Your old arcade and game shop hangouts

Pob

The only other Glasgow arcade I've been in was Booths, in Renfield Street. Still there, but again, all puggies last time I looked.

I have memories of playing Killer Instinct there when it first came out. Later, only the downstairs area had videogames (SF3 and Raiden Fighters stick in my mind).

I grew up in Leeds and used to go to two game shops every week with my dad in the 80s. One I think was called Heromans Dell and they had a sister shop in Crossgates that for the life of me I can’t remember the name of but was the one we used to go to the most.

So many good memories of hanging out, chatting about games and playing whatever just came in.

There used to be, albeit only briefly I think, a shop opposite Romford station (mid 90s I guess?) that had a load of arcade machines in it. I think it may also have been a minicab office? I remember spending a bit of time in there occasionally, they had a good selection of games too.

5 hours ago, peeveen said:

The only other Glasgow arcade I've been in was Booths, in Renfield Street. Still there, but again, all puggies last time I looked.

I have memories of playing Killer Instinct there when it first came out. Later, only the downstairs area had videogames (SF3 and Raiden Fighters stick in my mind).

Booths is where I remember getting really into Initial D while at college. In my memory it was the last arcade game they had, and then it just disappeared one week. 

Last time I was in Glasgow I saw there was a barcade called Super Bario on (checks…) the corner of Trongate and King Street, so that’s quite nice. I didn’t get a chance to go in, but I’ll give it a try next time I visit. 

Four Quarters in Peckham is/was pretty cool, according to Google it’s survived the pandemic. 

Living inland in the UK was a bit of a bad hand to be dealt if you were a kid who loved arcades in the 80s and 90s. 

Although for some reason the top floor of our Debenhams had a whole load of cabinets, in a little dedicated area next to the bit where they sold games (a Silica concession, I seem to remember). 

There was also another little place in Ipswich, that I only found a couple of times ... Down one of the side roads not far from the old Odeon. This one was more like a proper arcade but it was very small. I remember seeing a lot of Neo Geo games in there, which you didn't otherwise often see in this country. Anyone else remember it? I seem to remember it was an actual dedicated arcade, rather than a business that was meant for something else but also had some arcade games there. 

I lived nearer Colchester, which was even worse than Ipswich for arcades. There were a few in the cinema, and also at Rollerworld (which was the main reason I got excited about going there). 

There was also another place, on Queen Street, which was really a fruit machine place (a very dark and dingy one). But if you went through a door at the back you found a little storage-sized room with four or five arcade games, where we spent many happy hours playing Point Blank and Sega Rally. We weren't supposed to be allowed in as it was 18+ but the attendant never cared because we clearly weren't interested in the fruities. 

Thankfully we had several trips each year to Eastbourne or Brighton for me to feed my coin-pushing habit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2021 at 12:06, ZOK said:

The main arcades in my youth were either the one at Lyme Regis, or the one at Seaton. Both still around but pale shadows of their 70s and 80s selves, now all fruities and ‘win ticket’ type machines, when they used to be packed to the rafters with all the arcade greats like the full Star Wars cab and Commando. Lyme had many top notch pinners too, they even had that crazy Black Knight 2000 machine with the machine gun ball launchers.

Lyme:

E97654F4-DC6E-4628-9465-4EBDE628EC32.jpeg.703633e63fa3a502499dbbfc9937d2f8.jpeg

Seaton:

CDC67AD9-8BDE-4E05-8D43-A600BAA35CA4.thumb.png.6b5caf76375fd8e4713366954f33ae58.png

Someone took some nice snaps of the Lyme one:

5B328B16-D072-4F4E-952C-FCCF02F769E4.thumb.jpeg.77d10dd2535f0b520cac777dde3ae9cf.jpeg

BC688DE4-B522-41DE-A34C-5E1620027CC2.thumb.jpeg.d442c611d58631fd12747a1e15a93a3d.jpeg

C448AD17-B369-4011-B04B-EE26504E6EF6.thumb.jpeg.a809e12ede7daf138e06ddf9d7d11984.jpeg

I also remember in Seaton there was a tat shop which for some reason had two cabs outside under an awning, Scramble and Centipede. That place was catnip for me!

Popped into Seaton today whilst on holiday.. Sadly all ticket machine crap 😭

IMG_20210919_114350.jpg

IMG_20210919_114601.jpg

Dunno if I mentioned it already but does anyone in Glasgow/Central belt remember the top floor of Debenhams on Argyll Street ghad a massive games section and Arcade? 

It's where I first seen Virtua Fighter and a host of brand new machines yet there isn't a single photo or piece of info mentioning it anywhere online. I often think about it and would love to see some pics. 

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yes, it’s a shame! They still have the same flooring at least. :blah:

I used to play Joust in there all the time, 10p a go.

