IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

The only criticism that I can think to level at the game (and it's utterly minor and just something personal to me), is that there is no way of checking which boons you haven't received yet in relation to the various prophecies when you're in the middle of a run. I know that when you're selecting from the list of three boons from a specific god/goddess, ones that you haven't yet chosen are highlighted, but sometimes I just wanted to check for myself which boon I needed and it seems you can only do it from the Scroll of Minor Prophecies in your room.

After about 70 hours of playing (lol, only 10 escapes after about 60 attempts though), that's about it.

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

The only criticism that I can think to level at the game (and it's utterly minor and just something personal to me), is that there is no way of checking which boons you haven't received yet in relation to the various prophecies when you're in the middle of a run. I know that when you're selecting from the list of three boons from a specific god/goddess, ones that you haven't yet chosen are highlighted, but sometimes I just wanted to check for myself which boon I needed and it seems you can only do it from the Scroll of Minor Prophecies in your room.

After about 70 hours of playing (lol, only 10 escapes after about 60 attempts though), that's about it.

I think you can, unless I've misunderstood what you mean. During the run (including when you're on the screen where you're offered the three boons) press RB* to bring up the Codex then Select* on any Olympian or Chaos to see their boons - any you haven't taken yet will have the scroll icon next to them. If you do it from the boon choice screen it will automatically go to that god's page in the Codex for you.

*Xbox controls, Select = the two overlapping squares

36 minutes ago, Darren said:

I think you can, unless I've misunderstood what you mean. During the run (including when you're on the screen where you're offered the three boons) press RB* to bring up the Codex then Select* on any Olympian or Chaos to see their boons - any you haven't taken yet will have the scroll icon next to them. If you do it from the boon choice screen it will automatically go to that god's page in the Codex for you.

I *think* Daedelus Hammers are the exception, IIRC you can only see the lore entry for them but not the list. Works for gods though, aye. That screen is also an essential resource for which boon combos you need for Duos and Legendaries.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Yeah, this - I deliberately chased prophecies for a lot of my time, and it was a two keypress process at the point of being offered the choice of boons to take.

The Codex should initially open on the Olympian whose boons you're choosing from - ah, Darren got that.

5 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Okay so I've been an idiot. I will give this s go next time I play (just finished an escape on Heat 1 with the Spear) and need to start giving nectar out to sweeten all the Olympians now, which take a while.

If it’s any consolation it took me ages to realise you could do it, but it makes boon hunting so much easier.

I'm 17 attempts in now, and just got through Elysium for the first time. (I had a really nice setup where my spear Special did loads of extra damage, and triggered lightning and extra lightning.)

So I cleared Elysium, and then the next area, and met Redacted outside for the first time too. Obviously fell to the second phase where it all kicked off, and back I go to the start.

I'm really enjoying this, it's truly worth all the rave reviews.

45 minutes ago, Pekoe said:

I took a look at this, and never played a rogue like before, think I'm following what to do. Have died twice so far. Are you always making progress each time you run through?

Yeah, you will be collecting darkness, gems and nectar that are used to unlock weapons and abilities for later attempts.

make sure you talk to everyone whenever you get the opportunity!

19 minutes ago, Pekoe said:

I've just made it to Tautarus on I think 8th attempt, is that quite poor and a sign as to whether I'll struggle further into the game or a standard sort of level for first time playing.

It means nothing. You'll continue to improve continue unlock new boons and weapons. 

Learn more story.

Think I didnt get a successful run till 23 attempts. Just keep playing cos it's so much fun tbh, that's what got me hooked. 

Personally I don't think I have ever felt the game unfair or too challenging when I have failed.

Any time I fail I know why and entirely blame myself. That's really something for a game like this. It's very good. 

Sometimes I will find it harder based on boons...a bad or weak combination. But still damage is entirely avoidable. I find usually my failures are down to me rushing. It's too easy to just button mash because it's so fun and satisfying, especially when you have great boons doing lots of damage.

They can often excuse poor play early on but it's then easy to burn through health later on. I always end up feeling like everything has to die as quick as possible and that's just not true (apart from that pact of punishment). 

Actually Thanotos' trinket did help me get better. Knowing a single hit would ruin it's efficacy would keep me focusing on avoiding hits rather than dealing them. 

Despite not having played it yesterday (probably the first day since I bought it that I haven't played while I've been home), I'm so incredibly addicted to this. 

I got the platinum trophy at the end of last week and thought that might stem my interest in continuing to play, but that isn't the case. 

I've decided to set myself some extra tasks to complete, maybe once they're done I can park this and play something else:

Complete all prophecies (1 left, gloves hammer upgrades) 

Max all weapon aspects (3 or 4 left to do) 

Complete a 32 heat run (up to 17 with a couple of weapons) 

Complete a no boon run (eek) 

Buy all the upgrades from the contractor

Finish all journal entries 

That last one is a bit tricky as I have a couple of things missing which are proving tricky (1 fish and one item on the artifacts tab). 

