 I think I was going to write the same thing there.

I just posted in the other thread - but we had a fun day at the office meeting complete strangers who travelled from all over the country to come and say hello and have a play of our four month old game. Didn't get the chance to eat a thing, had two cups of tea all day and expect I'll lose my voice now!

It was lots of fun, reminded me of doing a full day at E3 or something - so with that all over we're all going home to collapse in a heap!

Have a great weekend everyone, and remember, do drive carefully....

@CrashedAlex Looks lovely. 

Can I ask a favour? I’d love it if you put an auto-accelerate feature into the control scheme - ideally giving brake and “not accelerate” as separate button presses.

My hands cramp up holding down a button to accelerate for long periods, especially in this sort of tense racing game. 

The auto-accelerate in MK8 is much appreciated by me. 

RI didn’t know Mario Kart 8 had auto accelerate.

OK if that’s your thing but blindly auto accelerating would remind me of a mobile phone game a bit.  

It’s perhaps a good feature for someone with a disability. ( I’m not suggesting Soi has one! )

As far as your game goes, it looks lovely. Make it as arcade as you possibly can but don’t fall into the trap of having no content. Saying that also think about how good the original Ridge Racer was and what was there to play with, remember how you could literally just keep playing it and playing it ..forward tracks,reverse tracks and keep on playing it!  ... facing off against the pesky black devil car. 

Combine longetivity  with with good controls and we are into a winner.

You probably have online play modes in mind but don’t let it ruin what looks like a solid game!

@Hello Goaty ♥ Thanks for that.

As far as 'having no content' we're making as much as we can afford to with the time and money we have. There is a limit I'm afraid. We simply cannot compete at the same level as massive teams of thousands who have years to make games. Those teams are backed by massive companies and have endless resources

We simply do not. If you see our game on IGN you're seeing four months or 120 days of work. I'll do my very best to entertain you though. I hope we can do that!

Well, I quoted Ridge Racer as an example!

You could argue if you look into it that the original Ridge Racer was one or two racing tracks and bugger all else. 

Its what Namco did with what little content they had which worked so well.

I’m not going to teach you to suck eggs, as you already know this anyway.

Even Rocket League is a simple concept with not much content really. But that’s like crack too :)

look into the intricacies in what content you have in your game and see how to bring the gameplay out for us all.

Edit: Tokyo Highway Battle had a lot of fans too ( admittedly not Edge magazine! ) 

and that’s literally one big track ;)  with devious naughty rivals that make you throw the pad!

It's interesting to wonder if "Rocket League' would get made today. It's an online game and the advice given to independent developers at present from the format holders is 'give up on online as you will have ZERO players' - bc everyone is ONLY playing shooters apparently. But they are only trying to help from the data they see on how many people play "OnRush" or "Laser League' because they get to see all of the numbers.

Sega Rally was just a few cars and tracks. I played it on Saturn for several thousand hours, but then hey, Sega aren't making stuff like than anymore.

Gaming is a very very personal thing for most people. We all like different things. Personally speaking, I spent days and days just walking around in "Watch Dogs" without doing any of 'the game' just marvelling at the quality of the open world before me.

Today was refreshing to meet so many true fans of the genre. People who just get it. Much different that meeting 'industry' at the old trade shows.

I won’t mention names but don’t fall into the trap of releasing something “ radical and different ... or a new kind of something “  especially! if you don’t have the budget to keep throwing money at it till it clicks with the gaming public. 

Try your best to make it addictive and make you smile while racing and smashing into other vehicles. 

Traditional gameplay ( ha whatever that is ) seems to be the way to go.

Like the other thread says, it has been such a long time since I’ve enjoyed a good arcade racer.

Forza Horizon is a good example of a team doing something right as the racing in that is superb,

but I do think they rely on their massive game maps too much, and it becomes just like every other

racing or driving game in recent memory then. - Like being handed a list of chores!

4 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

It's interesting to wonder if "Rocket League' would get made today. It's an online game and the advice given to independent developers at present from the format holders is 'give up on online as you will have ZERO players' - bc everyone is ONLY playing shooters apparently. But they are only trying to help from the data they see on how many people play "OnRush" or "Laser League' because they get to see all of the numbers.

Sega Rally was just a few cars and tracks. I played it on Saturn for several thousand hours, but then hey, Sega aren't making stuff like than anymore.

Gaming is a very very personal thing for most people. We all like different things. Personally speaking, I spent days and days just walking around in "Watch Dogs" without doing any of 'the game' just marvelling at the quality of the open world before me.

Today was refreshing to meet so many true fans of the genre. People who just get it. Much different that meeting 'industry' at the old trade shows.

I bought a second hand xbox years ago just to play burnout 3. Such good fun. Also still have my old UK copy of Burnout on the gamecube. I've always loved arcade racers because, essentially, they are the racers people of my age grew up with. The likes of outrun, super hang on, Top gear etc. Just pure gaming when it boils down to it.

