IGNORED

Hades - coming to Xbox and PlayStation Aug 13th!

robdood

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

What's kept you playing then?

The simple fact that it's a bloody good game. :)

I put it on again last night just to see if it clicked ... there may have been some clicking. :coffee:

Started this on GamePass last night despite, <gasp in horror> not really knowing what it was. I'd just seen some of the combat in a video and thought "that looks cool".

And it is!! Really cool. And so well presented. The artwork is stunning and the VA work is just fantastic!

Looking forward to getting really stuck in tonight - was rudely interrupted by the 15 month old waking up and wanting a cuddle.

I'm really bad at this.

I've done a few sessions on it at this stage and I'm making some progress unlocking starting bonuses and upgrades but I haven't gotten past the Bone Hydra yet. 

It's clearly a very, very good game.

I'm still stuck once I get to Elysium. The enemies there are are not fun to fight. I keep playing though to upgrade Zagreus so that I'll be in a better position to get through it. Is it me, or is Thanatos more of a hindrance than a help when he turns up? He's also a complete tool.  

I'm really enjoying the little stories in this though, never thought a game based around Greek mythoogy would make Medusa its most endearing character. :) 

Yeah, I still find Elysium tough with the melee weapons.

Thanatos is an interesting one, as you need to be really aggressive to beat him in kill count, but all you really get for winning an a centaur heart, so it can be better to just focus on not taking damage if you don't need the health boost. 

6 minutes ago, smac said:

I saw him more as a build test - if you can't beat him, your build won't get you to the end. You're either not doing enough damage, or you can't direct it sufficiently.

Ooooh, that's an interesting way of looking at it...

With all the Acivision/Blizzard talk, I forgot to post in here to say I beat Theseus during my lunch break! Yay! Got the next area to have a little peek in this evening. 

And now I seem to be going backwards.

Spoiler

After giving Hades a decent go, I got right back to him on the next run and got him ... "lol, boy, my health bar refills!", and then he wiped the floor with me. It pissed me off even though I know it shouldn't, the same happens in Returnal and I daresay countless other games. But my two runs after that were shit, I felt weak and underpowered on both runs and didn't make it past Elysium. :(

Yes, that'll happen. That's about a mirror of my experience, where the first time I cleared Elysium I went all the way (to then fail), then there was a reasonable lull before I took Redacted down for the first time, where I didn't feel like I was making much progress. But you are.

It's time to start understanding which boons you like, which weapons you prefer, and how to use the choices that present themselves to get the right balance of general room clearance versus big boss readiness. Theseus and Asterius serve as a good preview in that regard.

Cheers, I've pretty much put all my eggs into one basket, that basket being the shield which I've upgraded to lvl 4. I've left the others. I may have made a mistake there...

After your first win, you'll be given the option to make things harder for yourself (the Heat level) which in turn grants you new items upon beating each of the bosses for a combination of Heat level and weapon, so on the assumption that you keep playing, you'll be able to upgrade the other weapons in due course, should you want to do so.

I remain absolutely terrible with the bow, despite various accounts of it (or one of its Aspects) being overpowered so I tend to stick with the fists and the shield myself.

10 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I remain absolutely terrible with the bow, despite various accounts of it (or one of its Aspects) being overpowered

I don't like the Bow at all, but it's the weapon I have the most success with. Annoying. The aspect that turns the Special into homing arrows is very easy to use.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I haven't won yet though, and the game feels harder again. Maybe I've just been unlucky with the boons on the last couple of runs.

I had that exact experience, if it's any consolation. I think, in retrospect, what happens is that on a random run you're now good enough that a luckily relatively overpowered build can propel you to the end, but your more common ones can't. So you got there once like a dream, but can't replicate it. I just went back a few pages to early Nov, and I see that exact same story there for my progress. I first saw Redacted on attempt 17, saw him again on 18, then a gap until somewhere in the 20s before I started getting there again and consistently. Didn't take him down for the first time until attempt 33.

So you need to improve (slightly) but more importantly, learn how to create those OP builds. Do you force the RNG to give you more Gods than it naturally would so as to maximise the 5% per God bonus on that mirror item? Or preferentially select the boons that can reliably do the higher %age per status effect? Is the Athena dash shield an essential? Which weapons are you most effective with? Which keepsakes do you select, and at what times?

Just checked which attempt it was that I first got a shot at REDACTED ... #40! 

Edit: This could be because only now have I given Achilles a gift for the first time. :facepalm:  

Maybe Achilles' gift helped, maybe it didn't, but escape attempt 49, where everything caused lightning to strike enemies, was a success. I had another go afterward, but this feels like a grind now.  

Really fucking good game, and would have made my B list for rllmuk's GOTY awards had I played it sooner. :)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Maybe Achilles' gift helped, maybe it didn't, but escape attempt 49, where everything caused lightning to strike enemies, was a success. I had another go afterward, but this feels like a grind now.  

Really fucking good game, and would have made my B list for rllmuk's GOTY awards had I played it sooner. :)

Also Thor: "I'm stopping" :)

Am enjoying reading folks discovering this game. I absolutely loved it around launch time.

I'm sure some forumites have done far more than this, and I never pushed heat much beyond 7 or 8, but I still think I rinsed it pretty hard:
image.png.7edde6e86177d2b8c9274380207ed38b.png 

Once you've fully unlocked some of the aspects you can really do some super interesting niche builds. If you're really into it, definitely worth watching some YouTube on it to see how to improve your builds, the most powerful synergies etc.

Absolutely discover as much as you can, but I also enjoy learning about some cool stuff I might never have worked out.

I beat Redacted last night on run 42 with the shield so I'm happy to be better at videogames than Thor at least. ^_^ 

It was a strange run as I had gotten to the Hydra thinking I hadn't a great build at that point but then it clicked that I needed to be use my special way more and I was capable of doing huge damage. I had a level 5 Artemis call and a constant charge boon so I was regularly able to get in close and dole out a lot of punishment. 

Spoiler

I'd have done it on run 40 but I got sloppy when I thought I had the fight finished before I knew the bugger regenerated his health.