Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

Properly addicted to this now. 47 attempts in, 20 escapes so I'm playing around with Heat and gifting everyone nectar to try and fulfill prophecies. 

I've enjoyed this play through way more than I did on the Switch at the start of the year.

I have something like 45 attempts have escaped once.  I think the time I escaped I had a boon which mean I gained 2% health for every attack. God mode is currently 52% resistance!

I really like this game but I can only really play late at night and sometimes find it too frantic/hard.  

I put God mode on in the end as well, wish I'd done it earlier - I was more interested in resolving the story than killing monsters the pure way! 

What's your setup @tobert? Full set of mirror talents? Plus, the trinket that means you don't get hit the first five times in the boss fight is extremely useful. 

Finally saw the credits this weekend! Still loads of story to resolve though. 

Ive managed to escape with all weapons and am now working on all escaping using all the mirror options.

Spoiler

Hoping to unlock some more companions soon, currently have Skelly who is pretty handy.

Ahh, I had the same realisation about then too.

Question for people that are towards the end of their unlocking: do you use the hidden/final aspects for the weapons or stick with other ones for most runs?

Aside from the bow and Claws, I'm finding that all of the others kind of force you into a very specific play style which don't leave much variety (and can lead to some bad setups). 

I'm gradually maxing out all the different aspects, so I just pick the weapon based on the darkness bonus and then level up another aspect and use that. I won't actually start to choose between them until they're all maxed out, assuming I'm still playing then*.

*Who am I kidding, I'll still be playing this as my hearse pulls up to the crem.

15 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I hold every one of you bastards utterly responsible for my pile of shame increasing over the last few months. 

F627D31F-DFAA-40C8-ABAC-94CAD678A84D.jpeg

Welcome to the gang. The good news is. You may be able to play other games again now 

Took me about 20-30 runs, but I finally managed to beat Redacted, mostly due to having some nutty Boons like Demeter's laser beam cast with a Duo that increased their tracking ability and damage, an extra Bloodstone from Chaos (apparently its possible to get a +4 Bloodstone boon from Chaos, which would have laid waste to everyone) and then Artemis's Call which was getting powered up by the constant spamming of the Casts. I was running with the Eternal Spear, which is the only weapon other than the Adamant Rail that I've managed to get to Redacted with, but this was the time I finally won.

And then straight back in lol. Tried going with extra foes for my first Heat 1 run but chose a different weapon, got rubbish Boons and then got slapped straight back to the House. Lol.

It's mildly annoying (stupid of me really) that you can't reset weapon aspects after adding Titan Blood. I had no idea what I was doing, so dumped four Titan Bloods into the first Adamant Rail aspect before realising that wasn't the best idea as I was doing much better with the Spear overall. Fail.

On 11/10/2021 at 19:05, tobert said:

I have a nearly have all the upgrades from the mirror, I am working on the ones which increase the chance of rare boons. I generally go with Skelly tooth trinket

If I were you, assuming you have some death defiances, I would get rid of Skelly's tooth and use Old Spiked Collar instead. The tooth isn't doing anything for you until you've burnt through all your death defiances, and the Old Spiked Collar (especially once upgraded to +50 health) will reduce your chance of dying.

(Edit: realised this assumes you have the Contractor upgrade allowing you to change keepsakes after each boss. If you don't - you gotta get it!)

I assume you have the upgrade giving you +3 health each room, and if you're working on the last upgrades on the Mirror you should have three defiances already. 

If you mostly get wasted in the boss battles rather than regular enemies, you could use Evergreen Acorn which once upgraded makes a real difference (especially to the later bosses). 

As for me, though I really enjoy the game the approach to story-telling is pretty slow! I'm well into the game (50 attempts, 9 or 10 successes) and I still don't have any of the late-game stuff - despite being post-credits! Still trying to convince (both sets of) fated lovers to stop fucking about and get back together, too. It's asking quite a lot from its players to keep going through again and again as the only mechanism to advance the plot, and it only gets away with it because it's amazing.

26 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

What upgrade is this?

Chthonic Vitality. I've never found its alternative (Dark Regeneration) to be any good, especially as it requires you to pick Darkness rewards which you won't bother with later on.

46 minutes ago, Schnibbles said:

Chthonic Vitality. I've never found its alternative (Dark Regeneration) to be any good, especially as it requires you to pick Darkness rewards which you won't bother with later on.

It does give you a good heal after bosses though (presuming you're not on a new heat level). 

37 minutes ago, robdood said:

It does give you a good heal after bosses though (presuming you're not on a new heat level). 

That's pretty much why I go with it for now, as I've got as far as Redacted with most of the weapons now so it's good for the health bonus. That said, it's only the Elysium fight that gives me trouble generally, although there's a variant of the second fight that is a pain in the arse (fucking homing missiles at speed? Argh), so I can often get there with a decent amount of health and all of my Death Defiances.

