IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

True Ending, number of clears.

Spoiler

It's 10 clears: at least it was on PC. I'm currently 6 or so in on this, and from my memory of the game last year I'm pretty sure that there's another three or four chunks of story to go.

57 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

Is there a way of telling what you need to do to get the last Fated Choice for each Olympian God? I've got a few of them but I can't figure out if there's specific things that need picking first.

There's a ton of stuff I've not discovered yet so am hesitant to look up a guide in case it spoils a load of other stuff...

There's a contractor upgrade that lets you see the God boons, and their prerequisites, in the Codex. It's possible it's not unlocked yet.

41 minutes ago, tnman said:

I enjoyed my time playing this last night but I can’t shake the niggling feeling that any win run is just going to be based on RNG on getting the good shit rather than my skill. Please tell me why I am wrong?

It's still a game of skill. Boons will just dictate how you will approach the runs and success can be determined by how well your picks synergise. You can complete the game with probably any set eventually, as you will get better at the actual game and enemy patterns as well.

18 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

I just started this last night too and am really enjoying the setting, the OTT voice acting and narrative, the combat is great and there seems to be literally endless build options and lots of lovely collectibles. The only major flaw that I can see with it is that I'm UTTERLY FUCKING SHIT at it. 

I picked up what I though were some powerful boons, had +25 health and the revive thingy and got completely melted at every attempt with Meg. Feels like I should be learning patterns and stuff but it's pretty chaotic in there. At first, I felt like @tnman in that it's a bit too RNG to what you might get to enable you progress but as I started to unlock gifts and things, there seems to be a clear upgrade path and you're meant to die a fair few times to get there.

I'm a complete roguelike(lite? hike? bike? whatever, I don't fucking know) noob and I'm not convinced they're my thing. I guess I'm pretty traditional in my game progression tastes but I'm doing my best to try new stuff this year so I'm going to keep at it. 

edit - and oh yeah, whoever said this was pretentious was off their nut. It's preposterously tongue-in-cheek and deliberately overwrought. There's a New Yoik cab driver NPC in a game about the son of Greek God trying to escape the underworld.

Honestly - the more you play, the better you'll get. It took me ages to figure it out but practise makes perfect.

What's so good about it is whilst you practise, you'll also be immersed with the characters and the world around you. 

8 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Honestly - the more you play, the better you'll get. It took me ages to figure it out but practise makes perfect.

What's so good about it is whilst you practise, you'll also be immersed with the characters and the world around you. 

Yeah, as a noob, my expectation of these games was just 'die, start again' which sounds terrible obviously but there's enough new dialogue, unlocks and areas with each death it feels like a new level and frustration is minimal.

I'd fully intended to play something else last night but saw that this was on quick resume and thought I'd just load it up and finish my run, despite completing it previously. Two and a half hours later it was 1am. As I thought, it's the perfect quick resume game!

1 hour ago, footle said:

True Ending, number of clears.

Reveal hidden contents

It's 10 clears: at least it was on PC. I'm currently 6 or so in on this, and from my memory of the game last year I'm pretty sure that there's another three or four chunks of story to go.

There's a contractor upgrade that lets you see the God boons, and their prerequisites, in the Codex. It's possible it's not unlocked yet.

Ah, nice one. I'll take a look for that. At the moment I just see the list of things the prophecy wants me to take, but no idea what to do to get offered them.

I've only just started getting hold of diamonds regularly after my first clear so hopefully will be able to start churning through the contractor jobs a bit faster.

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Made it through to the last boss with my Stygian Blade just now but it was a pretty rubbish build and he finished me off in the second phase. Ah well. Going in with the Spear, this time.

The spear is a beast with the right boons and what have you, backstab ahoy! 

Just died on last boss again with the fists. Had Ares boon on dash that causes rifts. So that got me to the last area for the first time with them. 

Nearly done it too he had a small bit of health left but I had no more death defiance. 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

It's still a game of skill. Boons will just dictate how you will approach the runs and success can be determined by how well your picks synergise. You can complete the game with probably any set eventually, as you will get better at the actual game and enemy patterns as well.

Yeah, but for example I’ve just done two runs with the bow. The first time I got some amazing boobs boons (lol autocorrect leaving that in) and got my furthest ever, to the third boss! Then I went back in full of hope and died randomly in the second area, as I just kept getting coin doors.

I'm reaching the Maze area fairly frequently but that seems to be a bit of a lottery (maybe the first time they make you find the item you need quickly, since hasn't happened since).  

Had a great Zeus build with the fists, on attack, dash, cast AND call which lead to crazy rebounds, and currently giving the bow another chance with Doom.  

For me, the continuing unlocks and changes you encounter make this really enjoyable even when you're not very good at it ( I.e myself).

