Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

Put a few hours into this and it really is as good as the hype. Had it on Epic since Early Access but kept putting it off until it was ready and then just forgot about it. Currently getting absolutely wrecked by the Elysium boss(es) so am busy levelling up my upgrades. Also decided to switch on God Mode so that I don't get too frustrated and not finish it.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

I love Meg.

Yeah, Meg's cool. So I

Spoiler

romanced her, in-game, first.

Her sisters are nuts. But I fought Tis so often I almost had her saying my name properly when I did.

Stumbled upon an Athena spear build that forgoes the AoE attack for rapid deflecting strikes by just holding the button down and juiced it up with a bunch of poms that have it dealing increasing amounts of damage that are topping out at over 1k. It’s absolutely annihilated everything in my path so far including melting the third area bosses for my first victory over them and seeing me through the entirety of the fourth area without losing a smidge of health. 

So I’m now sat on 4 extra lives with a full health bar and a weapon that has laughed in the face of everything that’s challenged it so far and am about to face Redacted for the first time. 💪

This is going to be a tale of sheer fucking hubris that will be told down the ages isn’t it... 😑

edit: fucking asshole

7 hours ago, Timmo said:

I'll keep playing but I'm not sure about the balancing so far. I got to the third boss after 5 or so deaths and it was just talking hundreds of hits to get anywhere and felt like a pretty tedious war of attrition.

You can have builds that are far too defensive for those bosses - eg ones that are entirely built around aoe, where you somehow haven’t got a call.

however the balancing at low heats is actually fine (sorry) - it’s just you haven’t got the tactics or boon choice down, and if you’re really screwed up early then there’s always death defiance.
In later and harder runs, you’ve probably unlocked the ability to reroll boons, doors etc. which gives you a little bit more chance of getting the build you want, and you can tailor the difficulty somewhat to your own preferences.

43 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

This is going to be a tale of sheer fucking hubris that will be told down the ages isn’t it... 😑

edit: fucking asshole

Sympathy tear.

Had fun with a Doom 'n' Drunk gun run.  Made very short work of boss 3 in particular.

Just the bow left, and I haven't yet found a hammer alteration which I like more than the base weapon (the homing special attack version). I know part of the problem is being too static compared to using the melee weapons.

I wonder how the epilogue unlocks? Got the main ending and just replaying to see this and grind the last few achievements. I have 6 clears in a row at over 6 fury/heat and over 50 runs in totals. 

Maybe I just need to exhaust all dialogue options. 

4 minutes ago, Ry said:

I wonder how the epilogue unlocks? Got the main ending and just replaying to see this and grind the last few achievements. I have 6 clears in a row at over 6 fury/heat and over 50 runs in totals. 

Maybe I just need to exhaust all dialogue options. 

When you say the 'main ending', have you seen the credits? I.e.,

Spoiler

Have you cleared the game ten times?

As for the epilogue,

Spoiler

It's pretty specific, IIRC - you need to talk to several different characters on different runs to unlock it. Might be better to use a guide.

17 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Had fun with a Doom 'n' Drunk gun run.  Made very short work of boss 3 in particular.

Just the bow left, and I haven't yet found a hammer alteration which I like more than the base weapon (the homing special attack version). I know part of the problem is being too static compared to using the melee weapons.

For Aspect of Chiron (the homing special one), I like Relentless Volley (+4 shots to your special) and Concentrated Volley (increases the base damage of every consecutive hit). I tend to use Artemis special for base damage but you can also put Demeter or Dionysus on it (avoid Zeus and Poseidon tho, doesn't proc with every shot) and another status effect on Attack for Privileged Status damage. Prioritise Chaos every chance you get, too — unless it's Duo-hunting time I'll save roll tokens for Chaos as any kind of special damage boost off him is just nutty.

Also what do you mean by static? You can be super nimble with Chiron if you want to. You can either charge a power shot from range or just tap attack from up close to get your lock-on. Then you can go anywhere on screen, pretty much, and just mash special when you're safe. 

