Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

32 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've redacted accordingly. Kinda figured it was old enough (and obvious enough) that it didn't really occur to me. Sorry.

There's one at the end of the previous page too. (We've all done it!)

I get to Redacted every time now (mid 20s number of attempts.) As well I should, I guess, with having taken all the Death Defiance available.

Mostly get to the second phase (but not every time) but can't get close enough to defeat that I feel it's getting closer. Really need to think about builds and skills now, I guess. That fight is a doozy. And the boss before isn't a walk in the park.

T&A are pretty hard so I'm wondering what the Extreme Measures version looks like and my brain just went "An open arena would be the worst right?".

I'm not yet up to Heat 6 yet (currently at around 3 or 4) so I'll get to it in due course.

In fact, trying to fulfill the Harsh Conditions prophecy is going to be fun. Especially the Calisthenics one that gives *everyone* 15% extra health...

33 attempts and I finally clear Redacted, which was nice. Should have done it on attempt 32 - using the Fists - for sure (was a centimetre away, and just dodged into damage, rather than away from it.) And a few other close runs too, but 33 and the Rail and I cleared it. And with loads of health and Defiances to spare.

I'd gotten Chill on my special and Hangover on my attack, and I have the mirror perk that ramps the damage for multiple status effects, which obviously really helps. Mostly though, as it always is with these things, it's familiarity, patience and holding your nerve.

Anyway, that's the first clear under my belt. I'm keen to go back in!

This is a really good game.

And my next run was a success too! Turned up the Heat, whatever that is, to 1, and took the Bow Aspect where the special locks onto your Attack for a bit out. Had the selection for 20% extra enemy health on. Didn't seem too bad. Losing the nerves at Redacted makes life a bit easier, because my build was nowhere near as good this time through. (Although, obviously that locked-on element helps.)

I played a bit more this weekend.

For hours and hours and hours.

I think I'm on 150 escape attempts and still was discovering new dialogue. It really cannot be overstated just how rich a world the writing and voice talent imbues into the game. Now that I've done most late stuff (spoilers obviously):

Spoiler

After the epilogue patching things up story, I found characters are falling out with each other again over some of the company I'm keeping*, which feels just like the ups and downs of real families.

Spoiler

Dusa

9 hours ago, Talvalin said:

So, how many attempts did it take you?

Only 

Spoiler

Genuine, too. I kinda got hung up on clearing Prophecies at one point, and never engaged God mode, but I guess I'm getting old.

I’m really getting close to resolving most of the main storylines now, after 108 escape attempts. 

just need lots more diamonds having squandered all of mine on ridiculous lounge decorations!

I've escaped three times on the bounce!

Attempt 33 - Rail (first escape)

Attempt 34 - Bow (w/ 1 Heat - turned enemy health up)

Attempt 35 - Rail (w/1 Heat - the thing where "bosses gain a new tactic", which was very apparent at the furies, but not so much on any of the other guys.)

Does that mean I can go back and do the Bow at 0 Heat and get a reward at the end for a "first" escape still?

I just take whichever weapon has the Dark Thirst on, rather than selecting one out of choice. Next run is with the Blade.

Is there much point throwing Nectar at the Olympian Gods, by the way? It feels like doing so with the Cthonic types is progressing stuff, but the Olympians are all "Entry Complete" so I'm ignoring them for now.

@Uncle Mikethe pact you turned on for attempt 35 (Extreme Measures), each rank of it affects a single boss fight; so rank 1 is just the Tartarus boss, rank 2 affects the Tartarus boss and Asphodel boss, etc.

You can go back and do the initial no heat run with each weapon. The pact screen will show you for each heat level (including zero) which rewards are available on the left. 

Give everyone nectar until they no longer accept it. 

On 01/11/2021 at 13:05, Polmon said:

Despite not having played it yesterday (probably the first day since I bought it that I haven't played while I've been home), I'm so incredibly addicted to this. 

I got the platinum trophy at the end of last week and thought that might stem my interest in continuing to play, but that isn't the case. 

I've decided to set myself some extra tasks to complete, maybe once they're done I can park this and play something else:

Complete all prophecies (1 left, gloves hammer upgrades) 

Max all weapon aspects (3 or 4 left to do) 

Complete a 32 heat run (up to 17 with a couple of weapons) 

Complete a no boon run (eek) 

Buy all the upgrades from the contractor

Finish all journal entries 

That last one is a bit tricky as I have a couple of things missing which are proving tricky (1 fish and one item on the artifacts tab). 

So, I've spent a bit more time on this and managed to tick off a few of the items on my list:

Complete all prophecies (1 left, gloves hammer upgrades) 

Max all weapon aspects (3 or 4 left to do) 

Complete a no boon run:

Spoiler

ydWWZGe.jpeg

I've got all the journal entries now, I just need to get the anvil a load more times to complete that entry. 

Also, I've bought all the contractor upgrades now except for the themes. Got a few of those left, but I'm at the point with a few weapons where I have no more bounties, so I'll start to earn loads more darkness now. 

I'm dreading doing a 32 heat run! No idea what kind of setup on the pacts will make it even close to manageable. 

I've got 6 escapes under my belt now: 2 each with Bow and Rail, and then one with the Fists and the Shield. All (except my first with the Rail) at 1 Heat. I've settled on the Heat that gives all the enemies a one-hit shield as being essentially free.

I had a big gap between Escape 3 and 4. Was worrying that I'd lost my mojo. I think it turned out to be one of those times where you're getting better at something (in this case, constructing a build over a run) and it temporarily makes you worse because you're focussing on it.

Hopefully, it's all progress from here! Love this game.

On 11/11/2021 at 22:37, Polmon said:

I'm dreading doing a 32 heat run! No idea what kind of setup on the pacts will make it even close to manageable. 

