IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

I'm not interested in Greek mythology as a setting at all (in fact it was probably what put me off getting it at launch) plus the fact it is a roguelike and you really just want to power through the next run = not the sort of game I pick up for the story plus having to play in handheld with the sound off most of the time means I could only tell you who the characters were or what the plot was in the absolute vaguest possible terms even after ~50 runs and two victories.

But having watched that video I now feel like I have probably cheated myself out of something quite interesting. Oh well.

In terms of the game itself, I loved it enough to pick up those couple of victories, but I actually think the third area is such a dull grind I don't see myself continuing much beyond the 50 or so runs I've managed already. Doesn't quite have the one more go factor that I had with Slay the Spire.

On 20/11/2020 at 14:43, Meh said:

To be fair, the first time I lucked out on a boon that restored my health by 1 each second, so a lot of the fight was me running away while my health came back.

In terms of rogue-ish games, I'd put this on top of my previous favourite, Enter the Gungeon, which I'd put an obscene amount of hours into.

Funnily enough it was that boon that got me the closest to escaping yet, it helped a lot to defeat the zone 3 boss and then I died in the last phase of the final boss (even regenning health wasn't enough to help me there and I couldn't be arsed to run away for ages). I got that far again on the next run too though, I'm almost at 40 runs now.

I would say I've only gotten half decent at the combat in the last 10 runs, actually learning the attack patterns and dodging at the right times. Usually I'm a bit of a punching bag. Witches circle and Butterfly boss can sod off though, they always drain my health or extra lives even now I'm stronger. I feel like I probably need a bit more powering up to beat the last boss or a particularly strong build. I've been approaching the game with variety in mind so I've entered each run with a different weapon (using whichever one has the dark matter bonus), but although that's good for fun's sake, you could probably get better progression by sticking to one weapon and mastering it, plus spending all your goo on upgrading it.

I was very pleased that in the last few runs where I reached the end of the escape, i've gained access to new characters, mechanics and level variants which has really spiced up the game. I know the story is far from done as well and I've only touched the surface of the weapon upgrades so it seems there's still a lot to do and look forward to. I feel like Hades really hits its stride after maybe 20 runs, by which time you know the boons quite well, you've upgraded and unlocked quite a bit, and you are starting to make good progress in runs and able to plan strategically. It only gets better from there.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

That's honestly one of my main problems with the game. The level design just kind of sucks.

Still, I love almost everything else - except that big butterfly ball in Elysium.

Cunt.

I don’t really think the level design sucks as much as the game is really hamstrung by the fact that it uses an isometric perspective, thereby making spatial interactions much harder to judge correctly. Err, maybe that does mean that the design sucks? IDK! Whatever, it’s fun to melt things even if the game is flawed.

The story/world-building and the quest to go deep into all of the unlockables has been a big hook for me. I usually want my roguelike to be more no frills and straight back into the run, but this game does the procedural story telling stuff so well that it was unexpectedly my favourite thing about it.

On 22/11/2020 at 16:59, Meh said:

The isometric view is generally okay, but when enemies are up against walls where you can't see, they really should be made visible by making the wall see-through.

The “cure” pools in Styx too. I’ve died because the fucking thing was against a wall. 

Man, I just had a run with the Rama aspect of the bow. The charged shot already does a lot of damage with that one, but I had an Athena boon adding about 60%, a Chaos boon adding another 60 odd %, a hammer upgrade that does 150% damage at close range, and a hammer upgrade for a double shot. For a while I also had the Premium Cyclops Jerky adding whatever that does to your attack. A charged shot at close range was doing around 1000 damage, plus 30% on top if they'd already been hit with the special. Poor old Asterius went down in about 20 seconds.

Finally made it to stage 4!

Ended up putting all my boons into the fists uppercut - something I wouldn't normally use. Was doing +700 damage with a single punch. I normally spread out the upgrades across the Y, X, Cast etc, but makes me wonder if it's viable to plough everything into one Mega-attack.

Hades is a very good video game.

In an awkward sort of spot with this now, where I'm starting to think about actual builds rather than just making the best of what I'm offered, but not knowing how to successfully change tack when RNG doesn't give me the stuff I'm looking for. I seem to remember a similar thing happening with Slay The Spire, where I knew X number of winning strategies but didn't know what to do when said strategies didn't become available. 

Unlike StS, I'm not sure I'm enjoying the runs where it doesn't go to plan quite enough to keep plugging away at it. I'm not sure I'm actually learning much from those bad runs because I learned hours ago how to fight each enemy type, and I'm not getting much out of fighting them yet again with a frustrating build. 

Just midgame stuff I suppose. I think it's terrific and I'm glad to see Supergiant finally hit the big time because they're an incredibly talented bunch. I've had a wonderful 50 or so hours with it, but I don't think I'll be spending Spire levels of hours with it.

I just got the bow, and the volley-targets-last-shot bonus for novelty value, but then I got the bonus that gives you more than twice as many volley arrows, and then bonus after bonus on Special damage, and then to add to the carnage, the bonus that adds a boost to every shot that hits after the first. I was having so much fun it should be illegal.

And the game still put me in my place. I’ve crossed that handheld game threshold where I’m going to be playing a couple of hours of this a night until I run out of content. The last time that happened I 100%ed Peace Walker twice.

I loved Supergiant’s first two games but this is something else. It makes me want to revisit Pyre and figure out why I bounced off it.

2 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I killed Hades. Finally! On run 30-odd. With the rail gun - my least favourite of all weapons.

