rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection

For anyone interested in seeing the lineup there's a full list here https://snk40th.com/

Picked this up on a whim as I love these sorts of collections, there's always a chance of finding an undiscovered gem.

And....well it's interesting so far. I've played a few of the arcade games in this collection and their NES counterparts. The main draw for me was Ikari Warriors since I'd heard they'd solved the issue with the lack of a rotary stick (they've essentially made it a twin stick setup with shooting and grenades being on the triggers.) Great fun, if a little too difficult. The NES version also included....the less said about that the better. If you really want to play 8 bit Ikari I'd seek out the Amstrad and C64 version. (PAL version for the C64, the NTSC version is awful.)

Athena is pretty awful in both its Arcade and NES versions. Psycho Soldier is of historic interest if only for the sampled song at the beginning but is too hard and too floaty to keep playing for more than ten minutes.

Anyone else pick this up? (If you have be sure to update it and pick up the free DLC for even more games.)

Yes I bought it. I’m not that keen on the selection of games (I’d say I genuinely enjoy around half of them), but the presentation around them is fantastic, which makes the package as a whole just about worthwhile for me. It was never really about the games themselves anyway, since I - and let’s face it, any one of us - could play them easily via any number of emulation solutions. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah the package for this has to be the standard the retro packs hold themselves upto now, amazing work from Cifaldi and Co. 

Some awful games here but I quite like Psycho Soldier, once you get into the rhythm of it it has its charms imo

Had never even heard of Prehistoric Isle before but keep coming back to it 

Yep, I've really dug this set - I liked that it's mostly games I've never played (and, in a good few cases, never heard of), and the actual museum aspect of it is fantastic. It puts to shame most other retro collections, with only really the Rare Replay collection outdoing it. I'd love to see more packages like this (even down to the doubling-down on earlier, more obscure titles).

Also, as with Wonderm, I found Prehistoric Isle to be a really pleasant surprise, a very enjoyable shooter from start to finish.

The strongest ones for me are the side-scrolling fighting games and the Ikari's. I can't get into Prehistoric Isle at all.  I do like horizontal shmups, but compared to my favourites like Air Zonk, R-Type and Coryoon it feels incredibly slow and cramped.

Hmm, I think this might tip me over the edge into buying a Switch. There’s some cracking games in that lot. 

I might be biased because it was one of the games in the local chippy, but prehistoric isle is excellent. 

48 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

I might be biased because it was one of the games in the local chippy, but prehistoric isle is excellent. 

That's 90% of the reason I'll take shitty Amstrad and Atari ST ports over some of their superior peers (and by this, I don't mean it's shitty, btw).

I'll give it some more play, but I'm not feeling it after a few attempts.

@Camel - this is a brand new Switch exclusive.  It's pre Neo Geo stuff.

Edit - very similar game list.

From a review on hardcoregaming101 -

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection is a compilation of games from SNK’s early history, before they were known for the Neo Geo and their wide assortment of fighting games. This isn’t the first time these types of games were compiled – SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 0 was released for the PSP in 2011, and while it didn’t make it out of Japan, the games collected there were broken up and sold cheaply on the PSN internationally as PSP Minis, allowing playing on the PS3, PSP, and Vita. The content on these collections are slightly different, as well as from different developers – SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 0 was from G2M2 (who did many of the PS2 Neo Geo compilations) while SNK 40th Anniversary Collection comes courtesy of Digital Eclipse, who also did Mega Man Legacy Collection and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection. SNK 40th Anniversary Collection is also much more fully featured, offering both arcade and NES ports (where available) as well as regional variations of both. There are other home ports, but are missing because they weren’t developed by SNK themselves (for example, the Game Boy Color port of Crystalis, the Genesis version of Street Smart, or the many computer ports of several of these titles).

• Upvote 2

A lot of the NES ports on here are dire, but don't miss Guerilla War. The NES port is much more enjoyable than the arcade game. It's a lot faster, a lot easier and presents an interesting challenge if you play trying to avoid killing prisoners.

• Upvote 1

As basic as it is I love the buggy car game that has arms and eats apples and throws it in the trash to not litter (for bonus points!) too. :lol:

• Upvote 1

How do arcade cabinets handle the issue of people with deep pockets? Do you just get unlimited freedom to throw money in (rendering the games very easy)?

I think if you're looking for a challenge with arcade games that continue on credit, you just have to set your own goals.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

How do arcade cabinets handle the issue of people with deep pockets? Do you just get unlimited freedom to throw money in (rendering the games very easy)?

I think if you're looking for a challenge with arcade games that continue on credit, you just have to set your own goals.

Depends on the game but just because you have lots of money doesn't mean you will still complete it.

• Upvote 1

Currently playing a lot of the early stuff and there's ambition there that just falls short due to balance and technology. Ozma Wars is notable for having unique enemy patterns playing like a beta combination version of Threshold, Moon Cresta and Galaxians on old Space Invaders kit.

Fantasy is incredibly weird with it's croaky sampled speech and it's one stick / no button play over multiple screens that ends with an actual end sequence.