(Some) Streamers Are The Worst

Harsin

59 minutes ago, df0 said:

But yeah, I'm probably too old to understand these internet personas with that one "toxic" personality trait. I mean look at Pokimane, another complete toxic cunt and she's embarrassingly populair.

I'll stop yelling at the clouds now.

Is Pokimane that bad ? I remember watching a Youtube "internet expose" of her a few years back and was left scratching my head on the hate she gets. I saw one the other day where they were trying to tear her down because she "might have a boyfriend and her male fans were upset". 

I’ve never seen any evidence of her doing anything wrong other than being popular and being a woman, but I’m not invested enough to care. It seems like she gets regularly abused by angry teenage boys who can’t handle the idea of a woman being a more popular streamer than whatever boring cunt they love.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

See, that's just the old man in you. I have a lot in common with my 15 and 21 year old nephews, and I get a lot of what they like [...]

fellowkids.jpg.6698f182c5ef90e4d900f6f56eca6b71.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Well, people also give money to Star Citizen still...

But that's basically a cult isn't it? They've poured so much of themselves into the dream of that game that they can't not support it and risk it not coming about. They've got the Robert-Thetans.

Gonna put my old person hat on too and say I utterly loathe Twitch ‘culture’. Idiots who complain they don’t know what they’re doing or where to go because 90% of their attention is on the chat window full of sycophants and things are constantly interrupted while they regurgitate the same stale rehearsed phrase over and over to the chumps throwing money their way. There was one in particular I saw playing RE3 and I couldn’t last longer than 30min as they wandered around cluelessly while spewing the same fuckawful catchphrase to their donors every few minute. And don’t get me started on those emotes flashing up on screen or robotic comment-reading voices.

Burn it. Burn it all.

7 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

fellowkids.jpg.6698f182c5ef90e4d900f6f56eca6b71.jpg

But that's basically a cult isn't it? They've poured so much of themselves into the dream of that game that they can't not support it and risk it not coming about. They've got the Robert-Thetans.

I was just in the middle of a long post when you've summed it up in one sentence.

When I was a kid parents and grandparents would worry about the influence of MTV or Countdown.

And then spend spend Sunday morning in front of the set listening to the usual US based evangelists. Same line isn't it. I'm confident and successful. You're not.

But you can be. Just Make out a check to my church join the Champions Club. You can be part of something greater than yourself.

And maybe....just maybe you might be like me.

8 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

When I was a kid parents and grandparents would worry about the influence of MTV or Countdown.

Sorry what? Please tell me that in Australia Countdown is some hardcore rock music channel or something because I'm struggling to see even grandparents finding the energy for a moral panic about Richard Whiteley and Carol Vordermann doing some letter matching and numbers.

8 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

But you can be. Just Make out a check to my church join the Champions Club. You can be part of something greater than yourself.

And maybe....just maybe you might be like me.

And I think that's pretty human in all honesty. Some people are lucky enough to be born individuals, but I know that I definitely wanted to latch on to something anything to define my identity when I was younger. As you get older you sort of realise that nobody gives a fuck, that you don't give a fuck and out of nowhere you're voting Tory - but I guess that explains why Doc D has such an, uh... generous fanbase?

I could be talking shit here, of course and somebody will be able to supply some demographics that show his target audience are 45+ or something. And that would explain why they're chucking so much cash at him. Ah fuck it, I don't know what I'm talking about any more.

Just give me money and maybe you could be on the committee one day too.

Like anything theres really good streamers on Twitch, but its mainly just garbage. I sub to four channels, one which is a low viewer count FM stream, some scouse bloke who just loves the game, has no pop ups and you can actually chat with. One of the top Trials players because their skill level is off the fucking chart. Twitch Prime goes to another FM guy who will spend hours chatting with his chat about football in general.

And Elajjaz who is a Swedish guy who genuinely seems lovely, is great at what he does and his stream is fantastic to have on in the background. Gets around 5-8k viewers but it never feels like his chat is purely background noise.

I sub as Twitch is primarily what I watch these days. 80% of it is in the background while I play something but if I feel a streamer is worth a fiver a month I'm happy to do it.

17 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I could be talking shit here, of course and somebody will be able to supply some demographics that show his target audience are 45+ or something. And that would explain why they're chucking so much cash at him. Ah fuck it, I don't know what I'm talking about any more

I think last time he came up it turned out Doc has a lot of fans on here because he's an older guy and his gimmick is nostalgia, so yeah.

