Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

5 hours ago, Delargey said:

Once you start building the boons it really helps.

I've completed it with all the weapons but don't no how to process with the characters - how to unlock the additional hearts. 

You just need to continue talking to them between each run and eventually you’ll unlock the possibility to gift them again.

28 minutes ago, robdood said:

Once you've done the 'locked' heart, it's ambrosia all the way!!

Cool. I'm one step away with Athena from the locked heart and haven't seen the gifting prompt to her come up for a couple of runs, so wanted to check. Thanks. :)

Just now, Delargey said:

Achilles is up to the locked heart but it still hasn't given me the option to unlock the heart. I talk to him every opportunity- do I just need to keep doing that?

I think you need to talk with his mate as well in order to progress his storyline.  I've not done it myself yet, but based on how I've seen other storylines progress, I think it involves more than one person :)

Oooooh man just had my most satisfying clear yet. 

I'd started a new save slot to research and record footage for my next guide, I was on my 6th run (fun fact: 6th run is the first you're offered a Call) and things just fell into place oh-so-amazingly. 

Started by being given Poseidon's call, which I've not really used much before tbh.  But oh man, it's probably now my favourite in the game.  A not long after starting Asphodel, I got an upgrade for it which extended the duration and sucked enemies in. It was unbelievably OP, especially once I took another Poseidon boon which increased the call meter charge rate when taking damage.  1 hit pretty much = 1 stock, so I could clear rooms so quick. 

This worked so well with the first hammer I got: Cursed slash for the sword, which limits health (to 30 initially) but gives +2 HP on each hit.  It was mad.  Combined with the second hammer (increased attack speed, no knockback) I was almost invincible, especially with Poseidon's call as back up. 

My other boons were mainly Aphrodite, but hit the jackpot once Artemis showed up - Epic Support Fire just completed things so perfectly, I was shitting out arrows at 100mph, and nothing really had a chance.  Dusted lastboss first time I reached him. Didn't even use a death defiance. Dead satisfying :D

End-game boon screen:

Spoiler

Hades_20.thumb.png.6c662062ee122d8b2350e05ee493295c.png

Lastboss vid:

Spoiler

40 runs in and I’ve only just started using calls myself, down to my misunderstanding of them really and just ignoring them when offered, but it’s yet another layer to explore. 

I’ve barely used the spear either but that’s a fantastic weapon, especially when you get the boon that makes your attack charge up impervious. 

This game :wub:

I'm getting to the last boss most runs now, I almost got his first phase down last time. Soon! I've found Artemis' Support Fire boon for the first time on my current run, it's awesome paired with the spinning Zeus shield. I can just chuck it into the crowd and let the arrows go to work.

On 09/10/2020 at 20:25, NickC said:

I've now escaped with each weapon. Wondering whether to call it a day now as that was *chef's kiss*.

So this never happened. Too much to upgrade and play with still. 

To anyone struggling a bit: Keep going. I really think it's worth it. You'll improve each run, and you'll get better boons the more you upgrade at the mirror and the more nectar you give each god. And when you beat the game once, it gets easier, at least for a while, because you are now upgrading your weapons alongside better boons.

This game is just so good.

The minotaur and the dude, they've killed me so many times. Worryingly I've never even felt close to killing them. My current runs going pretty well though and I've got the Zeus lightning bolt dash thing. That's got to work well against the minotaur right? This could be the one!

(edit : it wasn't, killed by a strongbow before I even got there :mad:)

I caved the other day and enabled God Mode, and now I can fairly consistently get to the minotaur and the dude as described above, although not yet past them. But now I'm starting to think I've made a huge mistake because I've now got to either keep using these increasingly powerful stabilisers, which will eventually make the game stupidly easy (you get +2% defence every run which stacks cumulatively, and I've done three God Mode runs so far) or remove them and go back to normal mode. I'm veering towards the latter I think.

I believe in you Darren, take those stabilisers off. :D

For Theseus and the Minotaur, the main thing that's helped me is taking my time with it. If your run isn't massively overpowered with damage it can be a long fight, and I tend to take the most damage by trying to end them too quickly. Also with Theseus, try and get him to throw the spear when you want him to. If he's walking about looking for you, let him see you so he goes to throw the spear and then find cover. It's much easier to manage when he's not throwing it from off screen. He takes a while to throw it, and then after he throws the spear he will always walk off for a bit with his back to you, presumably getting flashbacks to his time spent in the maze looking for the minotaur. This is a great time to get back stab damage on him and also apply any statuses like hangover etc. and get your cast in him to get the damage boost from that. If you don't see him throw it, get used to the sound effect when he chucks it, as again you can then know he'll be walking away for a bit and can be hit in the back.

You can try and rush him down as well, but his melee type attacks come out a lot faster than the spear throw and he will also block a lot of your attacks. You can keep dodging through him with dashes and hit him in the back if you want to, but I tend to try and safely whittle him down.

Also with the minotaur, I know most people will already know this, but when he's charging after you you want to try and make him run into a pillar to stun him. I actually didn't realise this for the first few fights against him and made life a lot harder for myself.