59 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

For Aspect of Chiron (the homing special one), I like Relentless Volley (+4 shots to your special) and Concentrated Volley (increases the base damage of every consecutive hit). I tend to use Artemis special for base damage but you can also put Demeter or Dionysus on it (avoid Zeus and Poseidon tho, doesn't proc with every shot) and another status effect on Attack for Privileged Status damage. Prioritise Chaos every chance you get, too — unless it's Duo-hunting time I'll save roll tokens for Chaos as any kind of special damage boost off him is just nutty.

Also what do you mean by static? You can be super nimble with Chiron if you want to. You can either charge a power shot from range or just tap attack from up close to get your lock-on. Then you can go anywhere on screen, pretty much, and just mash special when you're safe. 

Thanks for the tips.  I think the problem is psychological in part- so used to a bow being a sniping option. Somehow the dash attack seems a lot more awkward with it. To be fair, in the larger rooms in Elysium where there is often time for charging, it works brilliantly, and also for the Tartarus trapped columns. I quite like Poseidon on the attack for the blowback-  I should probably toggle back to privileged status and look for something else for the special.

Got this for PS5 and loving it. I loved Bastian but hated Transistor, so glad that is falling more on the former side for me.

I need to learn to not rush in like a twat though and wait for openings. I felt pretty unstoppable up to a certain point so naturally I got cocky and it all went tits up. :lol:

On 17/08/2021 at 12:18, sammy said:

Threads like this always remind me how shit I am at games.  16 runs and only just beat Meg, although did it twice in a row, so definitely making progress.  Shield seems to be working best for me so far.  Incredible game, it just oozes quality.

I’ve made some pretty good progress over the past couple of days.  I thought I’d change the shield up for the bow and immediately preferred the damage output.  Bought the aspect of Chiron which made an even bigger difference.  I beat the deadly duo at the end of Elysium earlier today! By the skin of my teeth but still! 

I haven’t been sucked into a game like this for a long time, its an absolute stunner. 

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

When you say the 'main ending', have you seen the credits? I.e.,

Hide contents

Have you cleared the game ten times?

As for the epilogue,

Hide contents

It's pretty specific, IIRC - you need to talk to several different characters on different runs to unlock it. Might be better to use a guide.

Yeah, got the main ending. Just the epilogue I'm after. 

Going to take a break. I have put in all my free time to this and don't want to get exhausted by it. 

Being on quick resume is so bloody good. I can just jump in and do a couple of runs of areas in between other shit. 

I think I’ve completed about 6 runs. Just did two pretty much back to back, today, and the time just flew. 

With the nectar, is how many do I need to pour into each character to get anything after the initial one? I’ve given like 5 to Charon and bugger all has happened. I’ve got hardly any nectar but like 7 of the big Ambrosias that I can’t do anything with. 

I positively hate the bow. It’s the one and only weapon I never had a decent build with. Poor range, long charge with a narrow sweet spot, exceptionally low damage. Killing anything beyond Tartarus takes so long I let out several “what’s taking so long!”

I never want to use it.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I positively hate the bow. It’s the one and only weapon I never had a decent build with. Poor range, long charge with a narrow sweet spot, exceptionally low damage. Killing anything beyond Tartarus takes so long I let out several “what’s taking so long!”

I never want to use it.

Theres a couple of Daedalus hammers that stack nicely - no power shot but rapid fire + three bolts at the same time. It’s great. 

Also the alt fire, there’s a common Daedalus hammer that decreases range but lets you charge to do 250% damage. Stack that with a boon that does damage over time and you’re sorted. Stand an inch from the enemy and let it off and you hit them with about 10 arrows at once. 

I have also fallen deep, deep, underworld deep in love with this. I had to consciously not take my Switch on holiday the other week, because I'd have gained a +130% buff to Unsociable. It's only got better since then. I'm in the early-to-mid stages of the post-game, I think. I still have some Prophecies to tick off: alongside the story stuff, there are still a few weapon upgrades and some Duo Boons. It's amazing how effective that is at distracting your build when you know you should just be trying for a win.

The urge to hand-write notes is the sign of a genius game to me, and I'm a couple of dozen pages into my big notebook. Boon trackers, notes on run strategy with primary and secondary goals, and most recently my "Heat-o-meter".