Oh, and are you using your own engine for this game or is it something off the shelf? Keep up the good work. Looks bags of mad fun. 

@CrashedAlex will there be music / licensed music in game? 

One of the things that made Revenge and Takedown for me was the music they introduced to me - genres I wouldn’t normally listen to or bands I’d never heard of. 

Forcing a car into a wall while listening to The Academy, Go Betty Go, Nine Black Alps etc can’t be beaten! 

My favourite music wise was definitely burnout 2. And especially the way the music was enhanced when you were boosting, really added so much! I always played that game with the sound LOUD through my sound system :wub:

I'm day 1 for this too.

I have a shopping list of personal hopes for it: closer to Burnout 1 and 2 than the others, a focus on racing, close shaves and boost chains, the boost system from 2 and the ensuing thrilling risk/reward feeling (you could only boost when the bar was full and if you maintained the boost for the entire bar you got extra boost energy wheras if you chickened out before you ran down the bar you got nothing, I think..)

A soundtrack that suits the game and not just random licensed rock etc. Appropriate music can make or break an arcade racer.

As many tracks that feel like Big Surf Shores and encourage long drifts and boost chaining as possible.

That said, from reading this thread and the other, I can tell that the style of 3 onwards also still has fans so it's a balancing act trying to please everyone, especially for a dev with the budget/team size of this one.

So, I'll just say I look forward to playing an arcade style racing game made by passionate people who understand what makes the classics fun.

It looks closer to my racing tastes than anything else we've had on current gen consoles so I wish the team the best of luck.

Just please don't put any form of xp/levelling system in it :)

On 08/12/2018 at 02:30, petrolgirls said:

It's not open world thank fuck and it looks like it handles and plays like Burnout/NFSHP. It's been far too long, can't wait. 

giphy-1.gif

:D:D:sealclap:

Thank fuuuuuuuck. What news to wake up too. I recently dusted off my OG Xbox just to play a few rounds of Burnout 3 and I was all over Revenge as soon as it became Xbox One compatible. I've missed having a game like that to look forward to. I play shed loads of Outrun 2 on my PS3 and whilst it didn't click with me personally, I've all the love in the world for Rushy and his team, for really trying to shake up what an arcade "racer" could be, with OnRush.

This however, looks like the precise stick with which to scratch that arcade racer itch. Looks the spit of Burnout, I hope there's still takedowns! The traffic checking stuff I can take or leave, but there was nothing quite as satisfying as clipping into your opponent and sending them flying.

Also great to see you posting on the 'Muk Alex. I remember many, many moons ago back on the Edge forums, where you used to post a bit and then out of the blue, one of the mods said something really snooty, along the lines of: "you only ever pop up when the word Burnout appears" and fair enough, you were a bit put out by that and as far as I know, you stopped posting after that. I remember thinking, "good job mods, let's make an actual developer feel uncomfortable about posting to us directly, about their game", so it's great to see you here and to hear you're still developing cracking arcade racers.

Day one... if that wasn't clear. :D

It's great to see anyone from the industry on here talking with passion and enthusiasm about their game, and more importantly talking about the *other* games they love. Because it's an awesome hobby full of rich experiences.. and we're all old and nostalgic here.

Outrun, Sega Rally, Ridge Racer (Hi Spec and 5 in particular), Rage Racer, and Burnout 2 are all definitely on my list of "Best Arcade Racers". 

I was lucky enough to be just the right age when Burnout and more importantly Burnout 2 came out – spent many a day missing uni lectures to enjoy them with my mates.. and though I doubt I will ever experience your new game in quite that magical way, I will definitely support it.

For 4 months of work, this looks absolutely incredible!

Please add plenty of hot air balloons, blimps, waterfalls, fair ground rides, jumbo jets, as well rolling, banked, almost impossible roads weaving through architecturally interesting bridges, a la Rage Racer!

On 08/12/2018 at 18:12, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

RI didn’t know Mario Kart 8 had auto accelerate.

OK if that’s your thing but blindly auto accelerating would remind me of a mobile phone game a bit. 

It’s perhaps a good feature for someone with a disability. ( I’m not suggesting Soi has one! )

I'm not the only one who's hands appreciate auto-accelerate in MK8...

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/2/15519010/mario-kart-8-deluxe-auto-accelerate-nintendo-switch

On 09/12/2018 at 09:09, partious said:

I'm day 1 for this too.

I have a shopping list of personal hopes for it: closer to Burnout 1 and 2 than the others, a focus on racing, close shaves and boost chains, the boost system from 2 and the ensuing thrilling risk/reward feeling (you could only boost when the bar was full and if you maintained the boost for the entire bar you got extra boost energy wheras if you chickened out before you ran down the bar you got nothing, I think..)

A soundtrack that suits the game and not just random licensed rock etc. Appropriate music can make or break an arcade racer.