I think I just saved partway through my 20th run. I'm clearing Elysium pretty much every time now. So my first [Redacted] fight was on run 17, and I've seen it once more since then, (and feel likely to fight it a third time when I complete this run - I'm partway through Styx in this save.)

Trying to balance the upgrades you get so your progress through the game (multiple enemies, lots of groups) doesn't completely get invalidated at the boss fight (one person) is a tricky thing. All those chain shot effects don't really get you through at that point.

Still really loving this.

I get to Redacted every time now (mid 20s number of attempts.) As well I should, I guess, with having taken all the Death Defiance available.

Mostly get to the second phase (but not every time) but can't get close enough to defeat that I feel it's getting closer. Really need to think about builds and skills now, I guess. That fight is a doozy. And the boss before isn't a walk in the park.

T&A are pretty hard so I'm wondering what the Extreme Measures version looks like and my brain just went "An open arena would be the worst right?".

I'm not yet up to Heat 6 yet (currently at around 3 or 4) so I'll get to it in due course.

In fact, trying to fulfill the Harsh Conditions prophecy is going to be fun. Especially the Calisthenics one that gives *everyone* 15% extra health...

33 attempts and I finally clear Redacted, which was nice. Should have done it on attempt 32 - using the Fists - for sure (was a centimetre away, and just dodged into damage, rather than away from it.) And a few other close runs too, but 33 and the Rail and I cleared it. And with loads of health and Defiances to spare.

I'd gotten Chill on my special and Hangover on my attack, and I have the mirror perk that ramps the damage for multiple status effects, which obviously really helps. Mostly though, as it always is with these things, it's familiarity, patience and holding your nerve.

Anyway, that's the first clear under my belt. I'm keen to go back in!

This is a really good game.

And my next run was a success too! Turned up the Heat, whatever that is, to 1, and took the Bow Aspect where the special locks onto your Attack for a bit out. Had the selection for 20% extra enemy health on. Didn't seem too bad. Losing the nerves at Redacted makes life a bit easier, because my build was nowhere near as good this time through. (Although, obviously that locked-on element helps.)

I played a bit more this weekend.

For hours and hours and hours.

I think I'm on 150 escape attempts and still was discovering new dialogue. It really cannot be overstated just how rich a world the writing and voice talent imbues into the game. Now that I've done most late stuff (spoilers obviously):

Spoiler

After the epilogue patching things up story, I found characters are falling out with each other again over some of the company I'm keeping*, which feels just like the ups and downs of real families.

Spoiler

Dusa

9 hours ago, Talvalin said:

So, how many attempts did it take you?

Only 

Spoiler

Genuine, too. I kinda got hung up on clearing Prophecies at one point, and never engaged God mode, but I guess I'm getting old.

I've escaped three times on the bounce!

Attempt 33 - Rail (first escape)

Attempt 34 - Bow (w/ 1 Heat - turned enemy health up)

Attempt 35 - Rail (w/1 Heat - the thing where "bosses gain a new tactic", which was very apparent at the furies, but not so much on any of the other guys.)

Does that mean I can go back and do the Bow at 0 Heat and get a reward at the end for a "first" escape still?

I just take whichever weapon has the Dark Thirst on, rather than selecting one out of choice. Next run is with the Blade.

Is there much point throwing Nectar at the Olympian Gods, by the way? It feels like doing so with the Cthonic types is progressing stuff, but the Olympians are all "Entry Complete" so I'm ignoring them for now.

@Uncle Mikethe pact you turned on for attempt 35 (Extreme Measures), each rank of it affects a single boss fight; so rank 1 is just the Tartarus boss, rank 2 affects the Tartarus boss and Asphodel boss, etc.

You can go back and do the initial no heat run with each weapon. The pact screen will show you for each heat level (including zero) which rewards are available on the left. 

Give everyone nectar until they no longer accept it. 

On 01/11/2021 at 13:05, Polmon said:

Despite not having played it yesterday (probably the first day since I bought it that I haven't played while I've been home), I'm so incredibly addicted to this. 

I got the platinum trophy at the end of last week and thought that might stem my interest in continuing to play, but that isn't the case. 

I've decided to set myself some extra tasks to complete, maybe once they're done I can park this and play something else:

Complete a 32 heat run (up to 17 with a couple of weapons) 

Complete a no boon run (eek) 

Buy all the upgrades from the contractor

Finish all journal entries 

That last one is a bit tricky as I have a couple of things missing which are proving tricky (1 fish and one item on the artifacts tab). 

So, I've spent a bit more time on this and managed to tick off a few of the items on my list:

Complete a no boon run:

Spoiler

ydWWZGe.jpeg

I've got all the journal entries now, I just need to get the anvil a load more times to complete that entry. 

Also, I've bought all the contractor upgrades now except for the themes. Got a few of those left, but I'm at the point with a few weapons where I have no more bounties, so I'll start to earn loads more darkness now. 

I'm dreading doing a 32 heat run! No idea what kind of setup on the pacts will make it even close to manageable.