Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

Started from scratch just to see how far I could get on my first unupgraded run (died to Meg) and how long it would take to get all the way through and beat the final boss (6 runs).  But, I'm having so much fun, I can see myself doing everything again. This game! 😍

I'm not the biggest fan of roguelikes so I'm never gonna go gaga over this like many have done, but there's no denying that Supergiant's brand of crisp and elegant isometric game design is a match made in heaven (or hell) and this is a pretty much perfect example of the genre. It's just beautifully designed in every way and the sense of gradual progression and learning from each mistake is textbook stuff. A game made by devs who have a fundamental understanding of the most crucial aspects of game design and how to implement them. It'll be referred to in game design courses for years to come, I've little doubt.

Beat Meg on my fourth attempt or so and have so far found the spear to suit my style the best. The close-range AoE attack annihilates clusters of enemies and the range on its regular and recall attack seem to enable me to keep out of trouble most of the time. The shield's block attack was quite handy too but didn't enjoy the more passive playstyle that that encouraged so much.

I hope that's enough pretension for one post.

Smashed Elysium again, but the achievement for clearing it wouldn’t pop, which is a bit annoying. Wonder if it’s a bug or a problem from bringing my save over from PC. 

Im at this bit:

Spoiler

HeHeOrj.jpg

How many of those do I actually have to do? I just about made it through one the first time around and got my ass handed to me on the second one. 

Also, deflect on dash is my new favourite thing. 🤩

52 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Smashed Elysium again, but the achievement for clearing it wouldn’t pop, which is a bit annoying. Wonder if it’s a bug or a problem from bringing my save over from PC. 

Im at this bit:

Hide contents

HeHeOrj.jpg

How many of those do I actually have to do? I just about made it through one the first time around and got my ass handed to me on the second one. 

Also, deflect on dash is my new favourite thing. 🤩

It's pure chance. You might get it first time, you might have to do all of them. 

Re: the achievement issue, I think it might be related to Quick Resume. I quit the game from the dashboard and when it restarted it the achievements I’d earned suddenly appeared. 

As for the game itself, I’m another Switch player starting from scratch. Loving this at a higher res and on a bigger screen (had only played on my Switch Lite before). Really enjoying going through it all again. 

11 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Re: the achievement issue, I think it might be related to Quick Resume. I quit the game from the dashboard and when it restarted it the achievements I’d earned suddenly appeared. 

As for the game itself, I’m another Switch player starting from scratch. Loving this at a higher res and on a bigger screen (had only played on my Switch Lite before). Really enjoying going through it all again. 

It’s exactly that. After reading your post I quit it, relaunched and loads popped.Thanks. 

Took about 6 runs to beat the first boss. 

Which weapon do you guys think is best for a beginner? I find the bow dull as hell and just unlocked the spear which seeems really good. I imagine the captain america shield thing is the best for high level play. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Which weapon do you guys think is best for a beginner? I find the bow dull as hell and just unlocked the spear which seeems really good. I imagine the captain america shield thing is the best for high level play. 

For beginners I’d say the sword or actually the shield, bull rush is an incredibly powerful tool, also I leaned heavily towards Athena to begin with, she offers deflected moves and you can just zoom around deflecting and destroying everything, upgrade your dash as soon as possible too. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

I did the boss with the spear, definitely finding it to be the most flexible.

Gotten to the last boss twice now, but haven't managed to kill him.

Is Cerberus blood something that I can't get until I clear a run now?

Given that I've already got the two free blood for getting through the first and third bosses with every weapon.

24 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Gotten to the last boss twice now, but haven't managed to kill him.

Is Cerberus blood something that I can't get until I clear a run now?

Given that I've already got the two free blood for getting through the first and third bosses with every weapon.

Titan blood? You'll have more sources of it after you've escaped (think it's just the one clear you need but not 100% on that).

😃

Spoiler

fytWTSc.jpg

Kind of amazed that I managed to beat Hades (boss) on my first attempt.  I had some great boons, though - 4 consecutive dashes, plenty of life and special restoring 2% life on kill - killing all those exploding skulls he throws out really helped. And then True Shot is a massive help, too.

Great ending. I thought it was going to be Hades pulling a gotcha and you going back to the start, but it ended in a really nice way that felt satisfying while still encouraging you to keep playing.

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

What are the achievements like on this? I’ve already bought the game twice and escaped ten times but the lack of cross save put me off getting it on Xbox.  Now I’m thinking I could handle another couple of evenings if the achievements come thick and fast.  

As posted up thread you can bring PC saves over to Xbox with a bit of fiddling. 

7 minutes ago, gospvg said:

It's tough going for me, after you have cleared Tarturus can you always start from the next area or do you have to go through the first area again?

You go through it every time. As you get more used to it, and buff yourself in the mirror, it gets far easier and you’ll be charging through it in about five minutes or so.

Made it to the 3rd bosses. They kicked my ass. 

Tempted to turn on the god mode just to grind out some items. I'm guessing that disables achievents though. 

I'm not sure how all the upgrades work and what's best to focus on. Just need to keep playing I guess. 

4 minutes ago, footle said:

You go through it every time. As you get more used to it, and buff yourself in the mirror, it gets far easier and you’ll be charging through it in about five minutes or so.

I have some Titan blood, not sure if I missed something not sure what to use it for? Also did not realise in the mirror you can switch the perks to an alternative. Will collect a key to reset, will I get the purple currency used back?