Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

I can't remember when I first escaped - mid 20s-30s, I think.

Don't sweat it, I think powers open up in a way that makes the seemingly unobtainable become typical.

I just did my first run without taking any damage in the final battle (though not the Extreme Measures version). I've played 90-odd times. No special badge for that, unfortunately :)

Yes, I am enjoying the collect-em-up aspects of the game as well as the push to get out. I’ve gone from thinking ‘why would you use anything but the Skelly tooth?’ to not needing it until the third level, so I expect more improvements.

I love the way prince nobchops starts ripping the piss out of the end of level bosses you’ve nixed frequently before a battle.

Yeah I wouldn't worry, I'm on 42 runs and still not quite made it yet. A lot of it comes down to what combo of boons etc you go for and your build. I've been experimenting a lot and trying out all the weapons equally and even with the lack of focus I've been getting closer and closer each time. And of course sometimes you just get super lucky with what boons are available, I nearly escaped based on just one boon a few runs ago.

I was 60+ runs in before my first escape then I probably did another 30 before getting out again. I get to Hades 90% of the time and have started beating him semi regularly.  I think “getting” the synergies in the Boon system is the key, some combinations are very powerful. I just out with a Poseidon dash build with Zeus lightning strikes hitting on knockbacks and it’s the most overpowered I’ve felt yet. Recommended if you’re struggling.   

The Bow's Hera Aspect makes the game hilariously easy, I've found. Get a bit of a speed boost from Hermes, the double-shot upgrade, and the close-quarters damage upgrade, and you're laughing hysterically all the way to the end.

Also just the simple Zagreus sword aspect is fierce combined with quicker attacks and the perk that halves your health but gives you +2 for each attack. Literally un-killable.

I'm a few runs into this and enjoying it a lot, even if it is bloody hard to keep track of what's going on a lot of the time, and that's playing on a 55" screen! I didn't get on with either Bastion or Transistor, so I'm hoping I'll like this more.

When you look at your boons and press A to highlight them, what does that mean? Are they only turned on of you do that, or is it so you can select which boon you have activated if you have more than one?

As far as I can tell, the highlighted ones are the ones that show up on your run completion screen. It doesn't show all of the boons, so if you want a screenshot of the highlights of your build you can pick the ones you want displayed. I *think* that's what it's for.

Boons stack, though, don't they, even if they're different types? So I can have Festive Fog on my cast but then also have a second cast-related boon that provides another effect, for example. Is that right? Presumably, this is how you can get to the point where, with the right combination of boons, you can obliterate everything.

Reached a point where I can escape 80% of the time and suddenly there was an unexpected moment where Hades

Spoiler

Let me escape without fighting him! 

This led to being able to run around in the cottage garden and super cool 

Spoiler

BOAT RIDE WITH CHARON AND PERSEPHONE! 

Spoiler

(there’s no point to this final spoiler box  I just like stacking them)

I still feel the urge to keep playing just to unlock the rest of the stuff I’ve missed. GotY 2020. 

16 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Reached a point where I can escape 80% of the time and suddenly there was an unexpected moment where Hades

I still feel the urge to keep playing just to unlock the rest of the stuff I’ve missed. GotY 2020. 

I've done well over 100 runs. Escape almost 40 times (had a streak of 13 in a row) and I still keep coming back and there always seems to be new banter.

Definite GOTY and the reason why demolishing my pile of shame has ground to a halt.

Also this is why I find that achievements can be a bonus in a game I love as it gives me an excuse to explore different playing styles,

Got a clear after 51 runs, and then did it again three runs later.   Spear then rail gun.  I’d say it’s a smidge too hard as I’ve reached the final battle loads of times, only to die to some bullshit.

Those last few stages with poison and no shops that stock death defiance renewals are terrifying.  If you have <200 money, it seems guaranteed the death defiance item will appear, but 200+ and no sign of the bugger!

18 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Reveal hidden contents

Let me escape without fighting him! 

This led to being able to run around in the cottage garden and super cool 

Reveal hidden contents

BOAT RIDE WITH CHARON AND PERSEPHONE! 

Reveal hidden contents

(there’s no point to this final spoiler box  I just like stacking them)

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Got to the point where the credits roll yesterday . Something like 120 runs. Utterly magnificent game . I’ll carry on with it  cos I want to unlock everything I can 

There's still a bunch of story to get through once you've seen the credits!

Spoiler

Your mum has PLANS, man. 

1 hour ago, Stoikovich said:

Those last few stages with poison and no shops that stock death defiance renewals are terrifying.  If you have <200 money, it seems guaranteed the death defiance item will appear, but 200+ and no sign of the bugger!

A good tactic if you're desperate is to take / buy Athena if you see her during the last stage, her boons that do things 'after death defiance' also refill one charge :)

Been wanting to play this for ages but we’re finally at the point where we can put our three month old daughter down in an evening and I can get some proper Switch time in, other than the odd quick go on Tetris99. 

What an incredible game. About 12 runs in so far and managed to beat Meg on my current run. Have left it saved at the start of the next floor. Loving the shield at the moment but will have enough keys when I die to get the spear. 

Got to the end of the third area on my seventh or eighth run yesterday, then the pair of pricks who serve as that section's boss made short work of me. Serious Ornstein and Smough vibes from those two. It was going well until then, however, using the shield with lots of boons focusing on my special, electrifying my shield and making it ricochet off of enemies. Once you've played with some boons enabled for a good while, then you die and start again, it's easy to forget that you don't have them enabled anymore.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this a lot! Shame it's not on Xbox.

Is anyone able to comment on the PC/Switch cross-saving? Does it Just Work? Presumably there's some sort of login process so the game can download your progress? I've got the PC version but am tempted by the Switch version for bed/bog Hades, especially now it's on sale.