Is there some kind of special trigger for giving nectar to your kin who helps you out from time to time in chambers? Every time, he just buggers off immediately after I talk to him but there's no prompt to gift so I'm a bit clueless as to what to do (and not helped by the RNG in whether you actually meet him).

Thanatos is sometimes back at the ranch - he's not much more chatty then either, but you can give him nectar.

46 minutes ago, robdood said:

But then doesn't that amount to 'you get a good heal when you're doing something you've already managed'? You already get healed in the fountain after bosses (can't remember if that was an upgrade or not!).

5 minutes ago, Schnibbles said:

Thanatos is sometimes back at the ranch - he's not much more chatty then either, but you can give him nectar.

But then doesn't that amount to 'you get a good heal when you're doing something you've already managed'? You already get healed in the fountain after bosses (can't remember if that was an upgrade or not!).

It's been ages since I was mad into this game, but from memory the fountain's heal is pretty meagre, I definitely had more than one life saved by a big fat blob of darkness dropping after beating a boss! 

Mentioned this before, but charm is great for bosses (especially redacted). It doesn't actually charm them (well it does, but only for a brief second) so you'd think it's crap but what it also does is interrupt their horrible attacks. Even the lowest level call does this, and it charges so quickly. Life saver!

(There's also a boon that adds a random charm effect to attack. This is amazing)

Yeah, I use charm as a call a fair amount (equal to Poseidon's excellent call) - but I don't use the lower versions, I just use the Greater Call during boss battles - which, for example, will more or less instantly kill the final phase of the Hydra. I don't think I have the reaction speeds to use it to interrupt attacks.

1 hour ago, Schnibbles said:

It's also the heal you get from treasure troves (it's turns the darkness one's into a chunky heal), the tinge of erebus from charons well is a cheap little heal, miniboss rooms with a darkness rewards will give a little heal too. It can be very handy. 

In comparison, +3 hp each room doesn't go very far when you have 300hp and are down 200 odd.

Its horses for courses though. When running the hidden spear aspect, this is really good. And if you are good at clearing rooms without taking damage, this can be good for topping up health.

Similar to how in late game, stubborn defiance becomes a bit more useful than dark defiance, as you've learned the boss patterns enough that you tend not to get battered and need multiple revives, but some normal Chambers can be a problem and having a revive available in every chamber can be super helpful. 

15 minutes ago, Polmon said:

Similar to how in late game, stubborn defiance becomes a bit more useful than dark defiance, as you've learned the boss patterns enough that you tend not to get battered and need multiple revives, but some normal Chambers can be a problem and having a revive available in every chamber can be super helpful. 

Speak for yourself, you skilful git! I generally get to T&A, get battered depending on how extreme their measures are (maximum Extreme Measures was amazingly unfair) then replenish all my defiances at the Charon's Wells in Styx, then get wiped out a couple of times by Redacted. 

That's just reminded me of how much I hate Satyrs. God, I hate satyrs. 

Yeah, Satyrs can get to fuck. I've gotten to Styx with all my Death Defiances intact, gotten absolutely battered by the Satyrs (especially the time where I had to do all the fucking tunnels to get the snack for Zag's buddy) and then died to Redacted.

That said, I'm getting better at reading and dodging Redacted's attacks. Last night I started the fight with the Twin Fists at full health (I had 300 health mind you, so that was good) and all my Death Defiances, and managed to get through the first phase without taking too much damage and then only used up one Death Defiance in the second phase, so that's my second escape completed, woo!

On reading some of the discussion above, I decided to try using the +3HP/chamber thing and I'm regretting it now as I'm going into Elysium with about 20HP and I'm going to get battered by T&A (:eyebrows:). Still, I've got Ares's blade rift cast at Lvl 3 plus Black Metal, so maybe I'll be okay. There's supposed to be a Duo with Artemis that makes the Blade Rifts lethal (something that makes them home in on enemies?) but I doubt my luck will run that far lol.

Had my first EM4 clear earlier. Basically a perfect run with the hidden bow aspect, all the exact boons I wanted. Lovely. Just did another EM4 run and got to redacted again, and was all tooled up with a stack of 3 death defiance read to go, got them down to 1/3 of their health, then the game crashed. 

Loading back up and I'm back at the house of hades like the run never happened :(

Just got this on Saturday as a birthday present (on PS5) and had maybe 7 runs so far. One great run where I took the shield and got to a fight with [Redacted] (and was swiftly annihilated) but had been going great guns to that point.

Really enjoying it so far. And giving out Nectar willy-nilly to all.

I'm reaching the end now too, 1 trophy left (Thanks, but no thanks) and one prophecy left. I haven't done a 32 heat run yet (or a no boon run), and my codex is almost full too (although I'm missing the last fish, and one item from the artifacts tab). 

I'll be sad when this is over as its one of the best games ever.