(Some) Streamers Are The Worst

That is wrong and also disingenuous. Carl is the least attention seeking person you could choose to make an example of in this genre. In fact, especially when the entirety of the content that you’re referring to directly addresses exactly the issues of anxiety, expectation, and attention that you’re so keen to point out, it’s almost a perfect thumbnail, in that it highlights the exact idealism YouTube promotes that happens to be in direct contrast to almost all regular content creators’ preferences and personal experiences, yet they’re forced into in order to be successful.

But like, lol, well done, you hate a stupid thumbnail. Nice one.

When the people in charge of the covers are cunts; maybe use your universe sized brain to ignore the fucking covers.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 4

Carl is a full on Doctor and incredibly intelligent, warm and funny. Thumbnail bad though. Do you guys also refuse to play games with shit boxes? 

In other news, after a lot of speculation that people wouldn’t be getting signed to exclusive deals for loads of money, Shroud has been signed back up by twitch for loads of money.

8 hours ago, Broker said:

Are you guys actually judging the books by their cover? :lol: 

Bad analogy. The author of the book often has no decision over the cover, with an artist chosen by the publisher. There's quite a few people involved.

YouTube videos are often a solo affair so this is the content creator themselves deciding that the best image to represent them is a gurning mug with off kilter text and maybe an arrow highlighting something you just won't believe!

• Upvote 1

That’s not even entirely true for YouTube anymore either. Many video creators now hire editors to get their videos out faster and to help them take better advantage of the algorithm.

They’re still the ones making the final judgement but how the thumbnail looks is not always 100% on them either. 

• Upvote 1

And this year's award for "Most Rllmuk Thread on Rllmuk" goes to the discussion on bad streamers turning into people providing discourse on whether books should or shouldn't be judged by their cover.

Runner up goes to the Cyberpunk thread in which it was confirmed it's actually better than sliced bread because that's just bread sliced and you can fly cars and punch people in Cyberpunk. 

• Upvote 5
17 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Covers are actually designed for you to judge books by.

But with a pressure from market forces that means that sometimes they have to conform to market trends in order to try to attract more customers, meaning that the cover is not always representative of the content of the books.

If only there was some sort of common phrase that summed this up more succinctly.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Broker said:

Are you guys actually judging the books by their cover? :lol: 

I used to work with a girl who would basically develop complex opinions on movies after looking at a poster.

I wanted to set up a website to publish her reviews, but was lazy and didn't.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Broker said:

Right?!

2E5A046A-079F-48BB-8A55-5B15DBF29A37.jpeg.4f7681286ce7e34f3951081d5a025654.jpeg

That's a classic US style cover from a specific era. As an example of that it's rather good. Also LOTR is shite.

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, David Heath said:

That is wrong and also disingenuous. Carl is the least attention seeking person you could choose to make an example of in this genre. In fact, especially when the entirety of the content that you’re referring to directly addresses exactly the issues of anxiety, expectation, and attention that you’re so keen to point out, it’s almost a perfect thumbnail, in that it highlights the exact idealism YouTube promotes that happens to be in direct contrast to almost all regular content creators’ preferences and personal experiences, yet they’re forced into in order to be successful.

But like, lol, well done, you hate a stupid thumbnail. Nice one.

When the people in charge of the covers are cunts; maybe use your universe sized brain to ignore the fucking covers.

I am in no place to judge Carl. I do not know anything about Carl. I wish Carl all the best.

That (type of) thumbnail yells and screams "notice me! click this video! look at this silly face I pull lol I am so random" and if I can be bothered the entire channel shall me marked as "do not show" or "do not recommend" or whatever it is called. Am I missing out on some good channels and content? Probably.

Carl might be the nicest person on earth and a source of inspiration for many of his viewers. That's great for him and his viewers.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I mean, it looks like an old Kurt Russel trying to practice magic in his pyjamas while that guy who was a team captain on buzzcocks before Bill Bailey tries to sneak a look at how the trick is done. Which now that I type it out is definitely a cooler story that Lord of the Rings. Thus proving my point! 

• Upvote 4

Yeah but if Gandalf was gurning and pointing at something completely irrelevant next to a shite font with a click baity title written next to him it would be worse.

The book would also be called "Shocking truths about rings of power that are unbelievable" or something.

• Upvote 2

I’ve also noticed the most simple, substance-starved topics gain the most traction. See all them scott the woz videos that land on your recommendations with amazing titles such as “Xbox 360 vs PS3”.

33 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Yeah but if Gandalf was gurning and pointing at something completely irrelevant next to a shite font with a click baity title written next to him it would be worse.

The book would also be called "Shocking truth about rings of power that are unbelievable" or something.

"The TEN things about the One ring THEY DIDN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!!!!!!!"

• Upvote 5
2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Frodo was such a Karen.

I suppose you would be, if you had a direct line to the manager and had a constant urge to do it.

Currently watching Shroud's return to Twitch. Never watched him before - FPS games on twitch are not my cup of tea, but at the very least he seems good at them and he's not a big cunty cunt about it, so that's nice. A firm Edge 8.

• Upvote 1

Shroud is one of the big streamers I can watch. He's generally reserved and not obnoxious and has an absolute shit tonne of skill at FPSs. He sometimes goes a bit heavy on the "Bro, I just... bro" nonsense but overall he's a painless watch.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Siri said:

I suppose you would be, if you had a direct line to the manager and had a constant urge to do it.

Currently watching Shroud's return to Twitch. Never watched him before - FPS games on twitch are not my cup of tea, but at the very least he seems good at them and he's not a big cunty cunt about it, so that's nice. A firm Edge 8.

Shroud I believe is one of the good guys. I always found his streams great to stick on in the background to chill out. He is always so relaxed, when its insane the level he is playing at. He will kill 3 or 4 people in a Battle Royale game in seconds and barely raise an eyebrow.