I didn't think I'd enjoy this game as I've never really gotten on with Supergiant's previous output, but curiosity got the better of me just before the weekend, and I'm glad it did, as I've been having a blast now that I'm in the early "endgame".

I think it took me about 20 runs to reach the end the first time, and figured I could manage it if I had the final use of Death Defiance, so spent an agonising 9 or so runs making it back to that point and failing every time, focusing on collecting Darkness over all else, feeling very stuck indeed. Possibly a mistake focusing so much on the Darkness, as I was lowering my chances on each run for the sake of permanent progression, which I'm not sure is ever worth doing. Similarly, I think picking boons/upgrades based on the fated prophecies list was also something of an unnecessary indulgence on my part. Though knowledge gathering is important, to be fair.

Anyway, on the first time I managed to clear a run, I'd already lost one use of Death Defiance before reaching the end, and didn't even use the third during the fight. Turns out I didn't need to grind for the extra power up, just a bit more knowledge about building my character and knowing each boss fight a bit better! Although tbh, I think the thing that made the biggest difference was...

Spoiler

Changing out Family Favour (+2.5% damage per boon from a different Olympian) for Privileged Status (deal 40% more damage on enemies inflicted with at least two status effects) and using the Myrmidon Bracer (30% damage reduction when facing enemy, 10% extra damage taken when hit from behind). With Privileged Status I started killing bosses in half the time, and losing half the health I was before, putting me in far better position to close out each run.

This strategy is so effective on low heat that I actually went on to get a 15 game win streak!

Anyway, I'm still clearing runs at 3-4 heat on each weapon at the mo, looking forward to unlocking more weapon aspects. (I love all the ones I've unlocked so much so far!)

15 minutes ago, JLM said:

For Theseus and the Minotaur, the main thing that's helped me is taking my time with it. If your run isn't massively overpowered with damage it can be a long fight, and I tend to take the most damage by trying to end them too quickly. Also with Theseus, try and get him to throw the spear when you want him to. If he's walking about looking for you, let him see you so he goes to throw the spear and then find cover. It's much easier to manage when he's not throwing it from off screen. He takes a while to throw it, and then after he throws the spear he will always walk off for a bit with his back to you, presumably getting flashbacks to his time spent in the maze looking for the minotaur. This is a great time to get back stab damage on him and also apply any statuses like hangover etc. and get your cast in him to get the damage boost from that. If you don't see him throw it, get used to the sound effect when he chucks it, as again you can then know he'll be walking away for a bit and can be hit in the back.

You can try and rush him down as well, but his melee type attacks come out a lot faster than the spear throw and he will also block a lot of your attacks. You can keep dodging through him with dashes and hit him in the back if you want to, but I tend to try and safely whittle him down.

Also with the minotaur, I know most people will already know this, but when he's charging after you you want to try and make him run into a pillar to stun him. I actually didn't realise this for the first few fights against him and made life a lot harder for myself.

For Theseus' spear, I'd just watch Zagreus, the huge pink cross hair is pretty reliable as a tell. 

And for Asterius' charge, the walls at the edge work well too, i.e. stand at a wall and dash through him as he approaches. 

22 minutes ago, imp said:

I didn't think I'd enjoy this game as I've never really gotten on with Supergiant's previous output, but curiosity got the better of me just before the weekend, and I'm glad it did, as I've been having a blast now that I'm in the early "endgame".

I think it took me about 20 runs to reach the end the first time, and figured I could manage it if I had the final use of Death Defiance, so spent an agonising 9 or so runs making it back to that point and failing every time, focusing on collecting Darkness over all else, feeling very stuck indeed. Possibly a mistake focusing so much on the Darkness, as I was lowering my chances on each run for the sake of permanent progression, which I'm not sure is ever worth doing. Similarly, I think picking boons/upgrades based on the fated prophecies list was also something of an unnecessary indulgence on my part. Though knowledge gathering is important, to be fair.

Anyway, on the first time I managed to clear a run, I'd already lost one use of Death Defiance before reaching the end, and didn't even use the third during the fight. Turns out I didn't need to grind for the extra power up, just a bit more knowledge about building my character and knowing each boss fight a bit better! Although tbh, I think the thing that made the biggest difference was...

Hide contents

Changing out Family Favour (+2.5% damage per boon from a different Olympian) for Privileged Status (deal 40% more damage on enemies inflicted with at least two status effects) and using the Myrmidon Bracer (30% damage reduction when facing enemy, 10% extra damage taken when hit from behind). With Privileged Status I started killing bosses in half the time, and losing half the health I was before, putting me in far better position to close out each run.

This strategy is so effective on low heat that I actually went on to get a 15 game win streak!

Anyway, I'm still clearing runs at 3-4 heat on each weapon at the mo, looking forward to unlocking more weapon aspects. (I love all the ones I've unlocked so much so far!)

Nice story, man!!  Privileged Status is a must imo.  So great. 