For those who have read the basics of mythology, I highly recommend Pandora's Jar - women in the Greek myths, by Natalie Haynes.  She covers some of the same ground in fictionalised form in A Thousand Ships

Just had a quick lunchtime run and 2 things occurred to me.

I'm using weapons 99% of the time and just forget about the cast button, it just doesn't seem very effective. I'm probably talking shit so what should I be looking for to try and max that out?

I'm not sure I could play this without the Elite pad and being able to map dash to the back paddle. The constant spam of the A button whilst trying to attack would give me RSI. Particularly now I've unlocked double dash.

The Godss offer different types of cast which have their various strengths and weaknesses for each weapon type.  Also, you will be able to unlock a higher max number of casts as you progress.

Sometimes you simply don't encounter a cast boon, or a call boon for that matter.  The basic one is easy to overlook but it (damage) all adds up.

24 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Just had a quick lunchtime run and 2 things occurred to me.

I'm using weapons 99% of the time and just forget about the cast button, it just doesn't seem very effective. I'm probably talking shit so what should I be looking for to try and max that out?

I'm not sure I could play this without the Elite pad and being able to map dash to the back paddle. The constant spam of the A button whilst trying to attack would give me RSI. Particularly now I've unlocked double dash.

The base cast is pretty weak, but later in the game, with the right boons and weapon traits, it becomes indispensable. I just completed a run with 5 casts which inflicted hangover when they landed and which I could forcibly remove from enemies' bodies with my special, causing additional damage. The final boss was down inside 2 minutes with that build.

41 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

The initial damage it gives off is a bit dump, but it has a bit of a poison-style effect that you can buff from the mirror, where your attacks do more damage when they have the diamond on them.

4 minutes ago, tnman said:

The initial damage it gives off is a bit dump, but it has a bit of a poison-style effect that you can buff from the mirror, where your attacks do more damage when they have the diamond on them.

That's a good tip for beating the first boss.

Some of the experiences here are just mind boggling.

It took me fifty goes or so to finally escape on pc. I’m about six escapes in after thirty goes on Xbox, now I understand the systems, and I’m clearly not good at it.

but learning the systems, tuning and selecting your build is part of the game

36 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

That's a good tip for beating the first boss.

Some of the experiences here are just mind boggling.

I can now reliably hand Meg's ass to her every time. Unusually for me and my kind of play style, I find it hardest with the sword because I can't get away from her fast enough.

Did a dodge build with the fists after lunch, used the keepsake that boosts dodge% and movement speed when you quickly clear an encounter. Got the Hermes (?) boon that buffs damage off extra movement speed. Had the keepsake up to 22% by the time I got to Styx, then brainfarted and took the keepsake off. 🙃

As for the cast, it is indeed a bit weedy on its own and is only really particularly useful early on for the slight damage boost you get on enemies with casts in them.

There are some very fun builds later on based entirely around casts, where you have these huge tracking beams and vortexes of doom that automatically return to you when done, that you can cast all of in one go by holding the button for half a second, and oh you also have like six of them somehow. They're actually some of the most frustrating things to chase in my experience because they need a lot of moving parts so you need a good dose of RNG, but when it comes off, hoo boy, there's nothing like it. You just dash around the outside of the arena for a bit then wonder where everything went.

People talking about painful fingers because of constant dashing, I just wanted to point out you can just hold the attack button to attack at maximum speed, just in case you didn't notice.  That way you can just tap dodge with the lower part of your thumb when needed. 

Sorry if that was mansplainey. 

Demeter’s cast is bonkers. It you can get them placed right before the final boss does his little laser spin thing, they just munch his health. 

Have yet to be killed by Boss 3 since starting on Xbox, and sometimes it’s a pretty quick fight, having previously been really long and painful. Amazing how you progress in this. 

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Have yet to be killed by Boss 3 since starting on Xbox, and sometimes it’s a pretty quick fight, having previously been really long and painful. Amazing how you progress in this. 

Had a problem with Boss 3 (small) simply blocking all my charged shots on the bow run. Almost,  but not quite - best bow run to date.

I've swapped around some of the mirror skills, the one which restores health when you pick up exp seems very useful.

19 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Had a problem with Boss 3 (small) simply blocking all my charged shots on the bow run. Almost,  but not quite - best bow run to date.

I've swapped around some of the mirror skills, the one which restores health when you pick up exp seems very useful.

I now find that bit of the Boss 3 fight really easy. Hitting him is a bit of a pain because of the block, but I've nearly always got something that can do DoT, or that I don't really need to worry about aiming, like Demeter or Artemis' call. The Call meter fills up super quick in that fight, too, so using a greater call like Artemis' or Aphrodite's do 1500+ damage in one go. Dashing through him and shooting him in the back obviously works, too, but you have to get in, get a few hits in, and get out, fairly sharpish.

All of these are great for Boss 4, too. I'm honestly surprised how easy that last fight is on the whole. Way, way easier than what I was expecting.