(Some) Streamers Are The Worst

Harsin

5 minutes ago, robdood said:

Most people change jobs more frequently than that (or so I read somewhere), doesn't seem too big a deal in that context?

They probably won't be changing to a job with the same income as a successful streaming career though.

15 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This helped me understand what the fuck it's all about.

I started watching this and found it incredibly painful and only strengthened my view that all streamers should be rounded up, but now I just really want to know what Hans Nieman has up his butt.

10 hours ago, Sabreman said:

We were hiring recently, and were honestly dumbfounded at the number of applications that came in specifying available hours due to 'streaming commitments' or similar considerations.

Do you work in an industry that would be more likely to get people with these commitments or was that totally out of the blue? It surprises me, but the whole streaming scene totally passes me by so I am kind of blind to it.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I started watching this and found it incredibly painful and only strengthened my view that all streamers should be rounded up, but now I just really want to know what Hans Nieman has up his butt.

Was it the video or the content? That guy is much more palatable than your usual YouTuber because he doesn't do the hyper exuberant false bullshit, but I get why they're annoying. 

17 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I can't imagine the career of a popular streamer is measured in decades. At best they'll get a few years out of it and if they're savvy they'll save money for when their viewers grow out of it. 'course, it's all uncharted territory. I can't see many of them making a transition to some other form of entertainment once their time had passed.

Mark my words! Predictions that streamers will have short careers will age about as well as the people in the 1960s who assumed that Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger wouldn't still be performing beyond the age of 30.

Yep: I predict there's at least one streamer active today who'll still be making a career out of it in 30+ years! By then, video games might not be the big streaming activity, but there'll be some hobby that lots of people pay to watch other people do.

2 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Mark my words! Predictions that streamers will have short careers will age about as well as the people in the 1960s who assumed that Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger wouldn't still be performing beyond the age of 30.

Yep: I predict there's at least one streamer active today who'll still be making a career out of it in 30+ years! By then, video games might not be the big streaming activity, but there'll be some hobby that lots of people pay to watch other people do.

But how many bands that blew up around or after the Beatles are still sharing the same level of fame?

Only a tiny fraction of them!

I agree there won't be many streamers active right now who'll still be doing it more than a decade from now. But my point is that in the '50s and early '60s, people assumed that each band making teenybopper pop music was just a fad, and their careers would end when their fans grew out of it. That was true for most of them, but a few of them ended up growing up alongside their fans, and having careers far longer than anyone imagined. At the time, that was "uncharted territory" (as you put it).

That's why I'm wary of assuming that everyone streaming video games will have a short shelf life. Most of them will fizzle out and fade away, but a small proportion of them will go on for a very long time.

14 hours ago, TehStu said:

I really don't know about that, although I may be skewed in my opinion of only seeing certain parts of the lifestyle. But the number of YouTubers (some of which overlap with Twitch) with McLarens etc. is absurd. But assuming you can stomach Mr Beast right now, can you imagine tuning in when he's 50? I mean, obviously he'll cash out before then and just hire others to do the jackass stuff, but you get my point.

Will be fascinating to see if "YouTuber" figures above things like astronaut in the career aspirations of children once we've had enough time to fully appreciate the rise and fall of these forms of income.

From my experience working in education, streaming/YouTube is already easily number 1 dream profession for most kids, easily outpacing footballer/singer, let alone boring jobs that might actually be achievable. I’ve started telling them that planning to be a successful influencer is like making your career plan buying lottery tickets. Sure it might work out, but you’ll probably want a backup plan.

13 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The most startling about all this is the amount of them I've never heard of. I came across a car YouTube of a lad called Mat Armstrong who renovates crashed super cats and I've no idea where he gets his money. He's just done a Vantage, ffs. I don't know if he's worked his way up or had a business or mummy and daddy paid but it's just mind blowing the cars he's had and the possibility YouTube has paid for it.

Whilst I’m sure there’s some people who worked their way up from nothing as usual there’s a huge number of the most successful ones who are from wealthy families. PewDiePie’s parents are both hedge fund managers. Mr Beast went to a very expensive private school etc. 

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

"Shit camp".  Ffs. I'm out.

It's worth watching to the end for the sheer what the fuckery of it all.

Anyway, Twitch are fucking with their revenue splits:

https://www.ign.com/articles/twitch-removes-its-best-paying-revenue-split-for-streamers

And it seems people are not happy.

EDIT: Fuck it, Charlie again. Ignore the click baity title.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

20221016_225212.jpg

How the fuck is Keemstar even still around ? He is the worst of the worst. 

I suppose he is a great argument against anyone banging on about internet cancel culture and you can be "cancelled for saying anything nowadays". This racist, sexist dickhead is seemingly still one of the biggest news sources online for Internet Influencer related bollocks despite his past.

i wish i knew who any of these names were but the allegations of abuse are fucking horrible, it goes to show that twitch just don't have any concept of a duty of care for their big streamers and their staff.

So her husband is effectively pimping her on twitch to make money, telling her to do the hot tub streaming etc?

I don’t understand the whole abusive relationship dynamic or the hold he has over her, but surely she has all the financial power in this situation. That clip was effed up, he’s either totally cracked or he’s trying to make her think she is.

18 minutes ago, Darwock said:

So her husband is effectively pimping her on twitch to make money, telling her to do the hot tub streaming etc?

I don’t understand the whole abusive relationship dynamic or the hold he has over her, but surely she has all the financial power in this situation. That clip was effed up, he’s either totally cracked or he’s trying to make her think she is.

if you want a recent example, Britney Spears and her family's control over her life.

43 minutes ago, Darwock said:

He apparently has control over all the bank accounts etc 

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Something shady will come out about that cunt one day.

Unless it's severe enough to involve jail time then it's hard to see how it'd matter. Like, it's been obvious for years that he is a complete and utter asshole but he still has a audience and hasn't been booted off YouTube and other platforms. 

I haven't watched the Amouranth video, and don't know if I could to be honest, but based on the summary I've read it's a grim situation and I hope she gets the help she needs.