IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

On this playthrough I respecced several times, basically maximising what I could from the current set of available upgrades, then respeccing once I'd unlocked something else I wanted to invest in. Saving up for 3 DDs from the start is incredibly bad business, obviously, but as soon as it becomes available it's one of the best options available to you. It's very cheap to do, you'll be swimming in keys later on. 

I'm considering doing it again even though I unlocked the full mirror ages ago, because I want more of the boon token things. They're so expensive but I'm struggling to get builds together a bit.

On 06/09/2021 at 09:57, df0 said:

YouTube recommended a speed run from this year’s AGDQ. Spoilers of course for bosses, items and everything else. The amount of damage output is ridiculous.

Reveal hidden contents

edit: spoilered for thumbnail.

This video is ridiculous 

2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Getting increasingly annoyed at the two achievements which refuse to unlock for me - purging a legendary boon and thumping Death.  Not for the GS but it gives me less incentive to try the difficult challenges. 100th run complete, and yes it was commented on.

Quick resume buggers the achievements. I was closing and reloading the game each time I turned it on.

17 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Quick resume buggers the achievements. I was closing and reloading the game each time I turned it on

This is a very good point. I never quick resume the game just because of these issues. 

4 left. Can't get used to your new avatar mind Jamie.

20 hours ago, danbot said:

May be worth using a 1 key now if you can respec to 3 death defiances.

So glad I did this! I'm generally only getting in about 1 run a night so thought I'd first respec to get the 3 and then grind out some keys and purple things, and enjoy more of the dialogue. I got a hammer out of the gate that made my trident bonkers and ended up in the second go against Redacted :lol:. Totally didn't mean to do that, even got there with a death defiance spare. Was all a bit Neo starting to believe.

It's funny, I can't believe how hard the furies were at first, but now I'm putting down Alecto without losing a defiance. I hope the battle with Theseus gets there. I've learned to be patient, not try to rush the battle, and hope for the Dionysus thing because I can mentally deal with the random circles more easily than the big patterns.

17 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Quick resume buggers the achievements. I was closing and reloading the game each time I turned it on.

Also, one time it affected the save sync between my two Xboxes. I nearly carried on with an older save (which I assume would have synced over my newer one, eventually) until I realized I had fewer keys etc. than I should have. Ran to my XB1, fired it up there and made sure that later save still existed, came down and quit Hades and restarted and there it was on the XSX too.

QR really ought to be a toggle like AI HDR for games where it's wonky, until they iron out these issues at least.

I had a frustrating but ultimately successful Exagryph run at lunchtime. I've only got a few boons left to take to fulfil the legendary and duo prophecies, so right now all my choices are focused on trying to engineer them appearing rather than what works well with whatever I've already got. So I ended up with a powerful weapon that becomes even more powerful after a manual reload, but with a hugely reduced capacity and range so the opportunities to manually reload basically disappeared. Similarly lots of the other boons and hammers combined in ways that negated each others' strengths. I don't mind, at the moment I'm focusing on the prophecies, and if I escape it's a bonus. Which I did in the scrappiest, most frantic final encounter ever, which cost my last two death defiances and got my health down to single figures.

And now I've seen the credits I laugh every time when

Spoiler

the narrator comes up with an excuse for not showing the cottage.

What a game.

Think I'm almost done.  A few more things to unlock for the cabinet of curiosities, and at least one prophecy, plus the 2nd Skelly gift.  Everything else accomplished, if not necessarily recognised.

Beautiful game.

Edit.  Not completed all the prophecies but made a good stab at them.  

• 2 weeks later...

Think I'm now done. Just got the last achievement which did take me a while. Harsh conditions it was. Only have 6 prophecies left so may just dip in now and then to work on those and maybe push for a heat 32 run. 

Amazing game had a very enjoyable 110 hrs out of it. 

This is far and away my game of the year so far.  I’ve unlocked all the hidden weapon aspects and have been having amazing fun with the Excalibur aspect, very slow but the damage is ridiculous. Sticking Artemis on attack and Aphro on special for the heart rend duo, whacking down the damage reduction aura and walloping all comers for up to 6k crits just doesn’t get old 😀

1 minute ago, sammy said:

@moosegrinder From what I can remember he just started turning up randomly, it might be worth giving him a nectar when you do next see him.

That's what I've been waiting to do but I've not seen him. Apparently he has a chance to turn up in Elysium after you've fought Alecto or Tisephone but nothing since the first time.

32 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm just a bit perplexed as I never got to Redacted on the Switch version and had him fairly early on. You're right though, I expect he'll pop up at some point. I just didn't know if I had to give someone x amount of Nectar or whatever.

Rng is odd in this game. 

As in I was at 105 hrs before I got the additional scene with Hypnos and Thanatos that allowed me to finally  give hypnos more ambrosia. 

So odd 

The RNG is pissing me off now. Trying to get the last achievements and boy is it getting tiresome just blitzing through hoping to have the right conversation with some of the gods and shades etc. I’ve not unlocked a single hidden weapon aspect yet, god knows if there’s some other random conversation I need to have before I can get to those conversations….

If you're after the achievements/trophies from the beginning of the game then it's a good idea to give away nectar to literally everyone you meet as often as you possibly can, and also to use all the different trinkets you unlock from the get-go to level them up.

It's certainly not the most efficient way to play the game, but if you can see yourself getting into it for the long haul (and you should, because it's excellent), getting a head start on the achievements early on is a good way to combat the RNG woes you might experience later. I played the game for nearly 100 hours, and I'd say a good ten of those was spent rolling runs, over and over, waiting for the right RNG (not that I regret doing so, however).

Oh no! In my "quick go before work" this morning I accidentally

Spoiler

paid the shade in Hades' room for a new job title

and now I'm 1000 darkness lighter! I was saving those up to max out Fated Persuasion. Oh well, back to the grind...

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Thanatos turned up again but I was on a terrible run and died in the room where I have to beat him with kills so I just have to wait till he turns up again I guess.

You'll be beating him soundly in no time, don't you worry 👍

Annoyingly, though, you can only give him nectar when he pops up back in the House.

Managed to get a win with the fists after many tries, hurray. I think the key to victory oddly was the 'charm' call which I had previously dismissed as being useless for bosses but is actually excellent as it interrupts their mega attacks.

I feel like the game hasn't really been opening up since I beat it (4 or 5 times now). Am I missing triggering something? All I really have is the opportunity to do it again with added difficulty settings. I was expecting something a bit more.. I dunno. Transformative? I've been firing the nectar around, and everybody's just 'cheers mate' but nothing happens. Aren't they supposed to give me quests?

The answer to most of these questions in Hades is usually "keep playing". The core gameplay loop doesn't change too much, so repeat until bored or everything is unlocked.

Make sure to try

Spoiler

Extreme measures at each level for additional lulz.