(Some) Streamers Are The Worst

Harsin

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

And Twitch's usual half assed "we'd really rather not do anything approach". Oh shit, forced to say something so we'll tweak the parameters a little but need to protect our income hard.

I watch a lot of Twitch but it's all in much less popular streaming worlds. Hearthstone and Trackmania mostly for some reason (never even played the later). Or Dota2 tournaments.

As a result I just broadly ignore and avoid all this sort of bullshit. I also am basically never subscribed to anyone, won't donate and have almost never chatted.

5 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Was there not a woman that literally had sex live while streaming and only received a 1 week ban? 

That's mentioned in the vid I posted, which is what people got angry about when the big streamer got his ban upped to 30 days. It's a colossal clusterfuck of Twitch's own making.

I'll never understand any of this. Adults throwing virtual shit at each other to appease their viewers obsession with drama.

Old man here, I wonder what those individuals do when the reach the age of 40. Still trying to cause drama with another 40 year old?

I can't imagine the career of a popular streamer is measured in decades. At best they'll get a few years out of it and if they're savvy they'll save money for when their viewers grow out of it. 'course, it's all uncharted territory. I can't see many of them making a transition to some other form of entertainment once their time had passed.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

At best they'll get a few years out of it and if they're savvy they'll save money for when their viewers grow out of it.

I really don't know about that, although I may be skewed in my opinion of only seeing certain parts of the lifestyle. But the number of YouTubers (some of which overlap with Twitch) with McLarens etc. is absurd. But assuming you can stomach Mr Beast right now, can you imagine tuning in when he's 50? I mean, obviously he'll cash out before then and just hire others to do the jackass stuff, but you get my point.

Will be fascinating to see if "YouTuber" figures above things like astronaut in the career aspirations of children once we've had enough time to fully appreciate the rise and fall of these forms of income.

The most startling about all this is the amount of them I've never heard of. I came across a car YouTube of a lad called Mat Armstrong who renovates crashed super cats and I've no idea where he gets his money. He's just done a Vantage, ffs. I don't know if he's worked his way up or had a business or mummy and daddy paid but it's just mind blowing the cars he's had and the possibility YouTube has paid for it.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

The most startling about all this is the amount of them I've never heard of. I came across a car YouTube of a lad called Mat Armstrong who renovates crashed super cats and I've no idea where he gets his money. He's just done a Vantage, ffs. I don't know if he's worked his way up or had a business or mummy and daddy paid but it's just mind blowing the cars he's had and the possibility YouTube has paid for it.

I have absolutely zero interest in streamers, but I must admit this has really piqued my interest. 

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

I really don't know about that, although I may be skewed in my opinion of only seeing certain parts of the lifestyle. But the number of YouTubers (some of which overlap with Twitch) with McLarens etc. is absurd. But assuming you can stomach Mr Beast right now, can you imagine tuning in when he's 50? I mean, obviously he'll cash out before then and just hire others to do the jackass stuff, but you get my point.

Will be fascinating to see if "YouTuber" figures above things like astronaut in the career aspirations of children once we've had enough time to fully appreciate the rise and fall of these forms of income.

We were hiring recently, and were honestly dumbfounded at the number of applications that came in specifying available hours due to 'streaming commitments' or similar considerations.

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The most startling about all this is the amount of them I've never heard of. I came across a car YouTube of a lad called Mat Armstrong who renovates crashed super cats and I've no idea where he gets his money. 

What the fuck are super cats and how do they crash? Normal cats are exceptionally agile.

7 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Spoiler: he isn't from a rich background, he just bought cheap houses in Leicester and became a landlord using a BRRR strategy.

6 hours ago, SeanR said:

7 years, the average ‘tubers career

i read that somewhere 

Most people change jobs more frequently than that (or so I read somewhere), doesn't seem too big a deal in that context?