Congrats! I'm not a fan of the gun, either. It can be a beast when you get some good boons, but generally I find myself struggling once I hit Elysium.

I encountered my first glitch last night. I was in the House and Hades was there, but when I went into a room and came out, he was gone but still commenting when I petted Cerberus. Then I found him in 

Spoiler

the garden with Persephone

but it was just his top half as if he was at his desk. Then part way through a conversation he changed to standing up, then went back to desk mode at the end. The next time I went into a room and came out, he was back to normal, but Orpheus had vanished but was still singing. Very odd!

Finally escaped! Yay!

Spoiler

Took 46 attempts. Did it with the spear, aspect of Hades. Did him in with his own weapon. Take that, fuckface. I had Zeus lightning on the special, and then a load of other boons that strengthened it, basically. Pretty much relied on it for the whole run, to be honest. Wasn't pretty but definitely effective!

Now to start playing around with heat...

Really struggle against [Redacted].  Killed him the first time I faced him, I can reach him about 95% of the time now and then he kills me.  I think I've died to him on at least ten consecutive runs now.  Maybe I'm just old and shit but I really struggle to apply damage and avoid his adds, especially those exploding skulls which shoot green (really slow moving!) rings.  If I build for lighting rod or somewhere where I don't even have to worry about fighting him to do damage then it's fine but anything else and I just get destroyed, sometimes when he's on 5% health.  It's totally in my head now so every battle I just go in expecting to die.  

Yeah I've lost to him about 5 times now, although usually its in the next bit. My advice is focus on taking out the skulls before they detonate, and I usually try to get the most damage in just after he does his post-invisibility attack. Its towards the end when shit goes crazy that I really struggle with so many hazards onscreen and I don't seem to have the DPS to get him down fast enough. I'm about 40 runs in but I haven't been concentrating much on mirror upgrades, I only used keys to unlock stuff on it once. I usually save the extra life keepsake for the last area to give me an extra shot, or failing that I'll equip the damage reduction or take 'no extra damage after the first hit' keepsake.

One mirror upgrade I haven't been using is the extra life (once per run), instead I've been using the one that gives you an extra life per chamber. I know you can upgrade the first version to have multiple extra lives over the run, which I steered away from because I thought it would make the game too easy. But maybe that's the way forward to give me an edge in the final fight. The big question is whether I can get through the game without losing those extra lifes, I kind of doubt it because I often lose a life to the stage 3 mini bosses or the stage 3 boss. 

The best I've done against the final boss is with dash attack boons or other passive damage boons, so you can dash around avoiding attacks and still do damage to him. I also had one run where I got an insane legendary perk for the fists where your special makes you jump around like a madman, hard to control but also made it very hard for him to hit me. 

On 26/11/2020 at 11:34, Naysonymous said:

Really struggle against [Redacted].  Killed him the first time I faced him, I can reach him about 95% of the time now and then he kills me.  I think I've died to him on at least ten consecutive runs now.  Maybe I'm just old and shit but I really struggle to apply damage and avoid his adds, especially those exploding skulls which shoot green (really slow moving!) rings.  If I build for lighting rod or somewhere where I don't even have to worry about fighting him to do damage then it's fine but anything else and I just get destroyed, sometimes when he's on 5% health.  It's totally in my head now so every battle I just go in expecting to die.  

I think my characters were getting a bit tired of my interminable attempts - was on 72 attempts when I first met [redacted], and they were beginning to just roll their eyes and say 'Not escaped yet!?' when I triggered conversations.

Still not actually escaped fully, but that was just a couple of runs ago.

I see Alan and dug completing it in half the time and just feel old, man.

10 hours ago, smac said:

I see Alan and dug completing it in half the time and just feel old, man.

Please note - I've not actually done it yet! Honestly half the challenge is picking the right boons and also make sure you're getting all the suitable mirror upgrades you can. I also found that to get further early on, it was much better to have the mirror upgrade that gives you an extra life every encounter, rather than the one that gives you an extra life per run. Also I can heartily recommend the keepsake from the skelly which gives you an extra life - I always equip it for the last act or two to give me that extra survivability.

Funnily enough, I feel the same as you but about the people who have completed their first run in 20-25 runs. I blame me constantly weapon swapping but in reality its probably because I'm not that great at these kind of games. And I'm old too, haha!

I usually take the acorn - it's the final encounters that wipe me out, and it gives you five hits immunity. Although the keepsake that gives you 1.5s immunity after any damage also slows your attrition.

Boons that I've done well with include Dionysus' trippy shot, especially coupled with Hermes' Flurry cast; and the Lightning Rod Duo of Zeus and Artemis is ace, particularly if you can pick up a Chaos boon that stops you picking up your bloodstones from your cast.

I did a grind for the extra life per chamber as soon as I saw it, so I agree with you on that one.

I'd honestly recommend the spear to anyone still struggling. It has a nice range/power trade-off, and it can be absolutely devastating with the correct boons and modifications.

Death Defiance is definitely the way to go, by the way. It makes [redacted] so much easier.

14 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Please note - I've not actually done it yet!

Yeah, but I've only been outside once!

But it's clear the devs expect you to play for a while - those prophecies take time to come to fruition (just completed the one for

Spoiler

Nyx and Chaos

), which I felt obliged to prioritise.

Oh man, you must have been wrecking shit with that set up! I haven't unlocked any of the things that let you reroll the boons offered to you yet, so I'm limited to what I'm offered. Which means I haven't been able to make any builds as focused as that one yet. For now I'm just grinding for darkness and Titan's blood.