Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

I nearly beat Theseus a second time - overloaded with Zeus boons causing all kinds of electrical madness, which was great in the levels but fell a bit short against a single foe. Needed more brute force damage output. 

58 clears so far, streak of 32 as I've been increasing the heat. Just two more weapons to do on heat 9 and then I'll be trying 10 heat on all of them. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I'm actually finding the whole experience a bit grindy at the minute. There's not really much of a difference between 0-8 heat in terms of difficulty, and it's a bit silly that the game makes you grind them all out if you want all the rewards (and of course I do, it's the only way to unlock and upgrade all the weapon aspects!) For the point I'm at with the game, I'm not really seeing a lot of interesting boon interactions - it's not like Slay the Spire in that regard, all Hades has to offer is slightly different flavours of DPS, which I think is down to the fact that it's an action game at the core. Still, I'm hoping that it picks up once I add more heat, or at least once the streak is broken I'll be excited to start messing about with different weapon aspects and keepsakes instead of sticking to the reliables!

2 minutes ago, imp said:

58 clears so far, streak of 32 as I've been increasing the heat. Just two more weapons to do on heat 9 and then I'll be trying 10 heat on all of them. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I'm actually finding the whole experience a bit grindy at the minute. There's not really much of a difference between 0-8 heat in terms of difficulty, and it's a bit silly that the game makes you grind them all out if you want all the rewards (and of course I do, it's the only way to unlock and upgrade all the weapon aspects!) For the point I'm at with the game, I'm not really seeing a lot of interesting boon interactions - it's not like Slay the Spire in that regard, all Hades has to offer is slightly different flavours of DPS, which I think is down to the fact that it's an action game at the core. Still, I'm hoping that it picks up once I add more heat, or at least once the streak is broken I'll be excited to start messing about with different weapon aspects and keepsakes instead of sticking to the reliables!

Mate. Sounds like you've proper hammered it!! I'm not surprised it's feeling a bit grindy.  You should bite the bullet and push up to 20+ heat for lols. 

I'm thinking of doing a stream / walkthrough on Hell Mode, which from a short experiment seems to put you on 5 heat from a fresh save!  Seems like a nice challenge, see how many runs before I finish it on that mode. 

Yeah it's definitely not up there with Slay the Spire for depth, but I think it's all aspects of the experience taken as a whole that's so beguiling. I could stop now after one clear and feel I had a great time with it, as each run up to now has felt fresh.

6 minutes ago, spanx said:

I nearly beat Theseus a second time - overloaded with Zeus boons causing all kinds of electrical madness, which was great in the levels but fell a bit short against a single foe. Needed more brute force damage output. 

Yeah the main reason I don't like Zeus is he doesn't actually increased your base damage. 

Gah - I got to Hades with all death defiance intact, 5 dashes with Poseidon splash damage, freeze on the spear special (that now fired like a gun) and still fucked it up.

I can deal with the concentric rings, and even the lasers mostly. But those fucking green jar hands always seem to get me. I was unstoppable until those green jars.

While waiting for my new guide to upload / process, I thought I'd have a go at a 'speedrun'!  Got my fastest time, yet, pretty pleased :D (thought I'd clearly misremembered my run streak! hehe)

Hades_32.thumb.png.a46df8e3dcd00d934faeb669a7857407.png

Divine strike on Malphon is fucking insane, tbh. 

12 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Gah - I got to Hades with all death defiance intact, 5 dashes with Poseidon splash damage, freeze on the spear special (that now fired like a gun) and still fucked it up.

I can deal with the concentric rings, and even the lasers mostly. But those fucking green jar hands always seem to get me. I was unstoppable until those green jars.

I struggled with these a lot until I started destroying the ones at medium to long distance away with a ranged weapon as soon as possible, rather than trying to avoid them all. It clears your way when you inevitably have to leg it over to the other side of the arena. Then you can take care of those on the side you came from. I pretty much ignore Hades until I've got the green jars down to just a couple, as then they're relatively easy to avoid. Keeping track of the additional enemies and figuring out which ones to concentrate on is a big part of the battle here - during the times when Hades isn't the only thing on screen, I'm pretty much relying on my peripheral vision to avoid his attacks while taking care of business. I just use my cast and the occasional opportunity to hit Hades on the way to dealing with the other enemies at these points, as I find that concentrating on the additional threats prevents things from getting too overwhelming.

I finally got to the surface with the final Aspect of the spear last night. It was an interesting challenge - much, much harder than with the standard spear. It took me a number of goes because that 70% reduced health is a nightmare (I had to upgrade the Aspect to make the loss only 65%). It makes Death Defies so much less useful, and I found that in some rooms it was very hard (and slow) to get health back with the Aspect's spin attack. My final fight with Hades was good, though. It took a while, but I used the tips above to my advantage, and I had a nicely upgraded Festive Fog with 4 casts so just kept lobbing that at anything I needed to kill. I had no Death Defies left and very little health by the end, but I expected to lose going into the fight and so it felt like one of my early victories in terms of elation when I won it! 

