Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

Sort of? Only, single-player obviously, and with some fun writing thrown into the mix. Crowd-control focussed combat, through dungeons.

But yeah, finally got around to playing this, two goes so far - enough to get to Meg and barely get her to half health before getting taken apart :lol: I'm having a great time, glad the Switch release reminded me that it exists!

Also, as someone who isn't a fan of Diablo, I'd say that's not necessarily the best comparison. There are similarities, but only in the sense that they both draw on Rogue for inspiration, and are both dungeon crawlers. Where Diablo is all about mindless combat with incremental loot upgrades; Hades is very much an isometric brawler with slow-burn levelling. I mean, so far. Again, two playthroughs in, and only to the first boss, my perspective is limited.

It's also definitely not hard in the way something like Dark Souls is: that's a game of trial and error, of gradual progress through a carefully designed map, learning the nooks and crannies of the levels and how to get through each situation, one by one. And, if you're me, of getting bored of all the above. This is a game of frenetic combat, with randomised powers and level structure giving it a traditionally rogue-like in structure, and meaning it's a case of learning enemies, not levels.

Made it to the first boss three times now but my usual panic in the face of bosses has set in. But I m getting stronger 

The combat in this is gloriously visceral, every hit you made just feels right. I was very on the fence about this given my general dislike of roguelike/lite games, but I’m falling for this one. 

3 hours ago, Marlew said:

Combat does feel very good, but again, extremely familiar. I suppose I don't really buzz off ARPGs that much, which is probably the most significant factor here. Obviously a very very good game, though.

Just wait until you've unlocked more weapons and weapon aspects - there are a few that really change your approach, combined with the various boons. You can create some really fun builds. 

Well, third playthrough of the game now, and I've one major criticism: the telling of the story through your deaths and returns is nice... but less great when you miss bits of plot because you don't die as quickly as the game expects. I've missed out entirely on all commentary on

the Elysian fields

(area 3) because I got through it on my first attempt (before dying in seconds in area 4 to a horde of poison rats in a narrow space. Not quite sure how to deal with that situation!).

Hopefully I didn't miss anything important, but it's a shame not to get to hear anybody talk about that area, or

the Hydra, Minotaur or Theseus

(the bosses of that and the previous area), just because I did the game the disservice of not dying to any of them :/

The gameplay's great fun, the fast-paced combat right up my alley, but I'm a little sad the game doesn't really have any way to account for that occurring.

Also, on a related note, it would be nice to save and quit mid-run. I hadn't planned on going to be quite so late!

7 hours ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

How is this in handheld mode on the Switch? I have the PC version already, but this one of those games where it feels like it would be an insult to the developer if I didn't buy it twice. 

It’s fine. I’ve only played it handheld so far. Some of the text is bloody tiny though.

Only played about an hour on Switch but I absolutely love this. It's such a joy to buy something basically blind on a whim (I heard "roguelike", Supergiant and was aware early scores were 90+ but that was it) and have it live up to them. 

And it's utterly gorgeous. I know their games are anyway but this is something else.

You guys were bang on about this, it's really great! I can see myself sticking a bunch of time into it. I like how the game dripfeeds you information in terms of story and what all the various symbols mean, and you quickly begin to realise that you can customise your runs based on the branching paths - do you go for long term gains by looking for keys and the dark purple things, or concentrate on health, God powers and coin to maximise the potential rewards of a really good run? I've only played for 90 minutes or so but the gameplay loop is already super-compelling and the combat satisfying. Runs very nicely on the Switch, too.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Ah, that's a relief!

Admittedly, it's pretty hard for me to now die in Tartutrus (though I've not finished the game, and imagine that I'll start dying again once I have done so). Think I'm only missing the occasional line from Hypnos though. The through storylines don't rely on where you finished your run.

This is tremendous, played for 3 hours straight. Total crack!

Did the first level after 7 or 8 attempts, then stormed through level 2 without dying and was finally defeated by the level 3 boss. Cursed blade seems a bit good though, after you get some heath boosts anyway.

Haven’t beaten the first boss yet but edging closer with each attempt. I assume patience is the key here, keep dodging and just get your hits in when you can?

Annoying, had a nice build going in the last run and had the boss on the ropes, then fucked it

Just now, spanx said:

Haven’t beaten the first boss yet but edging closer with each attempt. I assume patience is the key here, keep dodging and just get your hits in when you can?

Annoying, had a nice build going in the last run and had the boss on the ropes, then fucked it

She has a definite pattern, use your dash and get in and out.

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

depends on your build. But also use the mirror in your bedchamber.