rllmuk
Harsin

(Some) Streamers Are The Worst

1 minute ago, Gizamaluke said:

I mean, if a privileged white human content creator makes something purposely ugly and stupid looking and associate it with one of the poorest countries in Africa and mimics African accents and click consonants what could possibly be racist about that?

Fixed. 

Whilst I'm sure the implications weren't thought about at all when it was made, and I agree the tones are there and it's worrying kids are playing within such memes without the context to them, I assure you that most of the human race are not looking at it and being disgusted like you are, but laughing their heads off instead. From experience of similar bull 'offended by everything' politically correct offenses, not everyone is offended by such matters. Just ask actual eskimos, sumbero wearers, American Indians and indeed, African culture. Taking the piss of each other is natural and will always exist in some fashion, and are usually taken to extremes in my view.

Did I understand what's offensive about U Knuckles after this place (and only this place, as usual) pointing it out? Yes. But he's a made up character that's loved, he isn't shit on at all, if that makes sense. At least from what I've seen. People have made amiibo out of him and there's fan hacks of him in Sonic games now. That isn't out of disrespect for a country, I assure you.

But yes, you can call it unaware and ignorant. I call it the death of comedy in a lot of cases.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gizamaluke said:

Didn't need to be fixed. The origin of the meme is kinda important neg.

Pointing out the implications of such a meme is fine and understandable.

Blaming a certain colour of human for nearly everything isn't. It's in of itself racist and imo a far worse way to think in the long term. That tone achieves nothing besides resentment, belittlement and, again, racism. Equality goes both ways.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, NEG said:

Fixed. 

Whilst I'm sure the implications weren't thought about at all when it was made, and I agree the tones are there and it's worrying kids are playing within such memes without the context to them, I assure you that most of the human race are not looking at it and being disgusted like you are, but laughing their heads off instead. From experience of similar bull 'offended by everything' politically correct offenses, not everyone is offended by such matters. Just ask actual eskimos, sumbero wearers, American Indians and indeed, African culture. Taking the piss of each other is natural and will always exist in some fashion, and are usually taken to extremes in my view.

Did I understand what's offensive about U Knuckles after this place (and only this place, as usual) pointing it out? Yes. But he's a made up character that's loved, he isn't shit on at all, if that makes sense. At least from what I've seen. People have made amiibo out of him and there's fan hacks of him in Sonic games now. That isn't out of disrespect for a country, I assure you.

But yes, you can call it unaware and ignorant. I call it the death of comedy in a lot of cases.

Citation needed.

3 minutes ago, Fudge said:

Citation needed.

I'd post a YT link to one of the lobbies Joe mentioned, but it wouldn't be Rllmuk Friendly.

7 minutes ago, Nequests said:

It's funny how NEG only ever seems to go to bat for the racist dickheads. 

I bet he fucking loves Golliwogs. 

3 hours ago, NEG said:

Did I understand what's offensive about U Knuckles after this place (and only this place, as usual) pointing it out? 

This actually reflects well on this forum. If the other places you visit don't raise this sort of thing then chances are that they are full of daft racists. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

This actually reflects well on this forum. If the other places you visit don't raise this sort of thing then chances are that they are full of daft racists. 

Yes Stoppy, label everyone who disagrees as daft racists. Praise Rllmuk. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

And he voted for Brexit. It's almost like there's some sort of correlation...

52% of the nation were lied to. It was a lot more apparent after the election. Sorry. (not the first time I'm saying it here)

4 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I bet he fucking loves Golliwogs. 

Golliwogs? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NEG said:

I assure you that most of the human race are not looking at it and being disgusted like you are, but laughing their heads off instead.

I'd bet "most of the human race" would respond more along the lines of

538.jpg

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, NEG said:

Yes Stoppy, label everyone who disagrees as daft racists. Praise Rllmuk. :rolleyes:

52% of the nation were lied to. It was a lot more apparent after the election. Sorry. (not the first time I'm saying it here)

Golliwogs? 

If they can't spot racism in racist posts then chances are they are racists. But I'm sure you know that really.  

6 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

If they can't spot racism in racist posts then chances are they are racists. But I'm sure you know that really.  

No sir, that's not how racism works. But something tells me we've derailed this thread enough.

15 hours ago, NEG said:

Golliwogs

This bit in your post above:

21 hours ago, NEG said:

But he's a made up character that's loved, he isn't shit on at all, if that makes sense. 

... Is similar to my mum's thinking when, after a house move, she dug out her old childhood Golliwog toy and displayed him on a shelf. (Not a full size doll, a little figurine thing.) To her, it was just a beloved '50s childhood toy, and thought that her positive memories of it should take priority over everything else associated with them, and couldn't see why I was asking her to please put it away.