22 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Sorry what? Please tell me that in Australia Countdown is some hardcore rock music channel or something because I'm struggling to see even grandparents finding the energy for a moral panic about Richard Whiteley and Carol Vordermann doing some letter matching and numbers.

9 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I think last time he came up it turned out Doc has a lot of fans on here because he's an older guy and his gimmick is nostalgia, so yeah.

I can’t see a lot of kids being drawn to his act of pretending to be in an eighties movie, shitty synth music and all. 

I have Twitch installed because of Games Done Quickly but every time I've looked around on the app to find something else I might find interesting, I've just been baffled really. It's just an age thing though isn't it. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I’m 33 and watch more twitch and YouTube than I do any other type of TV by a significant margin. All you need to find is a game you understand how to play and a person who is good enough at it to be interesting and isn’t a total prick. Immediately it’s more interesting than 99.9% of TV because it’s about games. 

I'm 48 and have never really understood watching other people play games outside of fighting game tournaments and the odd video of someone with outlandish twitch skill. Even GDQ bores me when it's a game that's not actually quick. I absolutely prefer watching a good film to watching someone slog their way through a game while talking incessantly. Like I say, I think it's an age thing. I'd rather play a game than watch one.

edit: I like video content *about* games though. eg I love Game Center CX and the odd YT vid about eg, programming techniques used in MD games or suchlike.

edit edit: oh, I've just remembered something I liked on Twitch - Retri Man Cave did a series of retro quizzes a while back and they were fun. The quiz kit used was really good although I hated the chat, the emotes flying about and frequent chat about subs and whatnot

I'm 43. I have a family a 3 year old boy. Game time is extremely sparse. Every hour I would spend watching someone else play a game, literally equals one less gaming hour for myself. And often a few hours is all I have in a day, if any.

I'm amused and bemused by some youngster stating he's 33 as if that makes a point about older people watching Twitch. I've got news for you ;)

I watch twitch and I'm 43. It's great background viewing when i am in my office and need some company that I only have to semi-engage with. I've even been known to watch a bit at home whilst cooking. 

Imagine living in this world now as a younger person though. Imagine how alienated you would feel by all the old white men failing everyone but their mates with such ridiculous consequences yet being completely accountability proof. I'd find a lot more solace there if i wasn't so busy too. What else is there? Read a book by a terf? Watch BBC N word? The world is fucked right now. Twitch is sanity by comparison.

I don't watch cunts though. 

I watch Twitch occasionally, mostly Gwent streamers or someone playing a game I've finished to see their reaction to it, and some podcast style streams. It's mostly background noise while i'm playing something myself, or as someone else said, cooking.

But I don't have a clue what is going on in the chat windows, it's just gibberish.

It's kinda like when we were kinds our parents were like 'games and the internet are stupid, I don't understand how you can waste your time with that'. The same parents who spend all day playing shit games and being racist on Facebook now. It's just the cycle of nature - remember guys, rock music is EVIL!

24 minutes ago, Broker said:

I did not realise the generational thing included millenials, I kinda assumed that you guys meant it was a gen Z thing. But yeah, maybe the vast majority of gen xers are the ones baffled by watching games. 

Nah, as a millennial I know very few millennials that watch games.

It's the gen Z lot who grew up with streaming.

7 hours ago, Broker said:

I can’t see a lot of kids being drawn to his act of pretending to be in an eighties movie, shitty synth music and all. 

There's a weird sort of 80's nostalgia thing happening in much the same way as a lot of us were inundated with 50's nostalgia media in the 80's because those who grew up then were in charge of the media.

I mean two of the biggest movies in my early teens were Back to the Future and Dirty Dancing, I'm sure you can name more.

Edit, see Stranger Things now for instance as an example.

I watch streams now and then but they tend to be smaller streamers - a few people from this forum have done some fun streams and the back and forth between the chat can be good ( @murray did some great playthroughs with Bloodborne, Sekiro and Metroid; likewise @bradigor‘s old BB playthrough and some of @deKay’s more varied stuff.) There are “larger” streamers who aren’t awful, but often (due to time zones and things) it’s much more convenient to catch up on YouTube and skim through their stuff.