IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

I just started playing this after buying it for £25 on Amazon. I thought it looked a bit shit but this thread convinced me to try it. Holy shit am I not disappointed. It’s bloody superb. Only played a few hours so far but I’m hooked.

I have now escaped 9 times (best streak being 3 - go me!) and can't stop playing because the story is so compelling, and there are so many relationships to work on.  This game definitely improves the more you play it.  As if I thought the first escape was the end :lol:

Even after about 60 hours, the fresh dialogue is STILL appearing constantly.  There's a mind boggling amount of superbly delivered lines across the board.

This game really is an absolute masterpiece - one of the best games of the generation.  I never expected to be so engaged with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed my first escape after 39 runs, although even then it wasn't much of a focussed strategy. It was only really due to the boon that regens health after a stubborn defiance and the sped up dash so that I would literally run circles around enemies until I was safe enough to attack again.

The gameplay is excellent but for me what it gets almost perfect is the balance, something so many games, even great games, fail at. Your gradual improvement over the course of many runs is so subtle you don't always notice it, but it's definitely there. And the way they mix up the earlier levels so as not to make them too stale is really clever.

Best game i've played since BotW came out I think (although it's a close tie with the somewhat nostalgia driven SoR4).

I'm shit at this. Truly shit. I'm at max God mode (80% damage reduction), and still can't get to the third boss. :lol:

But to be honest I don't think that much of it anyway. I thought perhaps I hated roguelites, but I love Returnal, so it ain't that.

10 hours ago, AlexM said:

I'm only 9 runs in, but this game has revitalised the Switch for me - brilliantly put together, so slick and enjoyable. 

I will get you Meg. 

You will. In more ways than one, if you play it long enough...

Bought this a while ago and have been waiting for the right time to start playing. Currently up to the third boss after about 15 runs, haven't quite managed to get it done yet but my word it's good.

Only thing I'm confused by at the moment is why people say the Rail is the best weapon. It seems really underpowered to me. That said I've only used it once and the normal attack was almost useless.

Spoiler

I can't get rid of this on mobile oh no

Rail definitely comes into its own with a few boons, interesting style of play. 

So I've done 27 (!) escape attempts now, am reliably making it to the third boss and have made it to what I assume is the final boss once. Getting much better at being able to determine what boons I want to build around and what works well together though haven't had anything that's completely busted just yet.

It's so good! I expected it to be really good but the hype feels like it's completely justified.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Hades coming to Game Pass in August!!

Will I be starting a brand new game on my series x?

You betcha. 

It’s a no brainer - it’s great on Switch but it should look wonderful on Series X. 

On 04/06/2021 at 22:35, strawdonkey said:

Rail definitely comes into its own with a few boons, interesting style of play. 

So I've done 27 (!) escape attempts now, am reliably making it to the third boss and have made it to what I assume is the final boss once. Getting much better at being able to determine what boons I want to build around and what works well together though haven't had anything that's completely busted just yet.

It's so good! I expected it to be really good but the hype feels like it's completely justified.

27?

186 and no escape. I have, however, now completed every prophecy, bar the main one; collected every boon, every duo boon, every Legendary boon, every Aspect of every weapon. I'm waiting for two prophecies related to Hidden Aspects to turn up - those need a character to tell you of the associated legend before the Aspect can be activated.

Maxed out the majority of relationships, but still a few to go.

1 hour ago, Welrain said:

Are you actively avoiding an escape?  You do realise the first escape is the start of something, not the end.

I wondered if there's some deep psychological process going on, here. I pretty much get to the top level most runs, especially with some of the hidden aspects.

For a while I was certainly chasing prophecies to release various people from their restrictions.

I think I'm a little too impatient with the last fight, and just try to take the big boss out too soon.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

What are the chances between cross-save on the PC and Xbox version? There's currently Switch and PC cross-save, so I'm hopeful.

It'll almost definitely exist between the Windows Store and Xbox versions, but I can't think of a single game that's managed to pull saves between the Epic Game Store and Windows Store versions of something, so I'm not hopeful that it'll bring in existing PC saves.

I've only escaped once so far but the time I did I happened to get boons that made me in a massive blast damage dodge monster. Weirdly, it was with the bow, which until that run I would have said was the weapon I was weakest with. That and all the death defiances charged up meant you can probably cheese the final boss to some extent.

I think my problem had been getting wrecked in the arena style rooms of the final level - but when you can dodge 5 times and every time you leave a blade rift behind you (add in random explosion effects) then for those rooms you just dodge a few times and its all over. You can get well tooled up for the final boss that way.

(Damn, I want to play it again right now!)

It's been a while since I played this, so the following method may have been nerfed a bit, but if you want a method of killing the big boss that is relatively easy...

Spoiler

Get the crystal beam boon and then upgrade them to increase the number of turrets and/or their tracking speed. Then just spend your time avoiding stuff while the beams do their thing - if you pick up the double dash or player speed increases this makes the avoiding part easier. Trick is to keep moving and focus on avoiding the huge heat beam attacks (use cover for that).

Theory works for most other bosses too.

On 15/06/2021 at 09:41, SozzlyJoe said:

I think my problem had been getting wrecked in the arena style rooms of the final level

Yeah, I have been close to finishing recently, and it's pretty much all down to losing a life regen or two in the final rooms. If I had had one more in the last run, I would have been outta there.

Yaaaaassssssssss! Run 205 and this!

Spoiler

HadesOut.thumb.jpg.3eecc9e00ffd9388f5f7f340f6bca09a.jpg

Due to my favourite weapon - the hidden aspect of the Stygian Blade:

HadesFinally.thumb.jpg.2bec9b5c826adaf3b7d10ba71e775eea.jpg

Thought I'd get to complete all of the prophecies. But no, I got two new ones.

Spoiler

HadesProphecies.thumb.jpg.3c521ea740e9ef42e3ff310ad7c62297.jpg

Yes, that's a list with 43 completed prophecies, 2 more just added. I apparently have slain 45,523 foes along the way, too.

That must be some kind of record, but all the sweeter for the wait. Congratulations and welcome to the...

Spoiler

not on quite as bad terms with your dad club 😄

(I can't even remember if that needs spoilering!)