Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

I feel like I can't ignore the word of mouth on this for much longer but I thought Bastion was awful and haven't played anything of theirs since, so that's putting me off a fair old bit. Are there any real simalarities?

Supergiant games do have a certain shared visual style I think so I'm finding my issues with their debut a little difficult to shake. 

9 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I feel like I can't ignore the word of mouth on this for much longer but I thought Bastion was awful and haven't played anything of theirs since, so that's putting me off a fair old bit. Are there any real simalarities?

Supergiant games do have a certain shared visual style I think so I'm finding my issues with their debut a little difficult to shake. 

I mean, I though Bastion was 'ok', awful seems a bit strong. 

I really loved their 2nd game, Transistor, which is like a mash up of isometric action rpg and Advance Wars / Xcom. 

Hades isn't really much like Bastion other than the viewpoint. It's theirs most refined action / combat yet, with a really interesting way of using the roguelike repetition to tell a story and stuff. 

Its pretty great. But hard to know how to convince you of it at this stage. Did you watch my guide, it should give you an idea of what it is and how it works. :)

@Jolly

The voiceover chatter is largely confined to the hub area and NPC encounters, but I do find that arch, wry Supergiant tone quite irritating. I tune it out at this point. Visually, I can't fault it from a mechanical perspective. It's much more readable than the likes of Diablo although it doesn't necessarily appeal to my sensibilities, either. 

I've played a bit more now, and while I think it's a very refined game which deserves the praise, every single element feels very familiar. The combat is polished, but I feel like I've seen it all before elsewhere. It's nowhere near as exciting and unpredictable or interesting as something like Isaac, it's more approaching Dead Cells tier.

The presentation and story stuff no doubt elevates it if you're interested and engage with it, but it does little for me. 

2 hours ago, Jolly said:

I thought Bastion was mediocre and I never played Transistor so I came to this with similar doubts and I’m really enjoying it. I might have to turn the voice volume to 0 though because the main character’s rubbish English accent is setting my teeth on edge. 

1 minute ago, Michael J Glocks said:

I thought Bastion was mediocre and I never played Transistor so I came to this with similar doubts and I’m really enjoying it. I might have to turn the voice volume to 0 though because the main character’s rubbish English accent is setting my teeth on edge. 

Easy on Mate.

I picked this up based on the enthusiasm offered here. It's bloody brilliant! I'm a convert. If you are sitting on the fence, don't, this is great videogame fun. 

Only wish it had co-op play ala Diablo. But that's a minor complaint.

39 minutes ago, S0L said:

I picked this up based on the enthusiasm offered here. It's bloody brilliant! I'm a convert. If you are sitting on the fence, don't, this is great videogame fun. 

Only wish it had co-op play ala Diablo. But that's a minor complaint.

This! It’s also a great game if you only have limited time to game. It’s almost purely brilliant gameplay and ideal for quick blasts when you have the chance. 

Yep it’s addictive. I finally managed to beat Meg, and like a few people in this thread I then went straight on and beat the next boss too, finally getting stopped by

Spoiler

the Minotaur.

I’ve definitely reached a point where it’s clicked. On that run I suddenly found myself dashing all over the place and using cast, which was why I was so much more successful. It’s not just that my stats and powers are improving (which they are of course), my understanding and skill are improving every run too. This is proper old fashioned gaming where you have to learn how to play and then get good, but you do that almost subliminally while you’re just having fun playing. Game of the year contender surely.

16 minutes ago, Bucky said:

QQ - it appears as if I need to keep selecting certain boons once obtained.  Can anyone explain why this is?  I'm playing on a Switch Lite and the text is super small.

I don't understand what you mean, exactly? 

Plus, clearing the game is kind of where the journey really begins.. Or so it seems, from what I've read. 

Nearly had last boss today, had an amazing bow build on the go. I've got a mirror talent that gives 20% chance of epic boons, and I hit the motherlode. Almost everything I found was epic! 

Had hangover on special, which was insane when used up close. 

Got two daedalus upgrades which made things interesting - one which improved normal attack damage at close range (and reduce overall distance arrows travelled) and another which removed power shot, but allowed me to just hold the button for rapid fire legolas style shooting (thanks for attack speed increase, Hermes!). Then got an amazing Artemis boon which increased damage by a chunk and had 20% crit chance. It was nuts. I kind of played it the same way I would with Malphons fists.  Those point blank arrows were doing close to a thousand damage sometimes! 

Had deflect on dodge (my absolute fave, that is), chain lightning on cast and zeus aid for the call.  Got a bunch of stuff that made my call charge automatically / loads faster and made me do 20% more damage for 15 secs after using it! It was MAD. 

Also got a sweet duo boon which mean my red cast gems would randomly lightning bolt enemies while waiting to be picked up (!?) it was awesome. 

Literally tore through everything. Area 3 boss, wish I'd recorded it. Decimated. Steamed it, right up until the last boss.  Then just did really really badly. So gutted. 

Soon! 

Number of escape attempts: 28

Forgot to check furthest chamber! It's last boss room tho :)

7 hours ago, robdood said:

I don't understand what you mean, exactly? 

Sorry.

On the Switch when I press the "-" option, I'm shown icons of my Boons.  By selecting one, a small round icon appears and these boons appear to the right of where they were, selected.  It's almost like I keep having to activate them between rooms.

3 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Sorry.

On the Switch when I press the "-" option, I'm shown icons of my Boons.  By selecting one, a small round icon appears and these boons appear to the right of where they were, selected.  It's almost like I keep having to activate them between rooms.

You don’t. That’s just for making the page if you win* look pretty.

* sort of

Had a great day on this yesterday, had several runs getting up to the final boss but not quite making it. Then I got a run where it started with me being offered my old faithful Tidal Dash boon, so I had to go for it again, and I fucking did it! :omg:

Had the fists equipped but I barely used them, was just dashes and my cast that did the job. Tidal Dash is ridiculous if you get stacked up on Boons related to it. 100% Sturdy after Dash, Reflect on Dash, +3 to Dash, Lightning on Dashes before being hit, Knockbacks sticking Rupture on mobs, being knocked into walls doing 300% damage etc. I'm worried this beautiful "build" will get nerfed in a future patch. :p

And oh boy, it seems beating the game the first time is just the start... Serious GOTY contender for me this.

8 hours ago, robdood said:

Got two daedalus upgrades which made things interesting - one which improved normal attack damage at close range (and reduce overall distance arrows travelled) and another which removed power shot, but allowed me to just hold the button for rapid fire legolas style shooting (thanks for attack speed increase, Hermes!). Then got an amazing Artemis boon which increased damage by a chunk and had 20% crit chance. It was nuts. I kind of played it the same way I would with Malphons fists.  Those point blank arrows were doing close to a thousand damage sometimes! 

The closest I ever got to beating the final boss was with the bow, Chill on special, and the extra Demetra boon that adds a damage blast every time you stack it 10 times. And - DS style - I got greedy.

I read an article by someone saying they beat it on run 39 and now I have inadvertently set myself a stupid target to do it by then. I know I'm not going to (am on 31 now) so it's just going to end in tears all round.

6 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I'm not paying much attention to the dialogue. Am I actually missing anything?

Depends how much you care about the world and characters. If that stuff is secondary to the gameplay for you, you're not missing out really. Could arguably make some parts of the later game a little weaker for you, but the gameplay is still gonna be the same.

2 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Depends how much you care about the world and characters. If that stuff is secondary to the gameplay for you, you're not missing out really. Could arguably make some parts of the later game a little weaker for you, but the gameplay is still gonna be the same.

Yeah I don't care, thanks for confirming!

Really liking the game for sure.