Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Yeah I've tried them I just had better luck with the starting weapon. 

My run against Meg was purely the build I had lucked out on during the run. 

Every time I did the AOE attack with the sword it did 200% damage, plus extended reach and a over time damage boost. Almost all enemies it wrecked in one hit so for the boss I just ran around spamming the button. 

Hehe nice! 

I do wonder if they've designed this game to be completeable in one run. I can imagine some seriously interesting challenge runs down the line.. 

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

The NoClip documentary shows someone finishing the game within a few hours of launch, though I think they found a bug. It was quite cool watching the developers watch someone complete the game over a twitch stream :)

I remember watching Double Fine watch a speed runner exploit the living shit out of Psychonauts. It was entertaining to see their bafflement.

I really like Supergiant, but I think they're at their best when there's a strong narrative behind their games, like Transistor and Bastion. I felt like Pyre was a misstep for them, with repetitive gameplay that felt very stretched out (interesting that the trailer mentions them as the creators of Bastion and Transistor and leaves out Pyre). I don't know if this is a result of their small team size - repetitive gameplay which they can tinker with enemy types/strengths/etc is probably easier to make.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, but I really don't like Roguelikes very much. I'll probably pick it up when it finally launches just to support SuperGiant and give it a go, but I don't do Early Access.

Also, something something Switch version.

I only really heard about this due to the commotion over at ReserEra about the Epic Games Store (which is certainly interesting, surprised nobody has mentioned anything about it over here really). Watched a bit of a video and thought the combat looked a bit...loose? That's probably not a good description at all, but it looked like it was all about suspect hit boxes because of the isometric viewpoint. Mind you, I hated Bastion (in which I hated the combat, which this looks too much like) and Transistor didn't grab me - clearly Supergiant's games aren't for me.

It might be one that is more interesting to watch than play (only because of the setting).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody playing this?

They are doing great great at sticking to their schedule - major update 3 released a few days ago and the game continues to mature. Still only two levels but the combat is slowly proving more opportunities with an increasing number of powers you can (randomly) find per run. More variety in each run, with challenges appearing and occasional story monologue by Hades are all helping to bring more polish and depth. 

The second world is definitely more fun than the first but I struggle to get there. I can reach the first boss every time but she keeps taking me out. 

The combat can feel flat at times though, as they add more powers the chances of getting a nice mixture during a run seems to decrease. It's also not always clear what the upgrades are doing. 

Only dipping in an out though. 25 runs so far and no completes. 

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hope people don't automatically write it off because it's a rogue-like. It's an awesome game with fantastic art and music. The world and character building is similarly brilliant. Plus you can pet Cerberus. That's got to be worth it alone.

As someone who has a strong tendency to write off rogue-likes, I won't be doing that with this, for a number of reasons. For a start, it's by Supergiant, who always make interesting and beautiful games. Then there's the fact that it isn't yet another pixel art game, and the story supposedly changes as you "progress," despite it restarting.

But most of all, the combat just looks incredible! It looks more like a character action game than anything else and with games like that, I'm always happy to sink time into them - the point is the satisfying combat, so everything restarting isn't such a big deal. I find a lot of rogue-likes have terrible or passable combat. Enter the Gungeon and Rogue Legacy both spring to mind as examples of that.

I'm still umming and ahhing about whether to buy it on the Epic Store, or to wait for a console version.

10 hours ago, robdood said:

Been beavering away at this the last week or so..  Hope it helps those incoming newbies

That was really informative, well structured and made everything much clearer, while patiently waiting for the Switch release. Cheers.

Do you know if much will be altered for the v1.0 launch or its mainly QoL improvements on what is already out on the PC release atm?

43 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

That was really informative, well structured and made everything much clearer, while patiently waiting for the Switch release. Cheers.

Do you know if much will be altered for the v1.0 launch or its mainly QoL improvements on what is already out on the PC release atm?

Hey - glad to hear it was of some use! :D

AFAIK there are no more major changes planned for release version - except for an actual ending! :lol:

15 hours ago, robdood said:

Hey - glad to hear it was of some use! :D

Great video (I learned a couple of things in spite of 10 hours playtime already) - like how you edited the game sequences, fitted with the voiceover very nicely.

3 hours ago, choddo said:

Great video (I learned a couple of things in spite of 10 hours playtime already) - like how you edited the game sequences, fitted with the voiceover very nicely.

Thanks! I do enjoy making them and getting all the footage just right!  

So how far through are those here who've played it? I've not finished it yet, I've managed to get to the Area 3 boss (which is ace on repeated tries) but no further. I wonder if I have another area after that, or if it's the Last boss? :O

48 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Out later today on Switch!

Well that’s a nice surprise! May well just take a punt on it, don’t mind showing Supergiant a bit more of my support. Plus I’ll play it way more on my Switch than I would sat at my PC. 

42 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Well that’s a nice surprise! May well just take a punt on it, don’t mind showing Supergiant a bit more of my support. Plus I’ll play it way more on my Switch than I would sat at my PC. 

I'll be double dipping, even if save transfer isn't ready. I'll support Supergiant till the end of forever.

• robdood changed the title to Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.