As many tracks that feel like Big Surf Shores and encourage long drifts and boost chaining as possible.

Easily my favourite track, mainly because I managed to get gud enough to be able to boost chain the entire thing both forwards and reverse, very few experiences have come close to that level of pure adrenaline racing :D:wub:

Though if you've seen some of the freaks of nature play the game, you soon realise how much further you could push it if you were really good at the game.

@Robo_1 You have a long memory my friend, and yes you're right - I was around for 2001 and 2002 but that was about it. I did race against many on the forum on the first few nights of "Burnout 3:Takedown" online on the PlayStation2 for a bit. I didn't come to try and sell anyone on the game I'm working on - I just hope I can spread the awareness that it exists. It's been inspiring to know that fans of the genre still exist. Meeting fans who came to visit the office at the weekend was also good as well. It's never easy trying to finish a piece of software over Christmas, so things like that can help in finding those extra reserves of energy.

@pastry We're definitely NOT doing hot air balloons and stuff like that - we always think that stuff is just wasted art time.

@elyuw As one of the the very few indie teams making an intensive 3D driving game, we're not trying to be 'the successor' to Burnout 3 - but more trying to bring the spirit of the games we worked on before back, and trying to take them to a new place. 

@Salsa Party Animal Thanks for your kind comment. 

@mushashi Please understand that as an independent team we're spending money on the game first and foremost. But we'll have more to say.

Can't write or respond much more at the moment as we're slammed trying to author the entire single player game this week.

@CrashedAlex  Maybe this is just me, but very little kills my enthusiasm than a lengthy load time after I chose “Restart”. Mistakes happen during a time trial or score attack, and a lengthy load time really adds insult to injury.

edit: when I hastily typed the above I seem to have forgotten to make a point. So, uhm... please have an instant restart option in Dangerous Driving.

@df0 Totally hear you - and as a player I agree. But as a developer there is only so much we can do. We don't make our game engine - we use Unreal Engine 4 so the faster it can load 'stuff' the faster 'retry' times can be - and nor do we make the hardware the game runs on. *Everything* improves with the more people, time and money you can throw it at it. Sadly, I don't have much of 'that stuff' right now. I am sure we will end up 'disappointing' people who are somehow upset with us for not doing 'that thing that is most important to them.'

For me, what's most important is how much fun it is to blast the cars around the tracks chaining the Boost. But that's just me...

Here are snippets of some of the emails we got from the folks who came down to convene the inaugural "Dangerous Drivers Club" meeting at the weekend...

"Dear Fiona, Alex and the gang,
Thanks once again for the chance to see a little behind the scenes! :)
Feels like a proper family there, next time I'll bring my boy along as he'd be sure to enjoy the game too."

"Hello 3FE team!
I'd just again like to extend a massive thank you for not only coming in to work on a cold and wet Saturday, but for also opening your doors and showing us fans what you've all been working on these past few months.
I feel like I should apologise for both being a little quiet, and for ruining your nice promo photos with my ugly mug! So sorry about that, in retrospect maybe a 4am start wasn't the wisest idea!"

"Dear Fiona
Thank you again for inviting me to the studio to play Dangerous Driving yesterday. I had a lovely time playing the game, speaking to the team and playing with your dogs! As you mentioned yesterday, if there's any way I can get involved with QA testing the game before it comes out next February, I'd love to get involved.."

"Just like to say thanks for yesterday it was a great experience, you were all really nice and welcoming and it was great the way you all explained your parts in the game was really interesting, me and Mark left feeling like we were part of the game"

"Absolutely fantastic meeting the team and finding out all the various things that go into making a game like this. Can’t wait to pick up the game!"

" I absolutely enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the part where I got to drive through the red cones to record data for the A.I. I also enjoyed trying the game out. Thanks for an incredible opportunity :) I enjoyed meeting the team in person. I can't wait to buy the game. :)"

If you would like to take part in future events, then sign-up and join the Dangerous Driving Club at www.threefieldsentertainment.com/dangerousdrivingclub

Also, if you can tell me a good reason why we should come to your house and play the game with you before it comes out, then write in to the Studio and tell us why. 

@df0The Burnout PSP games weren't done at Criterion. They were done by an EA internal team at EA Chertsey. They were a dedicated group formed to port EA Canada titles over to the PSP.

It was headed up by veteran UK dev Rob "Barg" O'Farrell (ex-Probe know him since 1995) and also included Simon "Daredevil Dennis/Die Hard Trilogy" Pick on the team as well. I still know where he lives, so if you want I can let you know where that is so you can go and put sugar in his petrol tank or something :-) They did a good job I think and I'm sure they would be have preferred doing their own game rather than port ours.

But at the time I was pretty annoyed at those sorts of decisions being made immediately and sort of forced upon us so soon after we were acquired. I think we were one of the best PS2 teams on the planet at the time and I think most of us would have really liked to have a crack at it ourselves and try to become the best PSP team on the planet as well.