Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

18 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What’s the trick with the fishing, is it random or a set number of bites?

I’ve had six get away so far :(

The lure has to go all the way under the water.  You’ll get nibbles where it only half submerges and if you press the button then it gets away. 

On fishing... not too spoilery, but I'll hide anyway:

Spoiler

You get between 0 and 3 fake bobs before the bite.
Reel in too early, too late, or on a fake bob and the fish will get away.

The quicker you reel in, the higher chance of a rarer fish (better trade value).

The Hades Wiki is lays out the details [https://hades.gamepedia.com/Fishing]

It can be tricky telling the fake bobs from the real ones, but if you've had three fake bobs then you know the next one is real... so reel it!

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

What’s the trick with the fishing, is it random or a set number of bites?

I’ve had six get away so far :(

I'm pretty much at a 100% catch rate, but I ignore the lure bobbing entirely and wait for the white flash, then strike.

6 minutes ago, TheShend said:

I'm pretty much at a 100% catch rate, but I ignore the lure bobbing entirely and wait for the white flash, then strike.

I use an Xbox 360 controller on pc and fake bobs buzz on the left side of the controller, the real one always buzzes on the right side.

2 hours ago, RabMyself said:

I use an Xbox 360 controller on pc and fake bobs buzz on the left side of the controller, the real one always buzzes on the right side.

Similarly, if playing on switch joycons, you can put down the left joycon, as that's where the decoy buzzes go. The right one buzzes when the lure actually drops. There's also a white line that flashes on screen when this happens.

13 hours ago, TheShend said:

This is the trick, I’m getting perfect catches every time now.

Yeah thanks for the fishing plop noise tip, I nailed every fish last night thanks to that.

Failed three times again against Redacted. It's getting embarrassing now.

First time around I had a great sword build but ruined it at the end by taking that legendary boon that makes you jump around like a madman, it made it way too hard to control as my build relied on comboing attack, dash and special.

Second time I had a cool machine gun build but it did low dps. I found a new boon which upgrades your special to a massive 5 missile spread mortar attack. Very handy but visually it was an absolute clusterfuck for Redacted, I couldn't even see my character half the time with all the targeting circles and explosions combined with all his attacks.

Third time I had the shield but decided to upgrade my overall lives to 2 and try that, but then accidentally had skellies keepsake on in area 1, wasting a life. Lost both of the others in Elysium. I had the aspect where you chuck the shield and it spins in an AOE attack, and focused my strategy around beefing that up. It kind of worked but in open areas I couldn't do the dps fast enough because repositioning the shield is too slow.

It's pretty demoralising to get so close every time but always fail at the final hurdle, I just don't have the skill or wherewithal late at night to cope with everything flung at you in the second phase. On the other hand even with marginal upgrading I'm getting runs done much faster, about half an hour per run compared to 40-50 minutes previously. I guess its testament to the games variety and fun that I keep going back, the fun is in the journey and trying new builds. I don't want to upgrade much more and end up grinding/cheesing him, Id rather do it with a good build and actual skill. One day soon I hope, 42 runs and counting...

If you have a certain God's keepsake equipped then you'll see their boons.  With that in mind there are Tier 1 and Tier 2 boons, tier 1 generally buff your basic abilities (attack, special, dash, cast) and this is where you're seeing Demeter's Crystal Beam, it's her cast boon.  Tier 2 will generally modify or add a bonus to other boons,  such as adding a chill AOE to your cast or causing an explosion if you stack chill ten times. Beyond that there are Legendary and Duo boons which will require you to have already taken certain combos of boons.  You can see all this stuff in game if you navigate to the menu which has all the lore about Olympian Gods.  I'm not sure about how choosing one God affects others appearing, you are definitely more likely to see a God again if you've selected them earlier in the run and if you choose them at the end of an encounter with multiple exits.  Hermes appears to be independent of all other Gods and it seems to me that you'll only ever see four or five of the eight "normal" Gods on a given run.   