10 hours ago, robdood said:

ITS LIVE YOU NERDS <3

Really appreciate you spending the time doing these. Like the beginner one you made, found this very informative and easy to understand with a great style of how you provide the detail which clearly reflects the passion you have for the game :)

Please I was doing at least one of the things you recommended already, I always choose the weapon which is glowing for the extra darkness, find it a good way of trying out the different style of them and mixing it up with each run.

I've only been able to get to the Asphodel area so far. The lava always seems to be my downfall. But slowly getting better at it and loving the game :)

Yeah, great video, thanks @robdood The most helpful takeaway for me is the calls. I tried one a couple of times, got confused and gave up on them.

If the gauge empties when you leave the room, it's worth using every encounter I guess. I could see that significantly increasing my chances!

1 minute ago, Number 28 said:

Yeah, great video, thanks @robdood The most helpful takeaway for me is the calls. I tried one a couple of times, got confused and gave up on them.

If the gauge empties when you leave the room, it's worth using every encounter I guess. I could see that significantly increasing my chances!

For ages I just thought the gauge was just flat out broken, as it always seemed to be empty!

I've subsequently loosened my focus that now I can notice the ignition / light up effect and make use of them as much as possible!

What confused me about calls was that the boons that give you them always have an explanation that includes something like "if you have such a boon," so I assumed this was a power up for something else that I didn't have, and so always declined them. Eventually I wondered why I kept being offered these apparently useless power-up boons but never the ones they were supposed to power up, took a chance on one and realised that by taking it, I now did have such a boon!

Now I always take them and use them as often as possible, although I usually try to wait for the full gauge version unless things are going very badly in a battle.

30 minutes ago, Darren said:

What confused me about calls was that the boons that give you them always have an explanation that includes something like "if you have such a boon," so I assumed this was a power up for something else that I didn't have, and so always declined them. Eventually I wondered why I kept being offered these apparently useless power-up boons but never the ones they were supposed to power up, took a chance on one and realised that by taking it, I now did have such a boon!

Now I always take them and use them as often as possible, although I usually try to wait for the full gauge version unless things are going very badly in a battle.

Yeah it's weird, reading it now I can understand what it means, but it's definitely confusing.  They should have just left out the bit in brackets!

image.png.cdeb379283a0b1a28ebc2bd03f1aa81b.png

52 minutes ago, Darren said:

I would say that some calls are better at full bar than others - Artemis can take half of Theseus’ health fully charged, for example, or you can avoid the final boss’ full beam attack if you have Poseidon’s call by being invincible for a really long time, but there are loads of support boons that trigger upon using a call, which means you’re better off using them as often as possible. Not to mention that sometimes by saving up a big call for a certain part of a fight you’re wasting meter as it no longer builds when it’s full. Sometimes it’s better to pop off a little call before it fills up even if you know you’re saving up for a big one to coincide with a certain event in a fight. 

I stopped playing this for a couple of weeks but i'm desparate to get going again now, had the soundtrack on repeat for the last few days.

I hope there's been a few clears since my last visit to the thread!

39 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

About calls. I never know if it’s better to accept the first decent-ish one that comes along or hold out for a rare or epic version.

I’ve ended up in the last few areas without a call because of this.

I'm not 100% on the Pom upgrade numbers, and can't seem to find them online, but here's an example using Artemis' call:

image.png.9cfbc8775e302145ccdc37a492a56758.png

I think - and I might be misremembering here - that if you spend a pom on this, it adds 50 damage.  So you're not losing out on much if you take common over rare/epic. A few poms on top of the default will make it nice and strong, still. 

Finally reached the last boss, and almost defeated his first form. Had a lovely set of boons based around Poseidon dash thingies and some good attack power for the sword. Smashed my way through the final level rooms without losing any life.

Got to be getting close to a first winning run now. 

Amazing final weapon aspect lore:

Spoiler

When unlocking the final spear form, Zag's all like: "Eh, who's [REDACTED]?" Just a lovely little nod to wider mythology.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

There are credits? :o

It seems I have some more work to do, which isn't a bad thing at all.

They are really worth working for!

28 minutes ago, Rayn said:

They are really worth working for!

Yeah I thought the credits sequence was delightful. Who'd have thought a Roguelite would have a world/characters/story that got me as invested as this. :)

Also

Spoiler

I had my most overpowered run up to that point on my tenth go, so although it was lovely from a story perspective that Hades let me go to Persephone, I was a little put out that I didn't get to whup his ass.

2 minutes ago, JLM said:

Yeah I thought the credits sequence was delightful. Who'd have thought a Roguelite would have a world/characters/story that got me as invested as this. :)

Also

Hide contents

I had my most overpowered run up to that point on my tenth go, so although it was lovely from a story perspective that Hades let me go to Persephone, I was a little put out that I didn't get to whup his ass.

Regarding your spoiler, the exact same thing happened to me :lol: :unsure:

Tried the hera bow aspect yesterday - one did one run but it might have been the most fun run I've had from 100 attempts! Paired it up with poseidon's cast and powered it up, got fast reload from hermes and it just got silly how powerful it was. Less so on Hades but still walked the whole thing and had a blast.