IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

• 2 weeks later...

Up to run 124 or something, slowing down on this now as I’ve done most of the things I wanted too. Just trying to clear up a few achievements

Spoiler

Struggling with Thanatos butterfly getting up to 30% , failed with long range weapons so think I will go with the shield next, also trying to do heat 16, pretty sure redacted will give me a good kicking when I make it to him!

Finally collected all the bounties, and have made the jump up to 32 heat. Holy moly it's quite a thing. Nearly cracked it on fourth or fifth attempt, but fell at the final hurdle:

Spoiler

Using Zag fists, I got Drunken Strike and Mistral Dash early on, so had consistent Privileged Status going on. Got Exclusive Access too, so other boons were tasty (+20% dodge from Hermes, Strong Drink) and the ones I had to purge were worth a bit more.

I've switched over to Stubborn Defiance (better on this heat, I think) and I got Kiss of Styx Dark from Patty. Champions went down pretty easily and I ventured into my first 32-heat Styx. Then had to go down 4 tunnels, so my Kiss of Styx ran out :( Finally got ganked with Redacted down to about 20% health on his second phase, so that extra 30% health for me would have likely been the difference. Blood and pissing darkness!

Grabbed this in the end of year sale on PSN last week and I haven’t been able to stop playing it.

Finally beat Redacted for the first time after 22hrs and 27 runs, not normally keen on playing games for 50+ hrs however I might make an exception as can’t see me stopping anytime soon and definitely want to see credits before I stop playing.

Another two runs and another completion, was looking at platinum but might take me to long so think I’ll say I’ve ‘finished’ the game after seeing the credits.

Spoiler

Completed this time with a Pact of Punishment condition enabled.

10 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

Another two runs and another completion, was looking at platinum but might take me to long so think I’ll say I’ve ‘finished’ the game after seeing the credits.

Reveal hidden contents

Completed this time with a Pact of Punishment condition enabled.

I gave up on the xbox equivalent of a platinum tbh. Got to 70 odd hours played and was missing several prophecies, do plan to go back to it at some point but was very much burnt out trying to grind runs to get the right criteria I needed to finish it. 

I think the game does encourage you to finish where you feel happy to, really. The later unlocks and upgrades are subtle rather than game-changing, so you don't miss out on big chunks of enjoyment.

That said, I still haven't got bored, and I did the thing.

Spoiler

Thirty. Two. Heat.

After two truly horrible runs where I died to the Furies (the indignity!), it would only be logical to go all the way next time. Hades Spear, the best spear (fight me). Aphrodite Special (with Exploding Launcher) and Demeter Attack before the end of Asphodel, so basically all damage I did was buffed by Privileged Status and my aspect. Then I just kept getting the right boons, so having to sell a few didn't ding the build. Zeus's Aid with Smoldering Air and a buff, Stubborn Roots...

Certainly a few hairy moments along the way, and was lucky to get Patroclus (feels like he's absolutely required for this heat, whichever version of Defiance you're using). Still, once I realised during [REDACTED]'s second phase that I was definitely going to do it this time, it was pretty bloody euphoric.

I should probably stop now. I want to get back into Stardew Valley, and reduce my average resting heart rate. But I haven't unlocked all the Resource Manger ranks yet, and if I'm farming darkness, there's always the joy of self-imposed challenge. That records screen that shows you the best heat you've achieved with each weapon, and aspect, and boon, and upgrade, and companion... you could have some completist fun with that, right? 😈🤓

33hrs in and now managed 3 escapes in a row with 5 in total, hopefully should see ending with credits by end of week then I’ll decide if I want to continue playing.

Still enjoying each run and am starting to experiment with casting and other none weapon based boons which are definitely helping me progress through my runs easier, fighting redacted still feels pretty tough though and was close to dying on my last two escapes.

On 08/01/2022 at 00:20, ZOK said:

I escaped once and then stopped playing…as much as I loved it the endless dash attacking was crippling my hand.

Tried the game via Gamepass this evening, and this is the main reason I'm stopping. I could feel my right hand getting worse as I was playing this. The other reason is that I'm just not that fussed on it anyway. I got up to the Meg boss fight, but these retro style games have never been my thing. Can see why many people rate it though, what little writing I saw was actually really good, and despite it being retro in style, the visual design is quite striking.

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

What's kept you playing then?

The simple fact that it's a bloody good game. :)

I put it on again last night just to see if it clicked ... there may have been some clicking. :coffee:

Started this on GamePass last night despite, <gasp in horror> not really knowing what it was. I'd just seen some of the combat in a video and thought "that looks cool".

And it is!! Really cool. And so well presented. The artwork is stunning and the VA work is just fantastic!

Looking forward to getting really stuck in tonight - was rudely interrupted by the 15 month old waking up and wanting a cuddle.

I'm really bad at this.

I've done a few sessions on it at this stage and I'm making some progress unlocking starting bonuses and upgrades but I haven't gotten past the Bone Hydra yet. 

It's clearly a very, very good game.

I'm still stuck once I get to Elysium. The enemies there are are not fun to fight. I keep playing though to upgrade Zagreus so that I'll be in a better position to get through it. Is it me, or is Thanatos more of a hindrance than a help when he turns up? He's also a complete tool.  

I'm really enjoying the little stories in this though, never thought a game based around Greek mythoogy would make Medusa its most endearing character. :) 

Yeah, I still find Elysium tough with the melee weapons.

Thanatos is an interesting one, as you need to be really aggressive to beat him in kill count, but all you really get for winning an a centaur heart, so it can be better to just focus on not taking damage if you don't need the health boost. 

6 minutes ago, smac said:

I saw him more as a build test - if you can't beat him, your build won't get you to the end. You're either not doing enough damage, or you can't direct it sufficiently.

Ooooh, that's an interesting way of looking at it...

With all the Acivision/Blizzard talk, I forgot to post in here to say I beat Theseus during my lunch break! Yay! Got the next area to have a little peek in this evening. 

And now I seem to be going backwards.

Spoiler

After giving Hades a decent go, I got right back to him on the next run and got him ... "lol, boy, my health bar refills!", and then he wiped the floor with me. It pissed me off even though I know it shouldn't, the same happens in Returnal and I daresay countless other games. But my two runs after that were shit, I felt weak and underpowered on both runs and didn't make it past Elysium. :(

Yes, that'll happen. That's about a mirror of my experience, where the first time I cleared Elysium I went all the way (to then fail), then there was a reasonable lull before I took Redacted down for the first time, where I didn't feel like I was making much progress. But you are.

It's time to start understanding which boons you like, which weapons you prefer, and how to use the choices that present themselves to get the right balance of general room clearance versus big boss readiness. Theseus and Asterius serve as a good preview in that regard.

Cheers, I've pretty much put all my eggs into one basket, that basket being the shield which I've upgraded to lvl 4. I've left the others. I may have made a mistake there...