I've now reached the point where I'm semi regularly escaping, did it with the Fists just now which was my least used weapon.  Thought I'd put deflect on attack so I can block a lot of incoming damage just by hitting the attack button (it works!) and I ended up getting the Duo boon with Ares which explodes his Doom every time I use an ability which can deflect so I was applying Doom with the special then exploding it instantly with attack or dash and then applying it again. The damage was very very good, I'd recommend it to anybody to try.  The fists had been my least used weapon up until this point and the only one I've not upgraded to a new aspect with Titan's Blood.  I'll just ask the room what the feeling about the best fists aspects are. 

I go for just the basic fists and combine it with the single dodge ability from the mirror. Then the whole run involves holding down the attack button and pressing dodge at the end of the combo or when an enemy attacks.

Yeah, dodging through enemies while pummelling them means I rarely use the fists' special. There's an attack range extender upgrade/boon which I found really useful the fists; and often pick Artemis' basic 'buff and add critical chance to Attack' boon. The attack rate is so high you get a lot of chances of doing critical chances in. Same goes for the rail.

I have only two items upgraded to alternate aspects; shield and spear. I need more Titan's blood.

What's the best way to get more once you've beaten you-know-who with each weapon? Grind nectar and trade? Save cash for the 

Spoiler

Big shop at the very end?

Check the prophecies lists, there's a couple that give you a decent number of titan blood. The one for escaping with all the different punishment things is pretty easy. You don't need to do them all at once or anything and the difficult ones you can do on their own or with a couple of easy ones.

Rolled the credits on this last night after 76 runs I think it was.

I have never gotten on with "rouge" style games but this was done so well that I never got that frustration I would usually get.

I did start to find it a bit samey for the last few runs personally, I was just wanting to see the how the story went at that point.

I know there is more to do after that credit roll but not sure that I will bother.

So, I've bought this on switch, the art is incredible, but it's pretty muddy looking on the big screen. Only played an hour or so.

Is it 4k on xbox series x or PS5? I'm tempted to double dip,if so...

(Fiscally reckless, I know - but this is right up my street)

Finally beat the final boss. Ending was lovely.

I was getting frustrated so I took some time to think about how I was going to beat it and take out some of the random aspects. In the end I planned it like this -

1) Deflect is a must for me, so I made sure the Athena boon was the first and got it on my dash.

2) I wanted to be able to 'select' some boons, so I levelled up the 'replace' trait to the maximum.

3) Picked the bow and first hammer upgrade made it autofire

4) My preferred boons tended to be defensive (chill, weak etc) so figured I needed to do more damage. First boon choice I swapped for doom damage on the arrows

5) Ignored cast and special and piled everything into damage output on the arrows - doom, critical etc

6) Final problem was how to avoid the beams of a certain final boss. Decided to get a god gauge skill to become invincible. Went for Ares blade and auto fill god gauge.

7) Was pretty much standing back and shooting everything with arrows. Didn't put anything into cast. Always chose the Pomegranate option

8) Only slight problem was third boss where I didn't have anything to just chuck into the middle. So I ran round the edge filling my god gauge. Took ages but was never in doubt.

9) Did final boss using arrow and blade rift. Had 2 death defiances left once done.

So yeah I did it. What a game. Not sure I have the willpower to keep going but enjoyed everything about it. Hope it wins GOTY.

9 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

So, I've bought this on switch, the art is incredible, but it's pretty muddy looking on the big screen. Only played an hour or so.

Is it 4k on xbox series x or PS5? I'm tempted to double dip,if so...

(Fiscally reckless, I know - but this is right up my street)

It's not out on anything but Switch and PC at the moment.

11 hours ago, memories said:

Rolled the credits on this last night after 76 runs I think it was.

I have never gotten on with "rouge" style games but this was done so well that I never got that frustration I would usually get.

I did start to find it a bit samey for the last few runs personally, I was just wanting to see the how the story went at that point.

I know there is more to do after that credit roll but not sure that I will bother.

Spoiler

You're like half-way through the story.

Was literally one hit away from escaping without using a Death Defiance. Rail + Zeus attack, Aphrodite special & Dionysus cast.  Not adding anything new here, but the "one more go" factor of this game, even when you're clearing the game is amazing.  I've still not made it out with the spear, I've had about 110 runs now and I think I've only used the spear 7 times. Probably should start focusing on it, and the fact that I'm completely happy to do so is why Hades is definitely my GotY for 2020.