I think what really sealed it for me was the first time I constructed a Poseidon build that cleared the first Styx chamber in approx 1 second. Glorious nonsense. I don't even like roguelikes!

I got an Artemis book last night that fired a selling arrow every time I hit an enemy with any attack, special or cast. My build was built around the spear with the flurry Daedalus hammer and I absolutely annihilated everything in Styx. I bloody hate those Satyrs, but they didn’t stand a chance. 

10 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think I’ve completed about 6 runs. Just did two pretty much back to back, today, and the time just flew. 

With the nectar, is how many do I need to pour into each character to get anything after the initial one? I’ve given like 5 to Charon and bugger all has happened. I’ve got hardly any nectar but like 7 of the big Ambrosias that I can’t do anything with. 

In the journal you can see which NPCs will open up more with further Nectar. I always convert gems into keys into Nectar before setting off, don't like leaving without 2 or 3 for my favourites. Certainly favouring the Gods brings rewards in terms of boons rarity after receiving their initial gift. The one person I thought might appreciate some doesn't seem to want any, and I'm still missing one accessory.

11 hours ago, df0 said:

I never want to use it.

Each run I pick the "purple" weapon. Keeps things interesting. 

Last night I went with bow and realised the quick normal shot upgrade is a must have, it fires 3 shots in quick succession. Not as powerful as normal charging shot but not by much and it gets rids of grunts easier. With that and a few power boons you can decimate foes. Then use the special when eye to eye with a foe so they get every arrow. Also having the special deflect is amazing. Projectiles couldn't get near me . I made it through to Elysium boss without taking a hit. 

I now have about 20 clears. Only 4 with the bow though. Slowly working through the prophecies. They will take about 100 hours I'm guessing. 

On 17/08/2021 at 22:53, df0 said:

I just had the worst run: gloves with Poseidon. Poseidon’s boons have knock back which means whenever I attack I knock enemies away. Glad that’s over, lost all DD in Asphodel :lol: 

They're stupidly strong if you kite enemies to a wall and bounce them off it back into your fists. Everything just melts with the added wall damage and faster with wall damage buffs. 

Just cleared first run with the bow. Had 3 DD + the relic that gives one extra with at least 100 hp. By the very end I grew tired of dodging and tanked all the damage using 3 DD.

The run was a hot mess, jaysus. I think I lack the foresight and tact to use the bow, I am more the impatient button mashing type.

Three to go: shield, gloves and the one that I unlocked but do not want to spoil.

Bow run done :).   Flurry shot and concentrated Volley did the trick with maimed flourish adding 100% to the homing Volley (earning that Chaos boon almost cost me versus boss 2 mind). Lots of help from Athena made the difference. 

Bloody hell I only went and beat it!  Started a run with the 

Spoiler

Gun

with a view to just beating Meg and getting a titan blood to upgrade my bow aspect.  It just went brilliantly, ended up deflect dash striking the (un)living shit out of everything, walked out of Styx with all of my death defiances and finished the last fight with one to spare.  

Absolutely buzzing and can’t wait to crack back into it later.  What a game.

I finally beat the Redacted cunt! :omg:

Was completely unexpected on that particular run as, much like the previous poster, I was just using the shield for perhaps the second time ever, purely to get some blood and a diamond.

Lucked out on a ridiculously overpowered Doom-based homing Special build as shown below that essentially revolved entirely around dashing then chucking my shield, letting it bounce around every enemy in the room and then just waiting for the damage-boosted Doom to do its thing. Repeat ad infinitum and pretty much the only damage I took throughout the whole run was a bar or so of health on the final boss.

5CA2C405-9D17-4A00-B34A-983F31BCC2E9.thumb.png.682a69dfbbbc772ab5cd613649b5ed9b.png

I would say it felt cheap but I’ve more than earned my stripes after 30 runs and refusing to use God mode so fuck him.  Right up there with besting the most challenging Dark Souls and Bloodborne bosses in terms of fist-pumping satisfaction in victory. 

Such a magnificently designed game and I’m hard pushed to think of any other that has a more perfectly pitched sense of gradual progression and mechanical discovery. Hellishly addictive, fiendishly good, and worth every drop of blood that’s been spilled in all the gushing praise for it.