I never managed it, it was the last 'thing' I had to do, but couldn't be bothered in the end.  I got my 200 hours worth of value from it :D

7 hours ago, robdood said:

I never managed it, it was the last 'thing' I had to do, but couldn't be bothered in the end.  I got my 200 hours worth of value from it :D

I got to the final phase of EM4 on heat 32 with a zeus shield setup. Got done in by a trap (150 damage!) while dodging a flurry of things going on. I was hoping to get Sure footing from athena at some point but didn't get the chance :(

Honestly though, I didn't expect to get that far anyway, so quite chuffed with that. 

In other news, I ended up doing no boon runs with all the weapons:

Spoiler

F0Sw8MG.jpeg

ZIsRo9p.jpeg

dyQ5HQn.jpeg

FlsMlaD.jpeg

bQAL5tB.jpeg

Aaaand that's the 32 heat run completed:

Spoiler

9zmKXQd.jpeg

I did an abortive hidden sword aspect run first, which saw me wipe in Elysium fighting some insane teleporting super speed spear guys that I couldn't even get a hit in against.

Next run I decided to try the shield, going with Zeus aspect for its room clearing / chip abilities. I took the eternal rose keepsake to start with, aiming to get Aphro attach, Zeus special, and Athena dash. Had pretty much the perfect start, got aphrodite attack boon out the door, then Charged Shot a few Chambers later which set up the whole run.

I was feeling confident, and decided to offset the Convenience Fee pact (+80% prices) by fighting Charon (which is quite easy with Charged shot and some patience). Managed to do it only losing 1 death defiance, and came out of Tartarus with only the Aphro boon (had to sell the second boon for Underworld Customs pact). 

I switched keepsake to Zeus' for Asphodel, and managed to get his special, a few rooms later I got Athena but couldn't select the dash due to approval process, so took sure footing instead. 

I sailed through Asphodel, got Strong Drink (plus an extra fountain), got the special and attack boons rarity increased by Euridice. Sold a random hermes boon I didn't want after the boss (I think it was hyper sprint?). 

For Elysium I switched keepsake to Athena aiming for her dash and hopefully one of the boons that restores a death defiance (I wanted to keep Partoclus' gift for the damage buff, and didn't want to buy the kiss of styx as it was 288 Obol). I got the Athenas dash early on, got a second hammer with the attack buff on block (sweet!), then Zeus cast, and Side hustle from hermes. Ended up buying a kiss of styx,but avoided all the shops aiming to get a hermes boon in Styx (which would cost about 700 Obol). Beat the champions without issue, and purged Side hustle (hoping this would force a hermes boon). I switched trinket to the pom blossom expecting that I would be running some extra Chambers. 

Styx had what I needed, hermes boon, health up, and cheap boon. I had to run all but one of Chambers to get the money needed, but got the hermes boon which gave me an epic Greater Reflex (+3 dash), jackpot! I also snagged some bonus Aphro boons (dmg bonus vs weak and greater weak effect), which set things up perfectly. Ended up going into the redacted fight with 3 death defiances, and just under full health of 300.

The fight was a mess, I dealt with the first phase well until the mini bosses appeared, which let to a mad benny hill situation of me dodging all over the place avoiding a Soul Catcher, Wretched Sneak and Skull Crusher, and trying to keep an eye on redacted while still throwing out the shield and some shots. It took a while, and 1 DD but I put all the mini bosses down then finished phase 1. Phase 2 was easy peasy, got hit a couple of times, but nothing major and didn't lose a DD. Only having to track 1 enemy made a huge difference. I mostly used the shield to take out the exploding skulls if they didn't hit my shield (and disappear), and just focus fired on redacted. 

Phase 3 was a real pain, I kept losing track of redacted, and got hit in the back when they repositioned. Lost 2 DD, and was on the verge of panic but managed to regain my composure and stuck close to him, concentrated on blocking and dodging, then attacking in the openings, and whittled him down. It was super satisfying when I landed the final hit. 

As a bonus, I bagged a Sturgeon from the fishing spot too! 

This only stuff left now is to get the spear and exagryph up to 20 heat for the remaining bounties, then unlock the last couple of themes, and I'm completely done. Oh, and get the anvil a few more times for the complete entry in the codex. I still haven't figured out the trick to getting it to spawn. 

I've now escaped sufficient times to get to an ending and see the credits. I've escaped at least once with every weapon.

I'm up to about 3 Heat now, and slowly working my way up (which is obviously what you're supposed to do - turn the Heat up in single increments - given the bounty system?)

Is there another ending somewhere down the line as well?

On 21/11/2021 at 09:17, Uncle Mike said:

I've now escaped sufficient times to get to an ending and see the credits. I've escaped at least once with every weapon.

I'm up to about 3 Heat now, and slowly working my way up (which is obviously what you're supposed to do - turn the Heat up in single increments - given the bounty system?)

Is there another ending somewhere down the line as well?

Yes, the story continues. You should get some new prophecies around it. 

Recently notched my 100th successful escape attempt. Every run is still fun, challenging, fraught, manic, fantastic. Ohh it's the best game. (Might actually be the best game?)

Nice work @Polmon! Loved the account, I could feel the panic you described in my very bones 😅

Hoping to join you soonish:

Spoiler

I'm up to at least 15 heat with every weapon, pretty consistent clears if I'm using my fave aspects/builds. Once I've ticked off all the bounties I'm planning to try for 20 heat with every aspect, to get me out of my comfort zone a bit... and then maybe 32 heat with every aspect? I read this very good blog by someone who'd done that. It's a fun aspirational target but might be utterly impossible, I'll have to see how I go!