And man, some of the aspects are so fun.  Some are ridiculously OP - Demeter's Aspect on the fists, for example. Highly recommend!

7 hours ago, JLM said:

Well whaddya know... I took them off and I beat Theseus on my very next go. In fact I didn’t lose a single life on the entire way there, although I did get through two in that one battle. I still didn’t get all the way out though. I was killed by a poison spewing rat quite soon after. But I’m glad I got that far “properly.” Next time maybe!

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Any spear users care to share their strategy? I usually use the bow or the sword and Athena is always my first port of call.

Depends what boons / hammers you get to be honest!  Athena can be a bit of a crutch, be careful on relying on her too much. 

Generally, the spin attack fully charged is a beast, and really good for clearing rooms of small enemies, especially when they spawn close together.  You can dash while charging which makes you a short-lived spinning top of death which is nice.

I often find the throw a bit redundant, so end up usually chasing a debuff for it like Doom or Weak for it, something you don't need to do that often.  It can be useful sometimes as the recall will often deal back damage. 

The main attack is great though, the reach is insane. I just had a run where I got the hammer that removes the spin attack but increases the attack speed, combined with a Legendary Hangover it was doing pretty beastly damage over time.  Had a similar run another time but I took Poseidon's knockback on main attack, it was sooooo good. 

Basically, anything can be good.  Overall strategy is use the range of the main attack, use spin attack for big damage where possible, ignore the throw :D

Cheers @robdood I didn’t realise you could dash whilst charging :o game changer! I know what you mean about the special although I did get a boon which damaged more enemies in a row more heavily and when combined with speeding it up that was pretty cool - I tend to fire it, with a status effect like you said, then dash to another vantage point deflecting before calling it back - I’m sure there must be more  creative ways of using it though. 

Ha, conversely, my one and only playthrough with the spear was a successful escape where I only really used the throw. As you mention though, it was to do with hammers and boons. I got the upgrade that makes the special do 50% damage and then a 50% crit chance on recall, so the backstab criticals there did a stupid amount of damage. Combined that with Demeter chill on it, so it was doing 2 chill on each trip through the enemy, then a Hermes upgrade to speed up the throw. This meant that they were quickly on 40% movement speed and could be criticalled to death with minimal risk. It's a testament to the flexibility of the game that this one blessed run saw the weakest spear option end up being the run winner. :)

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Ha, conversely, my one and only playthrough with the spear was a successful escape where I only really used the throw. As you mention though, it was to do with hammers and boons. I got the upgrade that makes the special do 50% damage and then a 50% crit chance on recall, so the backstab criticals there did a stupid amount of damage. Combined that with Demeter chill on it, so it was doing 2 chill on each trip through the enemy, then a Hermes upgrade to speed up the throw. This meant that they were quickly on 40% movement speed and could be criticalled to death with minimal risk. It's a testament to the flexibility of the game that this one blessed run saw the weakest spear option end up being the run winner. :)

Yeah, same, I'm up to heat 5 with the spear and I'm a throw guy, not a charger. Even when I took the hammer skill that lets you pulse damage while charging, I think I only used it twice that run! The throw really comes into its own when using the aspect of Achilles though, which lets you teleport to the spear as well as calling it back to you, getting an up to 75% damage bonus for 8 seconds afterwards. You can really get the most out of it by putting a simple status effect like doom or weak on the special, inflicting it on first throw while having a stacking status like chill on the main attack and just hammering away at enemies as their HP melts due to backstabs and Privileged Status. This works doubly well with the hammer buff that turns your attack into a triple jab!

I didn't get on with the spear at all at first, but I think it's actually my second most successful weapon now (after the shield) as it's just so potent!

Finally got past the Theseus with a bow build, I think the Aspect of Chiron + an upgrade that gave me 4 (?) extra arrows for the special as well as unleashing a maximized Artemis Aid into him was key. Not sure how commonly I get such good bow boons though or how likely I can get past him next time without them.

Managed to make it to the 'sunny' outside though, so that was good. Obviously died once I got there, but still.

2 hours ago, Alask said:

Finally got past the Theseus with a bow build, I think the Aspect of Chiron + an upgrade that gave me 4 (?) extra arrows for the special as well as unleashing a maximized Artemis Aid into him was key. Not sure how commonly I get such good bow boons though or how likely I can get past him next time without them.

Managed to make it to the 'sunny' outside though, so that was good. Obviously died once I got there, but still.

That’s my favourite upgrade with that bow! Such ridiculous bursts of damage from far, far away!

I started a really, really stupid run this morning. I have the aspect of Eris, and the gimmick is that to power up you need to hit yourself with the gun’s special (the grenade lob). Just for the fated prophecy I decided to pick the hammer upgrade that makes your special a huge AoE that does 300% damage but also hurts you, thinking maybe that last part won’t happen as I need to hit myself, right? Wrong. So now either I need to take 7HP to activate my damage buff for 12 seconds or just use the weapon like the default aspect but without any upgrades. Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out later after I get some work done!