rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Commander Jameson

Avengers: Endgame (April 2019) - no spoilers please

I'm so worried about spoilers I dare not even read the spoilers about when to go for a piss! 

• Empathy 1

So my Chinese student who I tutor told me numbers, and asked if I had a special fondness for a certain character.

He also watched it via his friend's phone from China.

(null)

I keep pissing my colleagues and girlfriend off by saying “whatever it takes” at every opportunity. And then when they groan I go “du-dum dum dummmm du-du-DUM!”

Just spent flipping ages trying to book tickets at my local Vue cinema. Gone for the 9am showing and it's jam packed. Despite there being a gazillion screenings. 

We're stuck in the seats furthest away from the aisles , so going for a piss is going to be a ballache. 

Worst part is, I haven't seen the first one. I'm taking the kids :lol: not a fan of all this superhero malarkey , fully expected the fad to die out 

19 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Am I the only one worried that it'd be a much lesser film than Infinity War?

It's much, much better imo.

That one is a lot of action and not much else, this one is much more about the characters. It's probably the best film in the MCU but then again, one of the major reasons it works so well is because of the 21 films before it and everything they established.

50 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

It's much, much better imo.

That one is a lot of action and not much else, this one is much more about the characters. It's probably the best film in the MCU but then again, one of the major reasons it works so well is because of the 21 films before it and everything they established.

I agree its a better but I do feel they belong together as 1 big ass film. Rewatching Infinity War isn't mandatory but it should be I reckon for Endgame.  

IW down and the feeling in the cinema is just fucking brilliant. Folk cheering at key points, character entrances and just a real sense of everyone invested in what is happening.

Here we go....

• Upvote 2

MASSIVE SPOILER, ONLY FOR THOSE WHO SEEN THE FILM.

Wasn't keen on Cap giving the shield to Falcon

Great film. I think IW was better as a movie. This isn’t IW part 2. You can see why they renamed it

It’s celebration of 10 years of films, closing off IW and ending 10 years of plot strands/characters. 

I’m not entirely sure it’ll work as well on repeat viewings (certainly sone bits Id skip) but as an event/experience for a fan it’s unparalleled 

25 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Great film. I think IW was better as a movie. This isn’t IW part 2. You can see why they renamed it

It’s celebration of 10 years of films, closing off IW and ending 10 years of plot strands/characters

I’m not entirely sure it’ll work as well on repeat viewings (certainly sone bits Id skip) but as an event/experience for a fan it’s unparalleled 

Having just seen it, I'm not sure it does. Amazing experience though.

• Upvote 1

Just back, I agree it isn't better than IW, but it's an amazing thing to experience, it's really late now i'll expand on my thoughts in the morning.

It bloody well is better than Infinity War. If you're a Marvel fan, Endgame is pure fucking perfection! So many amazing scenes. Can't wait to see it again.

I'm not sure it's a better movie than IW but it's a more character driven one than that film. I guess it depends on if you want more action in your superhero films.

I'm drained by it, the film has a lot going on and will make you think about a lot of things afterwards but it's incredible and beautiful at times.

Spoiler

Also, I need a new avatar!! 

Edit: I just edited that to put it in spoiler tags... just in case. Thor spoiler. 

• Upvote 1

As a standalone movie Endgame felt exactly like Infinity War did the first time I seent it. It isn't just a movie. Its an experience years in the making and one that delivers some of, if not THE greatest moments I believe I will ever witness on screen. Much of it will deemed as fan service but what Endgame does goes beyond that. I had high hopes and could never have predicted the level of awesome things get cranked to, but its the smaller more carefully considered scenes that really set this apart from anything that has come before it. Almost all of my screening were cheering together at parts and I get that is something commonly attributed to US audiences but tonight it just felt right.

Spoiler

The final 45 minutes was beyond belief. It was just incredible moment after incredible moment and even though some of them were clearly going to happen it didn't detract from them when they did. Cap wielding Mjolnir and the fight he has with Thanos immediately after that was fucking ridiculous. Like every single nod to Mjolnir and 'is he worthy' moment over the years was building to that. "Avengers Assemble" too, while it was absolutely going to be said the scale and weight that it carried when Cap finally said it was more than I could have expected.

If IW was all about Thanos then Endgame was all about Tony. The arc RDJ has taken the Iron Man character through since he first emerged from that cave as the 'guy who would never make the sacrifice play' into the loving, heroic father who gave his life to save the Universe I don't think will ever be fully appreciated. From his moments with his daughter to his reunion with Peter it was played to absolute perfection and that line before the final snap is as epic a quote as there will ever be in a movie. Just brilliant!

Quite simply a landmark in movie making!

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, tbb said:

Not really a spoiler, just reference to the spoilered text above 

Reveal hidden contents

So is the film so long because there's a 15 minute segment of hulk just having lunch? 

:D

The piss-guide just says

Spoiler

it starts there and 10-15 mins worth after that are skippable (if you're desperate). 

• Upvote 1

I thought it was utterly fantastic, its mental how they managed to pull it all together. Can't wait to give it another watch. 

I don't know how Marvel or anyone else will be able to do it again.

• Upvote 3

Ticket for 09.30 screening, and I think I've woken up today with a mild stomach bug. :( I've had breakfast but I don't know if it'll stay down.

If I have one, it'd be the first time in at least five years - of all the days for it to happen!

Do I risk going? Or leave it today, see how I am and rebook for tomorrow? (The problem with that is that tomorrow morning's showings are also nearly packed...)

5 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Almost all of my screening were cheering together at parts and I get that is something commonly attributed to US audiences but tonight it just felt right.

Funny. I'm in Italy and had to go to a cinema next to a US airbase to see it in English.. I hate all the clapping and cheering and wanted to get up and tell them to behave :D

Also, we had a jarring 8 minute intermission which started a few seconds into a new scene.

• Upvote 1