I don't believe she's at all racist towards people (she's very opposed to all the anti-immigrant rhetoric being spouted by the likes of the Mail and Farage), but she has a blind spot when it comes to those toys. I had to explain that the history behind Golliwog caricatures is so deep-rooted that no matter how many black friends she might have, and how much of a distinction she might make between those dolls and real people, and how much affection she might have for that particular childhood favourite... that doesn't override the fact that they are racist things.

(She took it off the shelf and packed it away somewhere.)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NEG said:

No sir, that's not how racism works. But something tells me we've derailed this thread enough.

How does racism work? Enlighten us.

11 minutes ago, APM said:

That is definitely not going to happen. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NEG said:

Textbook. Called out on something. Let's move on. Probably why you are in favour of old posts being purged. 

54 minutes ago, Nick R said:

This bit in your post above:

... Is similar to my mum's thinking when, after a house move, she dug out her old childhood Golliwog toy and displayed him on a shelf. (Not a full size doll, a little figurine thing.) To her, it was just a beloved '50s childhood toy, and thought that her positive memories of it should take priority over everything else associated with them, and couldn't see why I was asking her to please put it away.

I don't believe she's at all racist towards people (she's very opposed to all the anti-immigrant rhetoric being spouted by the likes of the Mail and Farage), but she has a blind spot when it comes to those toys. I had to explain that the history behind Golliwog caricatures is so deep-rooted that no matter how many black friends she might have, and how much of a distinction she might make between those dolls and real people, and how much affection she might have for that particular childhood favourite... that doesn't override the fact that they are racist things.

(She took it off the shelf and packed it away somewhere.)

One instance that comes to mind that I agree with is the removal of the black character from reprints of Issue 1 of The Beano. That to me is something which was made to be and is racist no matter who looks at it from any possible perspective. However, for historical purposes I do still feel there should be the original somewhere as well. Perhaps not as easily accessible, but you get what I mean.

Can't comment on Golliwogs, but while a thing can be offensive to someone, it clearly didn't make your mother racist. And it's that distinction I'm using. If family were to request it removed because they find it offensive however, that is understandable and it's nice she did.

47 minutes ago, APM said:

Should be obvious from what I've already noted. Malice and intent. U Knuckles is neither. The creator most probably didn't create it to be racist either. Thus not racist. Those who DO use it with malice and intent, would be racist.

Giza and Stoppy think, in comparison, that as soon as someone offended points out they think it's racist, that those who do not agree with their view are racist. It's not about the thing it's how the thing is being used, by whom and how, and why it was created in the first place. You can't just call anyone that disagrees an 'ism' to suit your political views. That creates even more separation from you and other people, and an actual 'ism' towards anyone you disagree with. Making you as bad as the people you are calling such a horrible term.

31 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Textbook. Called out on something. Let's move on. Probably why you are in favour of old posts being purged. 

There are plenty of reasons to purge old posts. But guess what, you'd still have 2019 posts to have a field day with if you feel like being that sort of wonderful human being. It's not about hiding views. It's the abusive nature of how posts can and have been used on this forum before, and the wider long term privacy concerns. Otherwise why would I still be posting stuff I know the regulars here will never agree with?

All this, might I add, from wanting to share Boogie doing a song, since he's in the 'terrible streamer' category. Well done, usual regulars.

22 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Nope. Here's the EHRC guide on racial discrimination.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/race-discrimination

As you were.

Thanks for the link 

I do not agree that something like U Knuckles is being used to discriminate. I agree that it can be seen that way due to the way he's drawn primarily (he'd be fine if he didn't have Ugandan in the name but the movie's name it's taking the piss out of instead), but not in practice. And if taking the piss out of the British for their love of tea and marmalade (via, I dunno, Paddington Bear) is discrimination in comparison, then we're being too stuck up our own arses if people really think jokes about other countries and cultures will end and that it's inherently bad from a base level.

Now, that doesn't mean something like Monty Python is inherently acceptable just because it's funny. But there really is a difference in the way a thing is chosen to be used.

• Empathy 1

11 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm not even going to bother because you clearly refuse to even begin to understand anything that doesn't fit within your very troubled world view.

I'm hoping he's a troll. 

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm not even going to bother because you clearly refuse to even begin to understand anything that doesn't fit within your very troubled world view.

Fair enough mate, unlike Stoppy I'm not going to tell you that what you are doing is 'Textbook' or that it's 'Not going to happen' like macosx. We've got enough stress enough our lives. Have a great day.