IGNORED

DUSK - Classic Shooter Perfection (Switch Version TBD)

drkbfhmmr

500px-Dusk_Logo.png?version=978412e5ffbb

Thought this game deserved its own thread since it's out of early access now on PC and is really quite excellent.  It's also coming to the Switch (no release date confirmed, but 'soon' apparently).

For those who don't know, DUSK is a 90's style first-person shooter, meaning no upgradeable weapons, no skill trees, no cut-scenes or dialogue, but rather an old-fashioned key hunt through a series of really well-designed levels filled with horrible monsters, big guns, health packs and power-ups. Combat is fast and brutal (play on the higher difficulties for even faster enemy/projectile movement) and the guns are satisfying to use - particular highlights so far (through most of episode 1 now) are the id-style super shotgun that tears through anything in seconds, and the crossbow that shoots bolts that pass through enemies and also has a kickback effect that can catapult you higher up when in midair. The levels often begin in fairly open outdoor areas that give you a bit of breathing room before things really kick off when you jump down e.g. a dark hole in the ground or a cellar, which is imho where the game really shines as you are forced to react, move and aim quickly when assaulted by a bunch of Quake-style chainsaw-wielding enemies and fireball-throwing cultists in really tight spaces.

The game's really atmospheric as well, of particular note is the excellent soundtrack.

Don't take my word for it, though, the game critics are loving it so far:

Destructoid 95/100:

That really explains DUSK well. This is shooter perfection and something fans of the classics need to experience. Maybe it doesn't redefine what is possible with video games, but it beats out basically every other shooter I've ever played. I know I'll be replaying this for years to come and I look forward to seeing what fans are capable of with mod tools.

Game Revolution 4.5/5:

Even while calling back to a previous era, Dusk adds on top of those legacies. This is retro first-person shooter perfection, the next evolution in a genre once frozen in time. Long may it reign once again.

Twinfinite 5/5:

If you want to relive the halcyon days of the FPS genre, a time when games strove to be unrealistic and challenging, you can't get any better than DUSK. Here's hoping for future episodes.

Gamingnexus 9/10:

Dusk has the backwoods setting of Blood and Redneck Rampage, the forbidding atmosphere and murky palette of Quake, the tight, sharp action of Doom, and the subtle sense of place and interactivity of Duke Nukem 3D. Essentially, Dusk is a retro shooter fan's dream come true.

Launch trailer:

• 2 weeks later...

I take back what I said! Got this from (Secret) Santa and I've been playing for about one and a half hours now but still haven't finished Episode 1 (just entered Ghost Town)! I was expecting a 4 hour game at best to be honest but I'm glad to see that's not the case. It's packed with content and I can't wait to go back to find all the secrets and finish it on the hardest difficulty setting. The movement mechanics and ease of control are sublime by the way. Probably the most satisfying bhops and crouchslides in the bizz right now. :D

It really is like a greatest hits of all of my favourite shooters of yesteryear: Quake, Doom, Heretic, Turok, Redneck Rampage, etc. They're all here and it's excellent!

Just finished ep 2, and it was imho even better than the first. Level design was a step up in terms of complexity and variety - I was particularly impressed how well the game does both the all-out action against swarms of foes as well as the quieter and slightly horror-like moments. I also feel it was visually more creative and striking in places, though perhaps the art style seemed less cohesive.

Onto ep 3 and was already forced to change my playstyle a bit in the first mission due to the introduction of a certain weapon.

And that's Episode 2 finished! Shades of Half-Life, Superhot, Devil Daggers, Kubrick, Star Wars even? Anyway it's such a fun ride and really takes me back to when FPS' just focused on basic mechanics while still keeping you engaged through level design alone. Every nook and cranny is worth exploring and they've done an amazing job bringing this formula back to life. 

Amid Evil and Ion Maiden certainly have a lot to live up to!

Just started playing this.  I'm a massive 90's shooter fan even though the whole Quake scene passed me by (console only guy) and I realised the brillance years after Doom 1 and 2 were released.  I love this game, feels really nice to play.  I assume morale works much like armour in Doom?

Played a bit of this today.  I assume you have to manually save as the devs are keeping it old skool? I ended up doing a couple of episodes again but didn't mind so much as it feels great to play and I love the satanic cult atmosphere similar to Doom. 

1 hour ago, simms said:

Played a bit of this today.  I assume you have to manually save as the devs are keeping it old skool? I ended up doing a couple of episodes again but didn't mind so much as it feels great to play and I love the satanic cult atmosphere similar to Doom. 

On Duskmare I'm quicksaving (F6) after almost every kill. :P

Finished the last episode now and it was the best of the lot - the game has improved greatly from one episode to the next, and during episode 3 the developers started to get really playful and threw some pretty crazy stuff in there for the player to deal with. If you compare the later episode 3 levels to the slightly more mundane (but still really good) episode 1 levels, there's a definite increase in "holy shit, what the fuck is happening" moments.

Brilliant game all around - along with DOOM (2016), my favourite FPS in recent years.

10 hours ago, simms said:

Console owners are in for a treat

https://www.dualshockers.com/dusk-new-blood-interactive-console-version/

New additions also:

New Game Plus option

Steam Workshop integration

Co-op multiplayer

Big Box Physical Collector’s Edition including a Dusk bacon-scented soap. :blink:

Steam workshop integration? On console? Has this been done before?

Currently the fastest time on Episode 1 (I think):

Despite how fast everything is I find speedruns of this game far more watchable than say watching a journo play it... what with their jittery fucking aim and sensitivity turned all the way up to 11. 

danbo was doing the "controversial gaming opinions" thing on twitter the other day and said

speedrunning is the lamest way to be good at a videogame

I know a lot of them do it for charidy and they get a lot of viewers and it obviously takes skill and dedication, and I couldn't do it, if I tried speedrunning dusk it'd just be a 10 hour video of me running around lost, crying for my mam, but I just don't see the appeal.

Watching somebody else playing a game is boring enough without having to watch them scurrying as fast as they can past all the gameplay, running diagonally, bouncing through ceilings and stuff.

Is it impressive? I don't know.

Having said that, he also said

roguelites are the answer to a question nobody asked (and mostly exist because level design is insanely hard work)

So he's cancelled as far as I'm concerned.

• 2 years later...

So this got released for switch last week and it's possessed me. I bought in after thoroughly loving the Quake re-release, and honestly, the only thing coming close to this for GOTY is Metroid Dread.   It's that good. I'm on Episode 2 (of 3) and currently, in 2021, it's better than Quake.  

Hell, It's made me abandon Deathloop - it's just in a different league.

Atmospheric, great guns, great feel, brilliant level design, a joy with twin-sticks+gyro. Locked 60fps. Perfectly gets that the time between shots with a shotgun has to be paced perfectly with enemies appearing, or acting. It has rhythm.

It's just absolutely brilliant, and a real reminder about what we have lost with CoD style single player campaigns.

I know we can dismiss games going for a certain retro-aesthetic, and I almost did. But, honestly, this needs to be on the top of your todo list.

Get

This

Played.