IGNORED

Rat Arsed Gaming

Marlew

What are the best games to play when you're absolutely rat arsed?

What are the worst?

I will say fighting games for both. When you're playing against someone who's also pissed, they're absolutely fantastic, none of the frustration of bouncing off the sides of the track or falling off platforms or dodging a hailstorm of pink dots, only your pissed opponent can really stop you.

On the other hand, you can't execute any combos and your timing is shite and if you're actually playing against someone sober or even worse online, you might end up getting your telly in a suplex.

Does gaming go well with booze, like chocolate, cheese and cigars? Or does it mix more like simmering resentment and emotional instability? 

It always ends badly. Usually you think "I'll be alright at this!" with that classic drunken confidence before dying every 5 seconds in a shmup or crashing all the time in a racer. Either that or you end up playing through untold amounts of time of a narrative based game, come back to it next time and not have a single fucking clue what you played through, what you've missed, where you're at or why. Few sharpeners, tops! 

There’s a fine line. I started off playing titanfall drunk and found it was quite fun and I got some of my higher scores doing it. I stress that I’d be coming home from a night out, not that I’d get leathered specifically before firing up the Xbox.

But you can’t be too pissed otherwise it goes to shit. I put it down to after having a few beers you start taking higher risks. Go in all guns blazing and so forth.

Driving games don’t tend to go too well. I tried Smash Bros the other day after a night out and was shit.

I’ve never understood why so many people play online shooters stoned but it’s definitely a thing. Harder stimulants may have yielded limited positive results but it’s logistically an unlikely combination.

The only time I ever got a perfect result on the final mini-game in fab light gun game Point Blank back in the day was when I was stupidly drunk and fairly well off my bonce on Ketamine. I must have played that minigame hundreds of times, always missing by a few, but that one time it felt like time slowed to a crawl. 10.35 in the video below, to see the game in question.

I play whilst drunk quite a lot. There are a few games I'm genuinely pretty good at drunk. There are some I'm awful at, but still enjoy playing. And then there are the ones that I'm pretty good at most of the time, and then make absolutely ridiculous mistakes that trash significant progress. I try not to play story-based games that much when drunk, but I have occasionally fired up RDR2 and not known where the hell I was or how I got there (which feels like something a cowboy would probably experience quite a bit, tbh).

I'll start gaming with a few beers, lovely. Then a few more and once I get past my fourth bottle or third can I'll put down the controller and play Spotify for some music or if it's early enough grab my coat and go the pub. Like I say I enjoy the first few drinks and gaming but I hit a point were I want to do something else rather than play games. Saying that I was playing God of War until the early hours last week whilst consuming Scotch so fuck knows.

Winners don't do drugs, or drinks.

Oh, I'll just have half a bottle of wine to steady my nerves. There, now I'm playing better, less shaky, just half a joint to help me focus, and if I crush up that sleeping tablet and snort it off the back of your fag packet, that mightBANG, YOU'VE HIT A WALL! That's right, you were driving your car all along. Think on.

im better being drunk if I use a LMG, SMG or automatic rifle on battlefield & CoD, think I get killed more but definitely get more kills, I’m braver aswell, I’ll take the middle flags on my own, get shot up most of the time but at least I try...

Drunken gaming is pretty pointless for me, I just can't make it work. Luckily I rarely drink these days.

I do game a lot while stoned though. I find it very relaxing, especially games where you can really submerge yourself in the world. 

12 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Sea of Thieves is practically made for this. @Boothjan @Boozy The Clown

Your deterioration a few weeks ago was unreal.  You got more and more wasted as we dug up each chest.  It added to the authenticity.

I used to play drunk CoD quite a lot back in the day, but like playing darts - it made me better.  Pretty sure I got my best ever kill streak (about 35) when off my trolley on real ale. 

I used to have a few beers and play games while waiting for my mates to arrive so we could go out on a Saturday night - the best by far were Space Channel 5, Samba De Amigo and Guitar Freaks. Getting back in after the clubs absolutely shit-faced, I don't recall every playing anything. The room spinning and attempting to focus on a TV was never a good combination.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2 vs 2 online with a friend. Me and a mate actually went through to sunrise one night, drinking guinness and playing people across Europe.

No matter how drunk we got, we still managed to somehow keep winning. I think its because you really just need to stand in space and pass to each other, which gives a good margin for error.