IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

I got into about 15 runs when I first bought this, was really enjoying it, then a load of work and life came at me and I didn't pick it up again until yesterday. The two runs I did last night I barely got past Meg when before I think I got up to the 3rd or 4th level. Basically, I need to relearn how to play. And slow down. I go into rooms with the best of intentions and before I know it I'm dashing around like a loon slashing at everything, even when I know it's not the way to get it done.

I’ve just finished Mass Effect LE and ive started this. Glad to finally experience it after hearing about it so much. Have only done 3 runs and got a third off Megs health before I died. Think it should fill the ME void nicely.

I’ll not bombard the thread with noob questions other than asking is the bow good to go with?

It depends...

They're all potentially good, depending on your play style and the build you get. One reason it's worth mixing it up to learn the styles - choosing the weapon with the purple glow each run (darkness boost) is one way to do that.

Tip: go for Daedalus Hammers as they beef up your weapon's base behaviour.

27 minutes ago, Gringo said:

I’ve just finished Mass Effect LE and ive started this. Glad to finally experience it after hearing about it so much. Have only done 3 runs and got a third off Megs health before I died. Think it should fill the ME void nicely.

I’ll not bombard the thread with noob questions other than asking is the bow good to go with?

I got my first clear with the bow and have the most clears with it overall. If you learn the timing for the super shot and pick up some boons which increase your crit chance, then it can absolutely wreck. Because it's ranged, it can keep you out or danger, too.

Other people seem to really not like it, however. The sword is probably the simplest weapon to get your head around; it's got a standard attack, an AOE special, and that's pretty much it.

I'm slowly chipping away at the achievements. Sadly, though, I don't think I'll ever get 1000/1000 unless I just grind through the one that requires you to max out everyone's keepsakes. It takes at least 2 runs to max out one from nothing, and with 25 different ones, I'd have to spend nearly as much time on the game as I have already. That particular achievement stands out as being especially rubbish compared with the others. Something like 'Equip each keepsake for at least one underworld region' would have been better. I'll see how many I've got left once I've done all the other sidequests.

26 minutes ago, smac said:

Hah. I could have done it four times over by the time I escaped. Wish I had.

I think it's closer to three runs, actually. But yeah, if I'd been switching them up from the start then I'd be a lot closer to getting the achievement, but I pretty much used Eurydice's acorn exclusively as soon as I got it from up until when I started thinking about going for the 1000 GS.

I find the game a breeze until I reach Theseus and Asterius, again and again they beat me and after 100+ attempts I have still only escaped once. 

I have been working to building my Aspect of Chiron and its now at level 4, still struggle beating those two though.

You know something, I have never even used Call before, perhaps thats where I am going wrong  :)

Is it worth building the relationships, I always use those nectar and ambrosia's to obtain Titan blood?

1 minute ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Saw the credits last night after 27 runs. Is there any real incentive story-wise to keep going?

In short, yes!

I don't suppose you'd want us to spoil the reason?

Edit: I might've been a bit trigger happy there. It actually depends a bit but there's bound to be quite a few loose ends to tie up story wise.

23 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Hmm, tempting to be honest. If it's something pretty significant though maybe I should just get back to it.

Only look at the spoilered content if you're curious about what's left. No story stuff explained. 

Spoiler

If you've escaped 10 times and brought your mother back to live with you, there'll be a bit more meat added to the story. Also, the trinket you get from your mother is amazing and will make future runs a lot easier. Also, have you unlocked the legendary version of each weapon? Some of those are great fun to use and mixes the gameplay up quite a bit

35 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Saw the credits last night after 27 runs. Is there any real incentive story-wise to keep going?

there’s quite a lot that then comes after the credits (the epilogue), but it will be doled out more slowly. There’s also all the character side stories you won’t have touched on let alone completed after 27 runs.

18 minutes ago, marcus said:

I find the game a breeze until I reach Theseus and Asterius, again and again they beat me and after 100+ attempts I have still only escaped once. 

I have been working to building my Aspect of Chiron and its now at level 4, still struggle beating those two though.

You know something, I have never even used Call before, perhaps thats where I am going wrong  :)

Is it worth building the relationships, I always use those nectar and ambrosia's to obtain Titan blood?

Calls are extremely useful at doling out lots of damage quickly, especially when it comes to boss battles, if you put some additional boons into them as well. Posiedon's, Zeus', Ares' are all great at just melting health bars, while Aphrodite's is especially useful for the T & M fight as it charms them to attack each other. It you're going for a high crit build using the bow, then Artemis' is also really effective.

As for the fight itself, as has been mentioned, deal with the Minotaur first and try to keep him away from Theseus with a pillar in between so you can avoid Theseus' spear throws. You can dodge underneath a lot of the bull's jumping attacks and get some backstabs in. Theseus always activates a call of his own when he's down to half health, so wait for that before using your own, as he's impervious for a few seconds when he triggers it.

There's so shame in activating God mode, either, especially if you've escaped once already without it and activating it is going to make you enjoy the game more.

@Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

I originally stopped once I'd got to the credits when I first played the game back at the start of the year, but have now jumped back in again. There's no more real main story content, but there are lots of sidequests with the various NPCs, and going for the achievements is very addictive, as well as unlocking all the stuff. I'd suggest playing it for a bit more to see if you like it. If it gets its hooks into you, though, be prepared for it to completely monopolise your spare time.

The Poseidon call + sucking all enemies toward you+  starting with the gauge x% full is a very efficient combo and clears those annoying Maze rooms really quickly.

Athenas call is brilliant for the Redacted fight.  In fact all the calls have their uses and you feel a bit naked without one.

I've just got the time limit penalty to escape using and hoping to achieve that with the gloves.

I put this onto God Mode for a couple of runs. It definitely suits my slap-people-in-the-face-with-an-arrow style of gameplay.

May leave it on - much more chance of seeing everything if I do, that's for sure!

I tried that (L16) run yesterday but came up short against the revised level 3 boss.  I probably need to treat beating particular boss as a separate objective in its own right.

I don't think i'll ever earn the two "no hits" achievements, but I would like to see the end of the story.  Guess its just a case of handing out nectar and ambrosia wherever possible

Just now, Cosmic_Guru said:

Guess its just a case of handing out nectar and ambrosia wherever possible

Spoiler

From what I can tell, no one seems to be 100% sure on what the requirements actually are, and there seems to be a lot of RNG involved. Having the Gods' affinities maxed out definitely helps, and you need to talk to Demeter, Hades and Persephone a lot. I'm at the point now, though, where there are no exclamation points above either Hades or Persephone after each run, so I think I just need to get lucky with Demeter's dialogue to trigger the next bit of the story.

Completing Achilles' sidequest is similarly finicky, but I think I'm almost there with that one.

As for the no-hit achievement, the Erebus Gate one is pretty simple if you use the bow and keep them at range, or the shield and you block everything. Try to get it in Tartarus, though, as the enemies are tougher in later areas. I haven't got the one got Thanatos' keepsake yet, but when I go for it I'll probably use a souped-up bow or shield build and set heat to 0. If his keepsake is fully-levelled then it's 15 chambers without getting hit to get it to 30% and pop the achievement, I believe.