Doesn't seem to be anywhere around where you can play anything which is a real shame for a seaside resort. Might ping Andy at arcade club and see what he has going spare 😂

On 07/09/2021 at 22:44, Popo said:

Booths is where I remember getting really into Initial D while at college. In my memory it was the last arcade game they had, and then it just disappeared one week. 

Last time I was in Glasgow I saw there was a barcade called Super Bario on (checks…) the corner of Trongate and King Street, so that’s quite nice. I didn’t get a chance to go in, but I’ll give it a try next time I visit. 

Four Quarters in Peckham is/was pretty cool, according to Google it’s survived the pandemic. 

Super Bario is very small, usually has Street Fighter Alpha 2/Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, Ridge Racer, House of the Dead, Monkey Ball (with banana joystick), a NeoGeo multi-game with Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug etc and some pinball. Expensive-ish draught beer but its a cool wee place and I'm glad it's there. Not that I've been since Covid.

Round the corner is R-Cade, which is more of a collection of retro consoles and games. You pay for a time slot rather than per machine iirc and they sell local gaming-themed craft items too. Plus a load of instant noodle pots they'll boil up for you, weirdly. Popped in once, didn't play anything but staff were nice.

I do remember Sega Saturn at the top floor of Argyle Street Debenhams; I played Panzer Dragoon for the first time there which was amazing to see as a wee snes kid. Don't remember other arcade games at all though. 

12 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Doesn't seem to be anywhere around where you can play anything which is a real shame for a seaside resort. Might ping Andy at arcade club and see what he has going spare 😂

I am guessing Seaton’s arcade glory days are long behind it, like most places I guess.

Did you walk along the Esplanade? It’s all run down, but Google maps seems to show they still have the awnings where I used to play Scramble, you can just see the blue ones to the far right of this pic:

8704900D-178E-4E6E-A195-D64AC56F355B.thumb.jpeg.55d728dab208b3947da5076e91d37213.jpeg

Country Gifts still going strong, I used to play the machines while my family were in there! This is like a hundred yards from where Pastimes is.

7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I am guessing Seaton’s arcade glory days are long behind it, like most places I guess.

Did you walk along the Esplanade? It’s all run down, but Google maps seems to show they still have the awnings where I used to play Scramble, you can just see the blue ones to the far right of this pic:

8704900D-178E-4E6E-A195-D64AC56F355B.thumb.jpeg.55d728dab208b3947da5076e91d37213.jpeg

Country Gifts still going strong, I used to play the machines while my family were in there! This is like a hundred yards from where Pastimes is.

Seaton seems to have turned a corner with some overdue redevelopment going on. 
There’s a nice big Tesco and housing estate behind the front, and the tramline is a big draw. 
Along the front there are some mixed use developments going up and other signs of life returning. 

That’s good to hear, it’s a lovely part of the world to live in. I love the beach at Seaton, although I always preferred it when it was raining, a pebble beach is always better when skies are grey.

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yeah we did see that and that area was pretty run down but like Alex says other areas seem to have been redeveloped and new builds such as tesco. Tram station looks great as well. Just needs a proper arcade now. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 17:46, shirubagan said:

I used to work at the Games Room in Epsom when it was on South Street after many years of hanging out like a ne'er-do-well in their mini-arcade/shop in the indoor market. They had some great games in there and then the café a few stalls over got Street Fighter II in and the place was crawling with kids. Then the Karate stall got Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja and WWF Superstars. And then some other amazing wrestling game which I cannot remember the name of.

Good times.

I also remember being mugged of my last 50p by some older kids in a small arcade in Sutton when I was 9 or 10. They used it to play Final Fight. Fuck you, Sutton.

The only good thing to come out of Sutton was that comedy show about a phone shop.

Do you know what happened to Games Room? Loved that shop. Used to go in there to play Mel Croucher games when they were based opposite Epsom station in the early 80’s too.

On 19/09/2021 at 15:35, Vespa Alex said:

Five years ago we went to Ryde on the Isle Of Wight and found a bunch of old cabs in one of the arcades. There was a very high chance that I’d used the same machines thirty years before. 

A6E57B4D-449D-4818-9F66-EDD2F4930AFD.jpeg

Bloody hell - we went to Ryde a couple of months ago but didn't see these! 

On 19/09/2021 at 15:45, Ry said:

Dunno if I mentioned it already but does anyone in Glasgow/Central belt remember the top floor of Debenhams on Argyll Street ghad a massive games section and Arcade? 

It's where I first seen Virtua Fighter and a host of brand new machines yet there isn't a single photo or piece of info mentioning it anywhere online. I often think about it and would love to see some pics. 

yeah! I first played Virtua Fighter here - I can’t really remember what else they had but I distinctly remember waiting for a shot of VF when it was new. 

35 minutes ago, wev said:

We've just had this place open up

https://www.rewind-entertainment-merchandise.com/

They've got a bunch of machines and you pay £9 for free play (for an hour and 45 minutes) on whatever they have (they plan on rotating them) including refurb cabs (though I think some might not be originals) and old consoles

that website. Ugh.