IGNORED

Panzer Dragoon I & II Remakes 2019

Revival

He didn't mention how well that one reviewed though (it did at least nearly double the low point he mentioned) ;) they'll be making them till the end of time anyway as people seem to buy them regardless of quality.

The general trend for what they are choosing to greenlight indicates they are doing what he said they would though, the most requested game by Japanese fans is getting a new sequel so he's ticking that box. And this is another one off the list.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Aaero is the recentish one I mentioned, but didn't do well.

aaero is brilliant, cross between rhythm action and on rails shooter. shame if it did't do too well.

i really liked the on rails parts of the kid icarus ds game too.

51 minutes ago, mushashi said:

He didn't mention how well that one reviewed though (it did at least nearly double the low point he mentioned) ;) they'll be making them till the end of time anyway as people seem to buy them regardless of quality.

The general trend for what they are choosing to greenlight indicates they are doing what he said they would though, the most requested game by Japanese fans is getting a new sequel so he's ticking that box. And this is another one off the list.

But it'll backfire if the development team aren't up to the task.

Streets of Rage 4 by the team that made the Wonderboy remake. Proven quality so - great.

Sonic Mania from a team that proved it's worth over years of Sonic ports - great.

Shenmue remaster given to D3T, not great but just a simple uprezzed port so whatever.

Panzer farmed out a remake (note: not a remaster), to a company I've never heard of, and not a single mention of anyone from ex-team Andromeda involved. Even Crimson Dragon got that bit right! Just seems really strange.

The PR says it is a joint effort so maybe they'll provide more details about the development closer to launch, as the PR from the Polish developer is fairly light on details.

Forever Entertainment together with SEGA Holding Co., Ltd. from Japan will co-create and publish Panzer Dragoon: Remake and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei: Remake. The premiere of the first part is planned before the end of 2019!

I think I'd be intrigued to play these two as I never did back when I owned a Saturn, but I did have the demo to Zwei I think it was which contained the first level and it felt pretty good at the time, quite like Starfox which was the only similar sort of game I'd played before of its type aside from things like Space Harrier on the ST. 

On 11/12/2018 at 09:43, MDY said:

Nice one - just checked and it’s on Spotify now!

I do like the dynamic on rails method used in Sega's Gunblade NY arcade, where you're in a helicopter that is always in motion, repeatedly making passes over targets as you strafe them (and they are pretty good at evading fire, leaping/rolling out of the way).. made it feel much less repetitive than seeing the exact same scenario every time..

On 11/12/2018 at 09:27, MW_Jimmy said:

The lack of Sega PR and the fact I have no clue who the developer is makes me very very concerned.

Yeah, the developers are the studio behind the recent Fear Effect, which has me rather concerned. I'm pretty sure the source code was lost for all three Saturn games, certainly Zewi and Azel. The mention of new gameplay features has me rather concerned as the gameplay was perfect and didn't need changing, even Orta newer mechanics didn't work that well.

I'm not expecting much to avoid disappointment.

Developers have to start somewhere though, you generally hope it isn't on a game you happen to give a shit about :P

Remakes and updates are always a tricky balancing act, you had some of the people who worked on the original doing the recent Burnout Paradise remaster and that wasn't unanimously received.

As the happiness equation states, low expectations=greater chance of happiness. :)

You'd definitely have problems attempting to sell many copies of the games in their original state today, for a series where visual spectacle is a big part of the appeal, very few new people would give it a chance without an awful lot of lipstick and fillers being used, even the Xbox sequel looks antiquated by modern visual standards and that was starting to creak when I played it many years ago.

I probably wouldn't set the bar at RE2Make though, that's just asking for disappointment on an epic scale. :P

God, the soundtrack to PDS really is wonderful and completely evocative of the game world. 

I confess to enjoying the world the games are set in much more than i enjoyed playing the first two on rails games. It was wonderfully designed and seemed to have the kind of depth you see in Star Wars or Blade Runner. Saga was much more my cup of tea because it really gave you an opportunity to explore that world more and revel in its unique aesthetic. 

25 minutes ago, Popo said:

God, the soundtrack to PDS really is wonderful and completely evocative of the game world. 

I confess to enjoying the world the games are set in much more than i enjoyed playing the first two on rails games. It was wonderfully designed and seemed to have the kind of depth you see in Star Wars or Blade Runner. 

Couldn’t agree more. As an outsider, it looked like the game was just one story from a bigger lore and I assumed there was all sorts of books, anime etc.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah what’s up with that thread title? We only got 1!

Zwei was slated for release last year, but since slipping has gone quiet. As far as anyone knows it’s still coming. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the psn version last week for 2 quid and finished it within an hour. It was excellent especially at the giveaway price. Oddly I could never beat the Saturn version back in the day but I battered this. Maybe it's easier or all that Orta training paid off.

Game has one of the all time great titles screens though. That music is amazing 

Ill be there day 1 for Zwei when it turns up. That forest level in the Saturn version is still impressive given the tech it's running on and the music's even better. 

We never heard any more about Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record either. I just googled and the latest is that the game's Twitter account got hacked and tweeted false claims about the passing of Watanabe. So that's going well. :unsure: